Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Will distilled white vinegar harm felt or riibbon?

T Rick

Practically Family
Wanting to go to work on my Mallory's ribbon (sweat stain removal), and the first effort, I still would like to consider attempting to clean it in place (after all, it's been there since new). I suspect the vinegar may be a good approach (not really sure why), and thought I might give it a try (thoroughly wetting the ribbon first with sprayed distilled water), then gently washing with a soft toothbrush and vinegar. Any thoughts or previous experience? Maybe should try a mild soap or shampoo first?

Wanting to go to work on my Mallory's ribbon (sweat stain removal), and the first effort, I still would like to consider attempting to clean it in place (after all, it's been there since new). I suspect the vinegar may be a good approach (not really sure why), and thought I might give it a try (thoroughly wetting the ribbon first with sprayed distilled water), then gently washing with a soft toothbrush and vinegar. Any thoughts or previous experience? Maybe should try a mild soap or shampoo first?

Not sure why you'd need the vinegar. Try Woolite diluted in cold water first. If that didn't work, I'd try lighter fluid or Naptha.

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
While you wait for others to chime in. Try an advanced title search on sweat stains. You will find many threads on this topic. Vinegar (and other options) are discussed at some length.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Since sweat is salt water- water is the best place to start(mild detergent next). The last thing you want to do with a vintage ribbon is friction--don't rub if possible. Soak and blot. The cleaning solvents don't generally work with sweat stains.

T Rick

Practically Family
Thanks again all, I will try the search function and more research first, followed probably by water alone (with blotting) and then on to the Woolite or other mild detergent as needed. As I said in another thread, I'd like to take the same approach I have done with restoring/cleaning vintage razors, where "less is more". Using the least intrusive/abrasive/damaging method first, to see if results are satisfactory, then on to the next logical step until acceptable results are achieved, or I must surrender to the idea of replacing the ribbon (or in a razor's case, refinishing/replating). Thanks again, I'll get some before and after pics and put them up.

barrowjh

One Too Many
Another problem you are likely to have is the tendacy for any liquid to result in a ring at the outer edges of the wet area. If a hat is clean enough that I see no need to actually dump the hot white gasoline (naptha, coleman fuel) into the crown and let it drip through, then I use a blotter type approach - get some gas hot (heat some water, set a jar of white gas in the hot water - don't do both simultaneously!) and then pour it into a dish, then dip a clean rag into the gas and wipe the exterior of the hat (iterative process), getting all of the surface of the felt and ribbon only a little wet, effectively feathering out any dirt 'rings'. You can alter that process to do a more thorough blotting of the stained area on the ribbon first, then use this blotter/wiping process on the remainder of the hat exterior to prevent any 'ring.'

I have used a vinegar /water mix to combat sweat stains in felt - and it works reasonably well. I have NEVER sucessfully cleaned ANY spot out of a ribbon. If you can see that the ribbon is badly stained from the seller's pics - don't buy it!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats