Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wool

CharlieH.

One Too Many
Well folks, I have a small confession to make. In my entire life I must have worn (100%) wool trousers probably no more than 9 times on account of the terrible itch.

Now, I intend to get a suit made (not sure when, though) and I have to ask - is wool (or any fabric that involves it) always so itchy or have I just been exposed to lousy fabric examples?

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Option B.

Most suit fabrics used today would be quite soft and shouldn't produce an itchiness. You can also specify that the trousers be lined to the knee.

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
you've obviously got very sensitive skin. i can wear quite rough tweed trousers and it doesn't bother me. some people can't wear a soft woollen jumper (sweater) next to their skin because it drives them crazy.
Scotrace is right...you can get them lined.

CharlieH.

One Too Many
It's definitely not an allergy- I've worn sweaters and wool jackes without a problem (with two shirts underneath, that is). I guess I'll have the trousers lined then... so, what fabric should I use?
(I know that if I leave it to the tailor, he'll no doubt use... you know!)

Tomasso said:
Does cashmere bug you?

I've never worn cashmere... as far as I know. When it comes to fabrics I'm in almost complete darkness - the result of years of letting my parents interfere with the sacred wardrobe.

Itchy wool syndrome!

I have pretty sensative skin and in the winter, particularly when the humidity is low, wool pants and wool shirts will be like wearing fiberglass mixed with scrubby pads, it tears me up, on my thighs especially.

Lining to the knees makes a big difference for me.

As an aside my favorite hiking socks are wool and they don't bother me at all.

adamgottschalk

A-List Customer
I have a 90s worsted wool suit from mytailor.com. Completely and totally non-itchy. It's sort of amazing it's wool actually. The 100s and 120s worsted wool are only finer. All the benefits of wool with all the comfort of cotton; my jacket is a half-lined summer jacket. I don't think I'd want or use a different fabric.

moustache

Practically Family
Same here

herringbonekid said:
you've obviously got very sensitive skin. i can wear quite rough tweed trousers and it doesn't bother me. some people can't wear a soft woollen jumper (sweater) next to their skin because it drives them crazy.
Scotrace is right...you can get them lined.

I have quite a few Harris Tweed products and have liners on all.Wool can be produced so sift now with modern machines that you shouyldn't have a problem unless you want that heavy Scottish tweed.
Then,thats the price one pays lol

I wouldn't part with Harris tweed.The sportcoats are an essential part of my wardrobe.

JD

Tourbillion

Practically Family
Strawberry said:
But silk wouldn't be as warm, would it?

Silk is considered a warm fabric. The only reason it wouldn't be warm is if it is very thin. Tropical weight wools aren't warm either.

Lining is the best thing for itchiness, but I've found that highly twisted wools don't itch as much, such as gabardine, while wools like flannel tend to scratch.

Cheap cashmere is just as itchy as wool unfortunately.

p.s. I have no idea what Matt is talking about.

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
No offense meant, but you need to try some nicer quality wool trousers. Wool is not inherently itchy. Also, as suggested, many nicer wool trousers are lined to the knee, but by no means all. Many top makers such as Oxxford and Hickey Freeman do not line (all of) their trousers.

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
Tourbillion said:
Silk is considered a warm fabric. The only reason it wouldn't be warm is if it is very thin. Tropical weight wools aren't warm either.

Lining is the best thing for itchiness, but I've found that highly twisted wools don't itch as much, such as gabardine, while wools like flannel tend to scratch.

Cheap cashmere is just as itchy as wool unfortunately.

p.s. I have no idea what Matt is talking about.

Matt is saying that the textile industry keeps trying to make fabrics like cotton and wool, which are not inherently silk, silk-like in their sheen and handle. Super 250 wool, with the really tightly knit wool yarn, will be as lightweight and smooth as silk. Uber-high threadcount cotton attempts to out-sheen silk. What's the point? Just make it out of silk! It's cheaper and it'll give you the effect you want (smooth and shiny).

And silk is indeed used for its insulating properties- here in Asia, where silk is cheap as dirt, the silk sheets that the silk worms leaves behind during the silk-production process are used in bed-comforters instead of down or cotton.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran