Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why!!!! Hipsters!!! Why!!!!!

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
Mainstream country music has been formulated by experts to be 100 per cent irony-free. If you can't appreciate it at face value, you can't appreciate it at all.

We're not going to see another Urban Cowboy resurgence anytime soon, although it would be nice to hear more good old western swing music. At least where I am - we're too far west for classic swing and too far north for western swing.

After reuniting with my "old country" roots (I was a fan from a young child until my teens), I realize what you say is true Fletch.
One of my favorite XM channels is 56, Willie's Roadhouse. Old school and great.
Today's country IS a version of pop. Anyone with a somewhat Southern sounding accent is marketed as the next Country star.
Not in my house.

After reuniting with my "old country" roots (I was a fan from a young child until my teens), I realize what you say is true Fletch.
One of my favorite XM channels is 56, Willie's Roadhouse. Old school and great.
Today's country IS a version of pop. Anyone with a somewhat Southern sounding accent is marketed as the next Country star.
Not in my house.
so you are saying Modern Country = Hipster music. :p

GoldenEraFan

One Too Many
I think they'd be happier in California or New York. Those big cities are more conducive to weirdos.

NYC is already over saturated with hipsters, 1 percenters and yuppies. Mayor Bloomberg basically re-built the entire city for them, so in retrospect now that they're so common you can't even consider them a true NY weirdo anymore. There's too many of them and thanks to their trust funds my neighborhood has become unaffordable to live in. If they're so obsessed with biking and farming like in Europe, why don't they just move there?

NYC is already over saturated with hipsters, 1 percenters and yuppies. Mayor Bloomberg basically re-built the entire city for them, so in retrospect now that they're so common you can't even consider them a true NY weirdo anymore. There's too many of them and thanks to their trust funds my neighborhood has become unaffordable to live in. If they're so obsessed with biking and farming like in Europe, why don't they just move there?

The great irony, people move to the "country" but insist on bringing the "city" with them. Transforming the country into the city and the cycle repeats.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
The question is how much city is too much. You find espresso drive-ins all over the rural Pacific Northwest and nobody considers them citified. Then again, truckers go there. Then again, a trucker in Washington is not a trucker in Wisconsin. Put them in a room and they might not agree on anything until you threw a highway patrolman in there. lol

I feel sheepish liking 20s and 30s music in a college town in Iowa. It meant something in places like this once, but now it's only relevant in the big city culture that created it. I take my singing practice walking around town, but when people get near, I choke.

Last edited:
That's always my question. I live a simple, country way of life. I don't try to change where I live, because I like the way it is. I don't move elsewhere and tell them that they need to make their town more to my liking. Why do they have to do it to us?

If they're so obsessed with biking and farming like in Europe, why don't they just move there?

Yup. We had so many old hippies buy farms around us and then complain about the smell of manure and gunshots during deer season. You do realize where you moved to, right?

The great irony, people move to the "country" but insist on bringing the "city" with them. Transforming the country into the city and the cycle repeats.

Maybe in the city, but folks where I live won't go for it.

They will build them.:p

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender

Occasionally the country scares them off. Thank goodness.

Or they get lost in the woods trying to hunt. (This happened frequently, like 3 or 4 times a year where I grew up. Most of the time they found the person. Most of the time.) Or their kids decided to dive into the local falls because it looked cool. (This happened about once a year, and the kids needed to be airlifted out because most of the time they missed the jump. Most of the time.)

Last edited:

falis

New in Town
We're all people; an awful lot of us here are Americans. There's plenty of room for different ways of looking at things, and we're stronger and better when we try to understand those ones that don't apparently look at things the same way we do. My take is that even the most abominable of people considers him or herself to be the hero of his story. There's something to take out of that. Doesn't necessarily mean that the behaviors are tolerable.

And hey, we like hats.

- Ed

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner