Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

why are the japanese so great at repros?

daddy-o

One of the Regulars
Just had a look at the Real MCCoy Japan catalogue and WOW. It´s just not fair is it ? Why do they get such a huge choice of fantastic repros? I would love to buy half the stuff in that catalogue. Fabulous repros -work shirt, sweats, t-shirts, jackets etc. So I am wondering why are the japanese so good at it? Are there soooo many people dressing hep and retro in Japan ? And why isnt this stuff sold outside Japan? And WHY none of the japanese internet shops speak english or bother to send outside Japan I also dont understand. They dont wanna make money ? Ok so Eastman has a a very small Buzz Ricksons selection (about 5 percent of the regular catalogue), HP in the US have a bit of BR, some Sugar Cane and that´s IT ! The rest of the world gets to rely on the odd seller on ebay selling a Real McCoy shirt or a dry Bones gab jacket usually at very high prices. i am afraid LVC is just no match for these japanese repro makers. Ok , I got it off my chest , so all yer cool folks can have a go now.....

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
There are likely enough sociological theories to fill a small library as to the reasons for the high quality of most Japanese goods. I'll not open that (exquisitely wrapped and presented;) ) can of worms. The one thing that I notice everytime I'm in Japan (each year) is that Japanese customers expect the best. The usually get it and they pay a premium for it. As to the question of how many people there actually wear these repro goods; I do see them. Mostly men sporting killer A-2s and LVCs etc. I think that the companies don't really need to cater to the English speaking market since these items fetch such high prices there. Some sellers do sell to the U.S. and when you do find one that is willing I'll bet that you get top service. Alas, nothing can be done about your (or mine) wanting everything in these catalogs. Nothing except: A.Bankruptcy
B.Keep looking for sources here
C.Save your dough and hop on the next flight to Narita airport!

Best of luck and enjoy the addiction. It lasts a lifetime!;)

National compulsion?

It seems that the Japanese have an obession with completeness and correctness when it come to the goods they buy. It assumes an outlook of what is the most difficult way to do something and then become superbly proficient in that process.

You need to see the pens they make in the urushi lacquer where they build a picture using gold and other colors. Maki-e is the name of the art work process and it is stunning!

Check it out here!
http://www.kamakurapens.com/MakieAdventures.html

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
John in Covina said:
It assumes an outlook of what is the most difficult way to do something and then become superbly proficient in that process.

On the down side, it can also create waste. My dad went to Japanese department stores in the high-flying '80s: he'd buy a sweater and they'd wrap it in layer upon layer of tissue, box within box within box, then in a bag within another bag. The amount of paper used was staggering. And this wasn't even gift-wrapping!

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
John in Covina said:
It seems that the Japanese have an obession with completeness and correctness when it come to the goods they buy. It assumes an outlook of what is the most difficult way to do something and then become superbly proficient in that process.

You need to see the pens they make in the urushi lacquer where they build a picture using gold and other colors. Maki-e is the name of the art work process and it is stunning!

Check it out here!
http://www.kamakurapens.com/MakieAdventures.html
Those are some amazing pens alright! I especially liked the story of the Buddhist monks blessing each pen before they are sold. Interesting stuff indeed.

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
Marc Chevalier said:
On the down side, it can also create waste. My dad went to Japanese department stores in the high-flying '80s: he'd buy a sweater and they'd wrap it in layer upon layer of tissue, box within box within box, then in a bag within another bag. The amount of paper used was staggering. And this wasn't even gift-wrapping!

I'm afraid that they still do that. It's lovely to look at but, as you mentioned it's a lot of material used.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
I'm a proud owner of many goods from Toyo Enterprise Co., Japan(Buzz Rickson... etc....).

From WW2 repro Flight jackets, to Denim and Chambray, even footwear.

There is NO COMPROMISE in both customers' requirements and suppliers' offerings- hence the re-engineering and re-production of even 1930s zippers and snaps.

If it's a repro WW2 flight jacket, then it must have a WW2 zipper- if it's a pre-war offering, then a pre-war zipper... simple as that. Can't find any..? well, manufacture them!

Details and the Devil.

I love this and other Japanes ethics.

B
T

BigSleep

One of the Regulars
Sefton said:
I'm afraid that they still do that. It's lovely to look at but, as you mentioned it's a lot of material used.

It's all about "presentation".

I used to work at a commercial art studio where my boss always had us prepare our art for presentation to the client. This meant that if we created a piece of art the size of a half dollar we mounted it on a heavey cardboard, gave plenty of space around it, put a cut matt around it, a cell overlay for protection, a tissue, and some cover stock, then we put our sticker on it. I once asked her why we did that when it was all going to be torn off and the art put under a camera. She said "They are paying us a lot of money for this art and each piece, no matter how small, should look like a little jewel. It should be presented with care. It is something of value."

That has always stuck with me.

Think about the Japanese tea ceremony. Isnt that all about the presentation?

pablocham

One of the Regulars
daddy-o said:
Just had a look at the Real MCCoy Japan catalogue and WOW. It´s just not fair is it ? Why do they get such a huge choice of fantastic repros? I would love to buy half the stuff in that catalogue. Fabulous repros -work shirt, sweats, t-shirts, jackets etc. So I am wondering why are the japanese so good at it? Are there soooo many people dressing hep and retro in Japan ? And why isnt this stuff sold outside Japan? And WHY none of the japanese internet shops speak english or bother to send outside Japan I also dont understand. They dont wanna make money ? Ok so Eastman has a a very small Buzz Ricksons selection (about 5 percent of the regular catalogue), HP in the US have a bit of BR, some Sugar Cane and that´s IT ! The rest of the world gets to rely on the odd seller on ebay selling a Real McCoy shirt or a dry Bones gab jacket usually at very high prices. i am afraid LVC is just no match for these japanese repro makers. Ok , I got it off my chest , so all yer cool folks can have a go now.....

To heck with HPA. You can order straight from japan, just like I do: http://cornellsurgery.com/v-web/bulletin/bb/viewtopic.php?t=3822

LaMedicine

One Too Many
As a Japanese, I could not help but laugh while reading this thread.
Thank you everyone, for your accolades on behalf of all our eccentric, fanatic and perfectionist craftsmen (and their customers).

I am inclined to think we have a natural tendency towards perfection because we have available at all times before our eyes, artifacts from all channels that date back more then 1000 years in many cases, that are still kept in good condition and in use to this day, with many of the methods still intact so exact copies can be made by experienced craftsmen even to this day. Because of this exposure, we are trained for perfection without even being aware.:D

Let me tell you a story I got from my father. He headed a Japanese government-subsidised organization called Japan Synthetic Textile Inspection Institute Foundation for several years until his retirement 15 years ago. This is an organization that checks the quality of synthetic textiles both imported and made in Japan. My father told me once that JSTIIF got numerous complaints from foreign textile manufacturers asking why their products were rejected by Japanese clothing companies for very minute--almost unnoticeable, and never pointed out nor rejected by US/European manufacturers-- flaws after passing JTIIF's requirements with flying colors. The response JTIIF gave was that they tested for the quality of fabric per regulations regarding chemicals, fabric durability and such, and for flaws that could be seen at a glance, but anything beyond that was up to the individual companies' descretion. Neither the testing agency nor the government was going to meddle with indvidual company policies.

Sefton said:
The wrapping scene is pretty much what has been descibed here, but it is getting to be more simplified these days, if you ask for it. The store clerks will invariably ask a shopper if the item is for personal use, and would you prefer simple wrapping--which means wrapping in thin crepe paper, then placing in a store bag or wrapping in store paper, or wrapping directly in a bag or wrapping paper depending on the merchandise. If you tell the clerk that you don't need boxes, they'll wrap without boxing. It's just a matter of asking, and I imagine as a foreigner you end up with the wrap for presentation situation because you don't ask, and the clerks are too scared to speak English and ask, in case they may offend you.lol

BigSleep said:
Think about the Japanese tea ceremony. Isnt that all about the presentation?
The tea ceromony is about spirituality, not presentation. Think in lines of Zen.;)
Japanese flower arrangements are about presentation. So are Bonsai.lol

Incidentally, I got my own taste of perfectionism a couple of years ago, when I imported online a lovely vintage inspired dress. It is beautiful in every way, but the first time I inspected it, my eyes zoomed in almost instantly on a very minute print flaw, but a flaw none-the-less, which is almost invisible to the eye. I remembered my father's story, and laughed at myself for noticing such a small flaw.:rolleyes: lol

gimmesomeshelte

Familiar Face
All-

I've always found it sad that so many American's are reluctant to pay for quality. I was talking to a vendor of vintage VW parts. They carried a Brazilian window latch for $7 and a German made one for $15. Even to the untrained eye, the German one was a much better made part. Given the choice, most people bought the less expensive part.

Paul-

Repro Guy

New in Town
Simple.

British (and presumably American) customers just dont wanna pay for real quality anymore. If you expect cheap prices, hey you'll get cheap prices, but you'll also get cheap quality too.

People prefer to buy a polyester mix suit for £80 that might last them a season, instead of getting a bespoke suit at £500++ which can literally last a lifetime, if it still fits.

People largely expect non-designer jeans to cost no more than £30, and there are now retailers here selling jeans for £8 -- so don't be surprised when you get £8's quality's worth of attention to detail, quality of fabric, potential longevity.... etc.

LVC, Sugar Cane etc will never take of across the mainstream because the branding is not loud enough to signify you paid a lot of money.

"You're paying £130 for Levis!!!! ?" (or a levis direct copy, like Sugar Cane)

If Sugar Cane etc ever take off hugely here, they will have to add a goudy back pocket design to differentiate they are actually 'designer' jeans. :rolleyes:

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I think a scene from the 2003 movie "The Lsst Samurai," makes a fitting comment. The American cavalryman Capt Nathan Algren observes in his journal that he is amazed by the discipline of the Japanese people, and notes that all they pursue and achieve is done in perfection.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy