Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Window display @ Int'l Center of Photography in NYC

Bassman

A-List Customer
A new window display at the International Center of Photography (NW corner of 6th and 43rd) is a HUGE photo of spectators at a racetrack dated 1955.
Every man and woman are wearing hats (of course) and the fashions (overcoats, vests, ties, etc) are beautiful!
I first thought it might be a staged recent photo because some great poses and facial expressions were captured but I spoted the location and date of the photo in the lower left.
I believe the installation is called "Dress Codes".
Check out the window if you can.

Dan D

Familiar Face
And then they invented cameras...

Any chance someone could take a photo of this impressive-sounding display for those poor mortals such as myself who can't get over there ?

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Stan Douglas
1.-Tri-3-Douglas_Triennial_01.jpg

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
No problem. :)

There is a decent size on the site. Here's how I got there.
icp.org
museum
current exhibitions
dress codes
clicked on the different names until I found the photo you described
found a bigger version using google images

from the icp:

STAN DOUGLAS
Born Vancouver, Canada, 1960
Lives and works in Vancouver

Most of the works in Stan Douglas's recent series Humor, Irony, and the Law re-create historic moments of public unrest involving workers and law enforcement in Douglas’s native Vancouver: a 1912 free speech demonstration, a labor strike in 1935, the aftermath of a drug protest in 1971. Hastings Park, a crowd scene set at a 1950s racetrack, is more ambiguous. The period costumes contain subtle indicators of the kinds of attire specific to the working class in mid-1950s Vancouver. These indicators, while difficult to discern today, were highly legible in the postwar period, when increased purchasing power and ready-to-wear garments reinforced rather than loosened the dress codes that distinguished different social classes. Meticulously rendered, using a tonal palette that recalls the color film technology of the time, this photograph of spectators chatting in the stands is seamlessly composed from thirty separate shots. Caught unawares between takes, the models casually talk, smoke, read, or stare off into space, conjuring up an air of offhanded naturalness.

Stan Douglas
Hastings Park, 16 July 1955, 2008
© Stan Douglas
Courtesy the artist and David Zwirner Gallery, New York

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I thought so. One mistake younger people tend to make when attempting 50's clothes, especially the women, is to make themselves just a little frumpier than they really would have been at the time. The women in this picture are all wearing clothes that an older woman would have worn. I'd say this applies particulary to the three frontmost women in the picture. It's a tricky thing figuring out just how to wear those little Mamie Eisenhower hats properly.
In general it looks like the clothes are wearing the people rather than the other way around. Still, a pretty cool picture, and about as good an attempt as it would be possible to make to recreate that period.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy