Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wool driver's cap is too large

driven_247

New in Town
Hi all,

I just bought a wool driver's cap online and it's a skosh too big. I'm considering getting it wet (except the bill) and throwing it in the dryer to see if it shrinks a little.

Anyone have any insight into this being a good idea or not? Should I mist it or drench it?

FWIW, it's not one of the more flat and round driver's caps with the snaps on the bill, it's one of the smaller format that stays closer to the shape of the head, except the bill of course.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Shawn

driven_247

New in Town
Thanks for the reply. For some reason I was thinking heat was required to make wool shrink... or will the heat from my bald head do it? :)

Woodfluter

Practically Family
I'd go with the collective wisdom of those replying before. If that doesn't work, I'd suggest wetting the headband part alone with steam from a teakettle or a spray bottle, then going at it with a hair drier. Personally, I've found that this works wonders, but if it really is just a wee bit too large, the earlier suggestions might be more in line with what you need to do.

Anecdote:
Along these lines, I received a wool Filson Mackinaw Cruiser jacket that fit fine except for the sleeves being a tad too long. I wet down the sleeves only, and placed it in a clothes dryer until it was toasty. It now fits perfectly.

- Bill

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Woodfluter said:
I wet down the sleeves only, and placed it in a clothes dryer until it was toasty. It now fits perfectly.
You left out the last step in the process. ;)

crossed-fingers.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy