Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Width of the Brim/lapel

Mr Maltby

One of the Regulars
After reading some info on the brims, it made me curious. Does your brim preference pan out? Do your Lapels on your suit reflect your desire for the wide or narrow look? For example, I wear my brims at 1 1/2 inches. I like my lapels on my suits to be just as narrow, 1-2 inches, I like the balance. What about you guys?

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Call me a dunce, but it's never actually occurred to me before that the width of hat brims narrowed corresponding to the width of suit coat lapels and the narrower cut of suits and trousers through the 1950's. I guess I noticed it on a subconscious level, but the balance never leaped out at me in a conspicuous way.

So yes Mr Maltby, I wear hats with 2.5 inch brims with wider 1940's-style lapels on my suit coats. Thanks for bringing to my attention the fact that I'm correctly balanced! (At least in one area of my life!) lol

The Wingnut

One Too Many
Ideal in my world would be 2/3 between the shoulder and the inside of the lapel. Not overly wide, but not at all narrow.

My green suit is my ideal for a DB, I unfortunately don't have any single-breasted suits that I'm all that happy with.

green_suit.jpg

Gray Ghost

A-List Customer
Real Sharp

The Wingnut said:
Ideal in my world would be 2/3 between the shoulder and the inside of the lapel. Not overly wide, but not at all narrow.

My green suit is my ideal for a DB, I unfortunately don't have any single-breasted suits that I'm all that happy with.

green_suit.jpg

Real sharp Wingnut. That is the look that I want to achieve.

Gray Ghost

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails