Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why my interrest in western hats

flylot74

One of the Regulars
The hat was purchased from C. G. DelaGarza in Mission, Texas in Feb, 1971 for a whopping $21.50 (I have the original sales receipt in the box). It has the John B. Stetson Logo on the sweat band and the liner and over both logos is printed Nutria Quality (what ever that means.)

The liner is in great shape as well as the sweat band. However, in stretching the hat out to 7 1/8, the stitching at the back sweatband has separated about 1/16". I've been told that a new sweatband can be replaced easily enough but also told that it "ain't that bad, just wear it!"

The original ribbon is of course beyond repair, and according to the guy that stretched it in Boot Town, wouldn't fit after stretching anyway. My wife has picked out a leather band with a little buckle that she liked (hey, it was her side of the family that originally owned the hat) so I will put that on and retake a pic for you guys. The good thing is that I can always change the hat band and this place has a virtual cornucopia of hat bands from witch to chose. I was told that the "drug store" cowboys here in Houston change hat bands like most change socks. :)

The original owner, my wife's uncle, was a farmer in McCook, Tx. (don't blink when you're driving by) Lived and died there. The only big city he had ever been to was San Antonio once back in the early 80s. This was his "go to church" hat. He wore straws out in the field.

riccardo

Practically Family
Very nice lid,
I like very much western/outback hat.
I think them could be wore in every occasion/every day.
I wear every day my campdraft, it look like an OR, you know, so it is a little western looking.
I like very much it, and I become to like myself in it.:p :p
I'm looking for another hat, western/outback, for every day occasion; I'm a travel salesman, what could you advice me?

Best regards.
Riccardo.

indycop

I'll Lock Up
riccardo said:
Very nice lid,
I wear every day my campdraft, it look like an OR, you know, so it is a little western looking.
I'm looking for another hat, western/outback, for every day occasion; I'm a travel salesman, what could you advice me?

Best regards.
Riccardo.
You have some pictures?:D

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
That is a sweet hat and you look great in it.

It is a Stetson, then; does it say inside what style of Stetson or how many Xes are in it? Not that it matters.

I'd go with a thin ribbon, too, and not anything too dark.

karol

ideaguy

One Too Many
very nice indeed, having the Nutria quality embossed on the sweat. That little
number would cost a pretty penny today-IF you could possibly find the felt
and the hatter...closest I know of is Rich Rand, and he charges a bit; and you won't get those sleek lines, or the softened felt, either. I'd take very good care of that particular hat...and if we all didn't notice-I do believe he's wearing a modern sportscoat of distinctly Non-Western flavor-and the hat blends in like they were made to be together.
Seems like a good sign to me that the hats' a winner.:eusa_clap

indycop

I'll Lock Up
riccardo said:
...any pictures of myself???

Hey, indy, i like very much the car in your avatar, is it your??:D :D :rolleyes:
Best regards.
Pics of your hat!lol As for the car , only in my dreams!!lol :D
Given your location I bet you are more likely to see one than me!

One of the Regulars
riccardo said:
Very nice lid,

Best regards.
Riccardo.

I'd heartily recommend the Akubra Lawson for a western/outback type with moderate dimensions, or maybe a Stetson Revenger.

carter

I'll Lock Up
I posted this on another thread but I'll post it here as well.
I purchases a 7 5/8 Biltmore western hat on OFAS this evening for under $40.00. I have some other Biltmore fedoras but this is my 1st Biltmore western.

It was listed as a XXX Leather Biltmore Western Hat. [huh]

1996075296_84ce00f489.jpg

I'm looking forward to receiving this one quite a lot. Bound edge and a nice ribbon treatment.

flylot74

One of the Regulars
I kept this on the same thread

The Nutria quality Stetson western hat that I inherited and stretched from 7 to 7 1/8 with the leather band my wife picked:

I wore my most western looking jacket I own for this shot.

Now my latest acquisition, a 10X Stetson bashed with a teardrop instead of a cattleman's bash. I had a double braided chord hat band on this one. The brim is cut to 3" :

I'm not sure about brim widths: 2, 2 1/2, 2 3/4, 3". they all have a different look but I can decide which is the "real" me.......

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats