Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Woolworth's menu, circa 1958

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
High five on Johnny Rockets!
I love the Streamliner veggie burger, vanilla coke, and the signing service. :)

Viper Man

Banned
dhermann1 said:
Whatever became of chocolate malts???

What do you mean? I just had one last week. Of course I had to make it myself with the help of one of these... :D

149_5000060012.JPG

arthur

Suspended
Kt Templar said:
Ah, but I'd be willing to bet there'd be lard in that pie crust!
Yeah lard!god I am so sick of all this phony food.Give me a pork chop green beans and some mashed potatoes.And hold the veganaze or whatever.

Kt Templar

One of the Regulars
arthur said:
Yeah lard!god I am so sick of all this phony food.Give me a pork chop green beans and some mashed potatoes.And hold the veganaze or whatever.

I agree on the real food.

It does remind me of a lovely girl I used to work with, a vegetarian, she used to love the apple pie from the local delicatessen. I never had the heart to tell her that the crust had lard in it. I could taste it, I couldn't imagine she couldn't.

Lola Getz

One of the Regulars
Anything "stacked high on plain bread" sounds okay in my book. :p
Personally, I love a menu printed on one page so that I know what to order in 20 seconds, increasing the chances I'll be fed sooner!
Bring on the pie!

Vladimir Berkov

One Too Many
I'll take the de-luxe ham sandwich on white, plenty of mustard with a cup of black coffee (and keep it coming please).

Now, the ham-salad sandwich? That sounds disgusting.

Flivver

Practically Family
If you look at the lower right hand corner of the menu, there's a form number including a "Rev" number indicating the date of the menu. On the poor resolution of my laptop it looks like 9-60 indicating the menu was from September 1960. So 1958 was a pretty close guess!

My parents used to take me to our local Woolworth's lunch counter when I was a kid. Somehow, everything there tasted better than it did at home. I used to anger my Mom by asking "Why can't you make it taste like the one at Woolworth's?" And my Mom was a really good cook!

arthur

Suspended
Used to go to the woolworths lunch counter quite often as a child,I would always have a grilled cheese sandwich and lemonade.I remember they had paper straws and I hated how they would collapse.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
More Coke

I guess this is slightly OT, but regarding Coke sizes, I suspect that in the old days Coke was served straight, without ice, or with much less than we use today. If it was as fizzy as it is now, you can't gulp down a big amount of it all at once or your head will explode with fizz. So I think they must have SIPPED their Coke. A 6 1/2 ounce glass or bottle would have lasted longer that way. Now that everything is loaded with ice (this equates to much greater energy use in the form of electricity to freeze the ice), the bubbles dissipate more quickly, enabling people to down gallons of the stuff in one swallow.
This is just another illustration of how we poison ourselves with tons of sugar in a way that our ancestors could never imagine.

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
Miss Neecerie said:
Yea...my family is kosher...and we use crisco in pie crusts...not even the buttery kind (thats so -new-!)....and it works wonderfully.

I've found that a mixture of half lard and half butter (and the substitution of at least one tablespoon of vinegar for an equal amount of water) makes the flakiest, most tasty, and tenderest pie crust.

Prairie Dog

A-List Customer
vitanola said:
I've found that a mixture of half lard and half butter (and the substitution of at least one tablespoon of vinegar for an equal amount of water) makes the flakiest, most tasty, and tenderest pie crust.
Vinegar, that's interesting. Our family recipe calls for 1/8 cup of orange juice.
A butter and lard combo, Vitanola? I wouldn't say yours is a heart-friendly recipe.

Lulu-in-Ny

A-List Customer
My best friend and I must have been at the Woolworth's counter 5 times a week when we were little. Looking back, I'm sure that we drove the waitresses crazy, but they never complained. Ours was open right up through the early 90's, and we were broken-hearted when it closed. I always used to eat this flat corn-muffin thing that they had with a patty-melt. I miss it.
Anybody remember J.J. Newberry's? Much the same thing, and where my grandmother always took me for lunch downtown. Alas, long gone as well...

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Not to mention Schrafft's and Chock-ful-o-Nuts. The creme cheese on brown bread sandwiches were their trademark and went so well with the coffee. And Schrafft's was to me like a high class 5 and 10 lunch counter. Very nice. Sigh.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24