Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

William Lennon spec boots

winterland1

Practically Family
Thanks for the links. I sent them an email seeing what they could do for me. The only thing that might raise the price too high is if they didn't fit and the extra shipping that would entail to USA.

I didn't realize others had already done the option of 2 piece rubber sole and Simonc had his own soles put on that look better than the ones WL use. In this thread Page 1 WL soles and Page 5 Simons. I need to pay attention more.
I am checking to see if they will use the same sole Simonc used for a pair for me. Actually I want his same specs.

I am curious how the fit is on these boots? Do they run big?
I usually wear a 9 1/2 in normal boots/shoes but 9 in Red Wing Heritage and 8 1/2 Wolverine 1000 Mile when I tried them on.

simonc

Practically Family
Thanks winterland. Yes they do run a bit big, remember that US and UK sizes differ by one size, I would say safely a 9 will be plenty, they are wide fitting too. I am currently road testing inners as WL provide a very basic leather plate. I did get a Sole inner but too thick, I am now toying with very thin hard moulded inners to give the boot a fitted sports fit. The leather lined boot and tongue provides the softness now a moulded inner is providing wonderful support and snug fit. More anon.

wdw

One Too Many
​Thought I'd share my new Burgundy (full grain) Derbys. I haven't actually seen them yet as I'm working away, but my wife sent these pics and says they're a great match for my cordovan jacket, better than the pics show.

Sounds like a result and I look forward to breaking them in. My black ones are really comfy, so I'm not too worried about initial stiffness.
IMG-20131007-WA0001_zpsc2496e4a.jpg IMG-20131007-WA0003_zpsdc22d6b3.jpg

Last edited:

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
What is your guy's average turn around time on these from order to delivery? My wife bought me a pair of the hobnails boots back in June and I'm still waiting. Needless to say I've not gotten helpful responses to emails or calls either...

wdw

One Too Many
Both my Derby's have been 7 weeks. I've found them to be pretty good at answering emails, usually within 24 hours, but occasionally longer.

oxfordgrant

New in Town
What is your guy's average turn around time on these from order to delivery? My wife bought me a pair of the hobnails boots back in June and I'm still waiting. Needless to say I've not gotten helpful responses to emails or calls either...
I've got three pairs of Lennons bought over the last year or so- the first pair took a couple of weeks , the next arrived after a month, and my recent order arrived after three and a half months. I think this extending timescale is a function of the fact that they have become very popular recently, and basically they are reliant on a small skilled workforce that you can't quickly expand to cope with blips in demand- especially now with people ordering for the winter. I've been happy with their responses(admittedly slow on occasion) and very,very happy with the boots. I'm just about to order another pair,so i guess I'm just about to make things worse:)

Edward

Bartender
​Thought I'd share my new Burgundy (full grain) Derbys. I haven't actually seen them yet as I'm working away, but my wife sent these pics and says they're a great match for my cordovan jacket, better than the pics show.

Sounds like a result and I look forward to breaking them in. My black ones are really comfy, so I'm not too worried about initial stiffness.
View attachment 4991 View attachment 4992

These are gorgeous! I think I'll be getting on to them in the New Year...

wdw

One Too Many
Thanks guys. Strangely, the sample they sent seemed browner, but these look better than I expected. What's not coming across in the pics is the graininess of the hide. It's very noticeable close up and completely different to my normal smooth grain shoes and boots.

I'll probably post better pics at the end of next week when I'm back and they've been worn for a week.

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
I've got three pairs of Lennons bought over the last year or so- the first pair took a couple of weeks , the next arrived after a month, and my recent order arrived after three and a half months. I think this extending timescale is a function of the fact that they have become very popular recently, and basically they are reliant on a small skilled workforce that you can't quickly expand to cope with blips in demand- especially now with people ordering for the winter. I've been happy with their responses(admittedly slow on occasion) and very,very happy with the boots. I'm just about to order another pair,so i guess I'm just about to make things worse:)

I just got an email today that they are ready for shipping! So thats great news. I'll post photos when they come in.

galopede

One of the Regulars
Well I've just put in an order for a pair of their traditional work boots, 78TC. I'm in the UK and I'll report back when I get them. We'll see how long they are taking now. They will go well with my Lennon Ammo boots I won brand new on the bay last year.

It is always a problem with small, traditional companies like Lennon when their product suddenly gets popular. The same has happened with our Lake District pipe tobacco companies, Sam Gawith and Gawith & Hoggarth. Their very traditional baccies became very popular in the States leading to many shortages as they couldn't make it fast enough!

The last thing we want is for them to expand and start using "Modern" methods!

If anyone is into cheese, one of my local cheesemakers had this very same problem. He makes the "Stinking Bishop" cheese which suddenly got very popular when the Wallace & Gromit film Curse of the Wererabbit came out a few years ago! Many people told him he must expand so he could make more but he resisted, saying if he did expand his dairy, he'd have to employ someone else and there was no room for another parking space!

Gareth

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab

Good news the boots came in yesterday and they look and feel great. When I have some time I take some photos.

wdw

One Too Many
Here's some more pics of the burgundy Derbys after a week's wear. The flash makes them look brighter than they actually are, as they're darker and much closer to the dark cordovan of the jacket.

I also show a comparison with the smooth CXL black version. I must admit that I prefer the grainier hide, but both boots are solid with a capital S.

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
WDW those are nice, I like the texture as well.

My Derby hobnails came in the other day. I am slowly, slowly putting together a traditional Scottish hill stalking kit together and these will be the footwear!

407828390.jpg

407828371.jpg

407828372.jpg

407828370.jpg

jimmer_5

Practically Family
Here's some more pics of the burgundy Derbys after a week's wear. The flash makes them look brighter than they actually are, as they're darker and much closer to the dark cordovan of the jacket.

I also show a comparison with the smooth CXL black version. I must admit that I prefer the grainier hide, but both boots are solid with a capital S.

Those both look fantastic! Is the black Chromexcel a standard option? Do you mind sharing how much it added to the cost?

winterland1

Practically Family
WDW those are nice, I like the texture as well.

My Derby hobnails came in the other day. I am slowly, slowly putting together a traditional Scottish hill stalking kit together and these will be the footwear!
407828371.jpg

What the heck are on the sole? I am not familiar with Hobnails. Sounds like something in Harry Potter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran