Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wing collars: Yea or Nay?

Hello!

I am currently going through an edwardian phase (I know, I know, a century too late:rolleyes: ).

So, down to business. Wing collars. Once the domain of formal business dress it now appears to only show up in black tie.

What I ask is, why? Why has this style been restricted to only formal occasion wear?

Would it look incredibly absurd (I don't mind looking absurd, I don't think I could look any more absurd than I already do) to wear a shirt with a wing collar with a 3-piece in this day and age? With a bow tie or perhaps a cravat? (or would I "get beat up and mugged" as our American fellows would put it?)

I would wager that most people do not know what a winged collar is, let alone have seen one in the first place so the opinion of the mob concerns me not (What would those antipodean masses know of fashion or style anyway? They reside in the furthest corner of the Empire and they think they know everything! Bah! Humbug! lol ).

What I am concerned with is the aesthetic. Does it look good? Too costumey perhaps? (don't worry about that too much. I do wear a bowler hat after all, so I doubt this could make it much worse :p )

So, your verdict: Yea? Or Nay?

Or, if you are so vehemently opposed, a short, sharp "Nein!" will do :p

Tally Ho!

Spatterdash

A-List Customer
I think you can get away with it if your business or office is not too conservative. If it is, a club collar may be the most edwardian you can get.

I know that wing collars were worn with all neckwear, be it cravats & bowties or ties in four-in-hand knots with stickpins. It isn't too eccentric, and with a high-cut vest and a watchchain it should be invocative of the era you're honoring.
If you find most people consider it a tux shirt, consider the sorts of standing collars you can get at places like riverjunction.com

For that matter, riverjunction.com should have a place in every dandy's bookmarks.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
One thing about formal wings is that they usually form a horizontal line or very shallow angle at the bottom edges.
detachablecollar.jpg

Wings for day wear used to angle down more acutely at the bottom edges.
This looked better with the four-in-hand because it framed the knot nicely.
collar-9.jpg

(Modern attached wings do this sometimes, as here.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran