Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why so many Blue vintage 40s suits?

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I can only take a guess: Blue is suitable for business, leisure, town, country...It is also easy to combine as seperates.
Brown and black suits are kinda limited compared to blue (?)

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
To 'add' to "all of the above..."

Blue was traditional for suits when working in towns/cities & having to wear a fairly 'formal' uniform to fit in with the majority.

It was also the traditional choice for Sunday Best (that one suit you only wore for church, funerals and weddings..etc - if you can only afford 'one' suit, best to make it blue, as it fits all occasions).

Brown was seen as 'less formal' and more of a countrywear colour.

Don't forget, the majority of people during the Great Depression Era could only afford to have 'one suit' in many cases. It had to last and fit into most situations.

For 'us' today, who have a multitude of suits (vintage or modern) in the wardrobe, well...we'd be very unusual and lucky individuals back in the 30's and 40's. Just call me 'Mr Vanderbilt!!'

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
I always got the impression that women think men look good in blue. If so, I can think of no better reason for owning a blue suit.

PS. I don't own any blue suits.

Johnny J

Call Me a Cab
Don't get me wrong guys, I like blue very much. I have 3 vintage blue suits: 2 from 40s and 1 from 50s. But everytime I'm on the hunt on the bay, man, thats what you see the most. But thanks for all your thoughts.

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
I agree with PADDY. The Sunday Bests were those most likely to survive because they were worn only on Sundays. The other suits (IF they had more than one suit) were worn to death.

kallupke

New in Town
blue is just inbetween black and brown in ranking from formal to casual, also blue was and is a great color.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner