Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Will vintage return in Pop culter?

CharlieH.

One Too Many
happyfilmluvguy said:
Wearing a suit or a dress, you have to also take care of it.

That reminds me of a small point - Even if vintage looks do make a comeback (intact, that is), people would still be too lazy to wear them, let alone give them maintenance. I think that today's look is not a matter of style, but of just plain idleness (abetted by some bad taste) - hence you get folks wearing bedroom slippers on the street. Heck, people are probably too lazy to even think of looking good regardless of the situation.

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
CharlieH. said:
That reminds me of a small point - Even if vintage looks do make a comeback (intact, that is), people would still be too lazy to wear them, let alone give them maintenance. I think that today's look is not a matter of style, but of just plain idleness (abetted by some bad taste) - hence you get folks wearing bedroom slippers on the street. Heck, people are probably too lazy to even think of looking good regardless of the situation.

I don't think people are necessarily lazy. We all do things that we NEED to do, and things we don't. If you don't NEED to dress a certain way, why do it? No one has been arrested for wearing sweat pants in a nice restaurant and since many only dress for an occasion, it cancels the need for a dress code, though some places still do have one and enforce it. You will not get business if you don't cooperate with the customer's attitudes and needs.

I think it's all on how you want to look. If everyone dressed in "vintage", then there would be a rebellion against it. Since everyone dresses the way they want or need to, we are sort of the rebels against dressing the way the normal person would dress. The entire world isn't wearing torn shirts and sweat pants, you know. ;) It's only what you see in your area that reflects how a person will dress in this day and age.

Like what LadyStarDust pointed out, vintage is not so much a fashion but a state of mind. You thrive on a subject of interest, just as those interested in other cultures thrive on theirs. We are all copying somebody, whether we like it or not. Clothes I am sorry to say reflect a person's personality and if I saw a person dressed the way I dress I would think they had legitimate reason to be dressed such a way, be it they like the style or have the interest in the era or they actually "have" to dress that way on account of their work or position.

For the vintage fashion to be more broader than it already is, that is amongst everyone who follows a trend, you would need to speak to your audience not only in person but on television, movies, radio, newspapers, commercials, music, wrestling, sports, magazines, art and more, and that is a far more difficult task than we realize. I think the vintage culture is there in a person's mind, but it is only getting it out and pinching their bottom with it.

It is also a matter on how a person is raised. If you grew up in that sort of environment, you will continue it throughout your life, or destroy it completely. Many people in the 30's and 40's dressed the way they did because it was a standard, and not a fashion. Fashion was within the standard. Now it is out of the standard. It's all about what you can afford, what you have, what you want, and what's available. Look in any department store and you'll see what I mean. Now sport coats ARE in style, and the fashion is to wear them with jeans. I think that looks better than sweat pants, don't you think?

Ladies are also wearing "jeans" because dresses are now in the category of dressing up for an occasion. That I think can be changed. The "gangster" look and the "dame/doll" look are still a costume or a
you got a lotta dough matter. It's only a matter of time before those things could become more of an everyday look.

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
Legal Concepts said:
I would go as far to say the only way the vintage look will return is if the majority of Americans were Mennonites or Amish.
Or Orthodox jews? :p They wear suits, they wear fedoras, they follow a tradition, hey, for all we know it's a vintage culture.

I think that's a little too far into the past.

Also think about the innocence of marketing of that time. The marketing now is more for this day and age. One follows what other's follow. You get a bunch of people following a 1940's trend and you get sources of media taking claim to the "product" and playing crossing guard. You will also get cheap representation of "vintage". While you have the reproductions, the designer products, and the real thing, you also have the knock offs. If you're the type of person that doesn't want to spend the $$$, you get the knock off, and it can either match the quality of the brandname or be a cheap copy of it.

Fabrics and Material is also an issue. It costs a lot to make something authentic. I doubt the vintage culture will be mainstream but it could definitely bring in a larger crowd if you push it hard enough. It has a large crowd already. Ever see a store with old fashioned looking products? They sure aren't making them for people who listen to heavy metal, I'll tell you that!

CharlieH.

One Too Many
Well, I guess the conclusion one can draw from all this is that, no matter what we do, past trends, notions, attitudes and tastes cannot be brought back for the entire population of the globe to adopt, no matter how hard we shove it down people's throats via television or internet, as is being done with the entire look and feel of this modern world of ours.

However... we can still institute a dress code at our vintage-lookin' home, hah!

Briscoeteque

One of the Regulars
happyfilmluvguy said:
Or Orthodox jews? :p They wear suits, they wear fedoras, they follow a tradition, hey, for all we know it's a vintage culture.

I can't grow a beard, because people mistake me for a Chassid enough as it is. It's sort of strange how many people think I'm going to rabbinical school.

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
:eek:fftopic: The Scene:

A party is being held at CharlieH's household

Laughter and Joy is in full swing, until one very unlucky individual decides to pay the party a visit, and without the proper attire.

(enter CharlieH's cousin)

(doorbell rings)

(CharlieH opens the door)

Highschool bud- "What's up dude! Your sis told me you're having a bad ass party!"

(CharlieH nods)

CharlieH- "Yes, I invited a couple friends over for a little get together"

(High School bud slouches against CharlieH's entryway)

High School bud- "So, you gonna let me in, bro?"

(CharlieH observes his High School bud's intensely ripped jeans, "I'm with this #@$hole" t shirt, and messy hair and backwards hat)

CharlieH- "Um....if you change your clothes a bit"

High School bud (looking at outfit)- "what's wrong with my rags?"

CharlieH- "well they are rags"

High School bud -"well your clothes aint' so hot either! Don't tell me you aren't going to let me in on account of my rags, dude!"

CharlieH- "sorry, kind of a dress code"

High School bud- "but we're buds, man! , I've known you since you was 10 inches tall!

(Exit Scene)
---------------------------------------------------------------

This is only a dramatisation so I am not trying to insult you, but it would be kind of interesting to have a dress code. :)

I'm sorry to say I don't have the heart to shadow my friends because of their clothes! I say let them where what they want as long as it's fit for the occasion and they respect it.

Back on topic, The Fedora Lounge is a sort of inspiration for people who happen to find it. Who knows, places like this could spark a big explosion of vintage crowds. Dressing nicely is as easy and cheap as it is to wear a t shirt and jeans.

Let the world start dressing more dress/casual like and then we plan our World Domination of Bullet Bras, Dames, Suits and Fedoras!

CharlieH.

One Too Many
Hey! you forgot the scene where he gets really mad and I casually shoot him and say "Sorry chap! Ye know the rules. Now, will somebody join me in a chorus of Goody Goody...."
Then the mariachi band comes in through the mail slot.

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
CharlieH. said:
Hey! you forgot the scene where he gets really mad and I casually shoot him and say "Sorry chap! Ye know the rules. Now, will somebody join me in a chorus of Goody Goody...."
Then the mariachi band comes in through the mail slot.

"Achoo!"

Allergic reaction to the mariachi band...:p

I wish someone would send me a mariachi band in the mail!

Anyways, does anyone else have any comment to add? We need more input!

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
lol Is there a box big enough for a mariachi band?

The above scene is fun, but in my humble opinion the gun needs to be preceeded by a dramatic heave-ho from the premisis by the host and guests who are appalled by the lack of elegant attire.:rolleyes: :p

CharlieH.

One Too Many
Aaah yes, the ole "Icy-cocked-brow-fallen-monocle-dropped-glass-spilled-scotch-stare" that is inevitably preceded by the familiar record scratching noise.

I've always wanted to have one of those - especially if brought about by the most piffling of reasons.

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
They're just the greatest, my sister's very horrifying ex had a moment like that, we just stared in shock at his antics at a restaurant one night.:eusa_doh:

But he hated vintage, I think there's a connection here;)

lindylady

A-List Customer
happyfilmluvguy said:
Ladies are also wearing "jeans" because dresses are now in the category of dressing up for an occasion. That I think can be changed. The "gangster" look and the "dame/doll" look are still a costume or a
you got a lotta dough matter. It's only a matter of time before those things could become more of an everyday look.

Let's hope so :) Vintage has returned to fashion somewhat, but as usual, the designers of this era have put a "twist" on it. Ex., wide leg trousers that are also low rise, full skirts that would be lovely if they actually went past mid-thigh, shoes that are vintage-looking in front, but have a wicked 4-inch spiked heel in the back, etc. :rolleyes: Maybe we should also wish for a return of practicality in fashion as well.

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
I'm a total devotee to spike heels, I'm tiny without them, and they make me feel like struting, which is sometimes hard when you're big sis is the epitome of modern day desirability, I sometimes feel like I'm in her shadow still. But I can have GREAT shoes!:D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran