Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Will jeans be going out of fashion?

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
I'm in LA and, well they aren't really going anywhere yet, but I can see a little tiny trend toward denim being second tier to the ones who wore it day in day out.

The right jeans the right jeans the right jeans is turning to pants in general and sometimes skirts. Now for stalwarts jeans will never be out, but I do foresee a time when they won't be the standard. Am I crazy?

number6

Familiar Face
jeans out?

Yep you are crazy. I don't see me in a skirt anytime soon, mind you I have never actually tried one .:eek:

Charlie Noodles

A-List Customer
Jeans will be in fashion for as long as looking like a slob can still be thought of as rebellious.

There's enough potential variation that the fashion gods can keep selling them each season indefinitely.

anon`

One Too Many
I'd certainly hope not: if they fall out of fashion, it might become difficult to find them, and I'll be buggered if I'm going to fell trees or mend fences whilst wearing a suit!

Not that I wouldn't mind seeing a general shift of denim towards, I dunno, informal and work attire...

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
number6 said:
Yep you are crazy. I don't see me in a skirt anytime soon, mind you I have never actually tried one .:eek:

Some guys are soo out of touch with their feminine side.

male.jpg

jgilbert

One of the Regulars
Matt you are in LA come out here to the heart land and you will they are going as stong as ever.

I still love them wearing them with a starched white shit!

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Maybe in the malls and such, I can see a slight a decline in denim availability, but in the vintage and collectors markets, it's still alive and well.

dakotanorth

Practically Family
Jeans going the way of the dinosaur?

I'm really beginning to NOT like jeans- they don't fit well, they are hot in the summer, cold in the winter, and they shrink like crazy when I wash them. By the time I break them in, they need washed again! It might help if I could find non low rise jeans too.
I'll take a pair of trousers any day over jeans.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Things can go out of fashion, or go out of style, maybe they mean the same, maybe they don't.
I would say that "going out of fashion", when you're talking about "fashion/s", would be "fashion" dictating that jeans go out of fashion.

Going out of style could be construed as disappearing from common usage, irrespective of "fashion".

Jeans transcend fashion.
Jeans did not come from fashion- although they created a fashion of denim.
The world of denim is ever-evolving.

It is vaguely conceivable that "fashion jeans"/"designer jeans" could take a dive but denim is one of the few, specific, staple fashion products, with a high and stable demand. I believe that the world of "fashion" generates "fashion jeans" because they know that they need to, due to consumer demand for denim but with the desired, seasonal "fashion" tweaks.

Everyman, everyday jeans are ubiquitous and entrenched- outside of fashion. Work wear, play wear.

Catwalk fashion may say no but the street won't.
Denim, the great leveler.

So, regarding the question-

...going out of fashion...?
Maybe the "fashion" ones.

Going out of style..?
Nope.

B
T

MudInYerEye

Practically Family
It was around long before any of us were born and will be around long after we are gone. Get off of your high-horses and get used to it.

Hal

Practically Family
MK said:
Jeans are at epidemic proportions. There is nowhere to go but down...will be a relief...
Agree a thousand times! They may be suitable for the purpose for which they were invented (as Belly Tank hints in his defence of them) but for nothing else.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner