Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why Is It Hard To Find Big Sizes?

MJL

One of the Regulars
I have a 7 7/8 size head. I have the worst time finding hats to fit. Why is it that even new hats are hard to find above 7 3/4? I would love to get in on some of the deals on ebay but none of those hats are even close to my size. Are they more "big head boned" people out there consuming the big hats or am I am in some weird big-head-freak-show minority?

Kentucky Blues

A-List Customer
We have another member, Canadave I believe, with a head size as large as yours, and he's a long oval, so I think he's a bit bigger. And yes, you are a minority, there never have been many people (in comparison) with a head that large, and therefore there aren't many hats that size, new or old. Keep trying though :D

Dave Keith

Familiar Face
fellowship of the big melon

As a bonafide member of the fellowship of the big melon (7 5/8 or 7 3/4 depending of the make of hat) I share your grief when looking at eBay. It would help my self-esteem if I thought that we were evolving with bigger heads to hold larger brains, but I fear that the evidence of current events contradicts any theory of increasing intelligence on the part of humans.

How did our ancestors accomplish so much with such small craniums?

Other than my hat size, all the above is expressed with tongue firmly in cheek!

MJL

One of the Regulars
Well, maybe I ought to start a self help group. Perhaps I can call it:

B enevolent
O rder
O f
B ig Headed People

It looks like there are some big noggened folks out there looking for quality headware. I reckon at least we can comiserate here.

nicolasb

Familiar Face
I'm a US size 7 5/8, but even that seems to be unusually large, so my heart goes out to anyone who is a 7 7/8. (I have additional problems, of course, in that my head is curiously flattened at the back, so hats in what ought to be the right size are usually too narrow. That, or the crown hits the top of my head before the brim comes down far enough to sit properly.)

gdkenoyer

Familiar Face
Dave Keith said:
Because they didn't have network news to fill our cranial cavities with crap...?

...a relatively small 7 1/2 here :cool:

nicolasb

Familiar Face
Sadly we're victims of probability and economic theories. It's not that there aren't (or weren't) any people with large heads, it's just that aren't very many of them. The amount of money most hat-makers would get from selling hats in our sizes would be smaller than the amount of money it would cost them to add several new sizes to the range. So it's not in their economic interests to make a product that's suitable for us.

There are, no doubt, a few custom-made vintage hats in large sizes, but there were never very many of them - so it's quite possible that all of them have been so worn out or damaged over the years that they are not available now. The same thing will have happened to other hat sizes, but because there were so many more of them to begin with, a higher number have survived.

Sucks to be us. :)

(To be half-serious for a moment, there is quite a lot of evidence to suggest that the heads, or at least the brains, of modern humans are actually smaller than those of cavemen. Larger than those of most proto-human species, of course, but smaller than early homo sapiens brains. And smaller than Neanderthal brains too, if I recall correctly.)

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
I got, no less than 6 size 63cm and 64 cm Montecristis up last week...even with decent brims 3 to 4 inches. Of course, my brother in law royally screwed up and they were supposed to be 58 cm hats.

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
Panamabob said:
I got, no less than 6 size 63cm and 64 cm Montecristis up last week...even with decent brims 3 to 4 inches. Of course, my brother in law royally screwed up and they were supposed to be 58 cm hats.

I wonder how he did that? I know the larger hat sizes take longer to weave so that makes them harder to get. I hope some of the Fedora Lounge members can use them so you won't have to send them back. Good luck!

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
I sent the hats back. I paid way too much for what I got. I want what I ordered.

I have a couple of hatters who have ordered unusual sizes and I guess my brother-in-law got confused. No comment on the difficulty of confusing a native of Ecuador.

MJL

One of the Regulars
Panamabob said:
I sent the hats back. I paid way too much for what I got. I want what I ordered.

I have a couple of hatters who have ordered unusual sizes and I guess my brother-in-law got confused. No comment on the difficulty of confusing a native of Ecuador.

Dang! Bob, in retrospect I think we have talked in the past about hats...in May or June. I may yet still place an order with you. I need to save my schekels up. Sadly, all my extra cash seems to get funneled away once I get enough to pick up a decent hat!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn