Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Women's fashion quality- Pre Vs Post WWII

Was the decline in women's clothing related to WWII

• Yes, decline in clothing quality was a direct result of WWII

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, the decline in quality had nothing to do with WWII

• No, women's clothing quality has never declined.

• Yes, there was a decline in quality, but it took place at a different time and for different reasons

• Total voters

magneto

Practically Family
I just finished reading "Fashion is Spinach", Elizabeth Hawes' 1941(?) book about trying to singlehandedly create an American fashion design industry in the late 20s and 30s. (I think I was hipped to this book on these boards actually). It is surprising to read how she absolutely *savages* women's mass-produced/department store clothes of the 30s as being rubbish (the book has gone back to the library but I vividly remember the line, "material you could shoot peas through").
I think the only way to properly answer this question is buy more vintage clothes from a wider spectrum of eras and mount a serious in-depth study of any possibly quality variations. Yep yep. :)

Crookshanks

New in Town
Yes, I'd say it definitely was a direct result of the war. When such a thing happens people are sort of reborn again I believe. After the war the majority must have wanted everything to be different so to forget the past and move on forward and as a result of that everything from fashion, music, politics, eating habits and relationships changed. Yet I don't think the fashion quality was a decline, it just took a new turn as fashion always does.

I do prefer the fashion and the fabrics of the golden era, in particular to the fabric materials in the 50's- 70's, but those fragile silk underwear, blouses and the custom-made clothing weren't suited for the post war society and the "modern thinking" people. Since it just couldn't go on like it used to it simply can't be a decline. A decline would have been to keep the fabrics and the clothing and still continue developing peoples way of living and society. Best to stop when things are at their best. :)

/Crookshanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner