Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Window Pane

Shanghailander

One of the Regulars
I'm picking out fabric for a made to measure suit. My closet is filled with dark blue pinstripes, middle greys, charcoal greys, and one white linen suit. I thought I would go for something different - more brown, and a windowpane.

After a few hours looking around the Fedora Lounge, though, I have seen only a few examples.

Can anyone turn up some photos of vintage suits in the window pane pattern?

I'm considering these two fabrics.

DSCF2247.JPG DSCF2248.JPG

Two button SB two piece suit, pleats and cuffs on pants, ventless jacket

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
Can anyone turn up some photos of vintage suits in the window pane pattern?

sorry to get pedantic, but those fabrics are glenchecks (or glenplaids, or Prince of Wales checks) rather than windowpane.
a window pane is a much bolder check which stands out against a plainer ground. usually for sports jackets rather than full suits:

windowpanesportsjkt.jpg

manwithbike.jpg

or sports suits:

ScreenShot2012-08-24at212546.png

Eng_check_780-1.png

Last edited:
What, other than a windowpane check, is displayed in chestnut colours here? The large, rectangular, reddish chestnut brown overcheck is a windowpane check, independent of the background.[huh]
Though called something else (to name the combination), this fabric is a combination of two very traditional checks, one of them indisputably a windowpane.

2_882_e.jpg

Last edited:

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
Baron, the fact that it has a windowpane in it doesn't make it a 'windowpane'. it's still called a Glencheck, or POW check. that's what you would ask for at the counter.

i'll give you one pedantic point for the fact that there is a windowpane in there somewhere.

I agree. One would never describe a glencheck as a windowpane, but it does often (though not exclusively) contain a windowpane check. Were I to ask for a windowpane swatch book, I would expect a book of solid grounds with contrasting rectangular overchecks.

But, to digress a little, were I presented, as a naif, with a plain black and white glenurquhart but I wanted a bit of colour, I would suggest to the tailor maybe something with a coloured overcheck (windowpane).

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
according to Flusser's glossary, an 'overplaid' (which we can assume is the same as 'overcheck') is a 'block figure pattern superimposed upon a smaller plaid or other type of design'.
i stand my pedantic ground that a windowpane is over a plain background, like the ones in my first post.

anyway, i'm sure the opening post of this thread means 'glencheck'.

edit.. actually his first swatch is more of a shadow plaid. i didn't look closely enough. still not a windowpane. :p

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
yes, and 'windowpane' would actually be an invisible design.

terminology aside, i'd love to get some of that Fox LL windowpane and do a belted back number similar to this:

brownwindowpane1_zpsd1b95fc2.jpg

brownwindowpane2_zps81831ed9.jpg

if only i could justify £240 for two metres of fabric. [huh]

Last edited:

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
if only i could justify £240 for two metres of fabric. [huh]

I've learned to pay up for the cloth I really want rather than settling for a less costly option. I've had too much stuff go underused because I didn't really love it and that's to me that's the definition of expensive.

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
A.C. apart from some Ardalanish tweed, i've only used vintage 30s-40s suiting, so i've been spoilt by the quality and the price. don't worry, there's no way i'd buy something cheap and modern.
this LL Fox cloth is really the only modern cloth i've seen that has same quality as vintage. i'm just annoyed that it's got this 'luxury' price tag.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
no, i heard that it's not open to the public and you have to be 'accompanied by a tailor'.

I think that's something somebody put out so the place doesn't get stampeded by iGents. I've got in without a tailor and know several others who have as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran