Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Work and a family

Feraud

Bartender
elsewhere said:
I fear I'm rambling... sorry... this headache refuses to leave me today. I hope I've at least made SOME point!
Yes, you have made very significant points. We probably agree with more than we disagree!

Feraud

Bartender
Angelicious said:
I agree that's a problem with the parents, not just the school. I know a lot of people who are teachers who have real issues with parents expecting schools to raise kids.
That is so true. I see it in my son's school. He attends a private Catholic school whose tuition is draining us! ;) You would think people who pay enough money for tuition and other costs would be really concerned with their child's education. I know children who consistently score 40's and 50's on tests...
I wonder what the parents do or say when they see it?
One of my son's friends was left back this year. He did horribly on all tests. I sat in amazement all year as his parents walk around unconcerned about it!
My son would not see the light of day if he failed more than one test! [bad]

LaMedicine

One Too Many
Angelicious said:
I agree that's a problem with the parents, not just the school. I know a lot of people who are teachers who have real issues with parents expecting schools to raise kids.

Well, it sounds like this is a problem that's universal...I have friends who are school teachers, and will absolutely explode when the subject of parent behavior comes up.

At the private school that one of my girls attended, the teachers gave out the grades to the students only orally. The students memo'd them, then were supposed to give the report orally to their parents. A parent-teacher meet was then set up, and when we met our kid's homeroom teacher, the first thing we were asked was, "Have you and your daughter talked about her grades? " followed by "What do you think of her accomplishments?" The school was adamant about parents being responsible for taking interest in their girls' (this was an all girls school) academic achievements as well as extra-curricular activities, and teaching them the manners that should be taught at home; school was about was education, and helping them attain social skills that cannot be taught at home, but please, what should be taught in the home, we expect them to have been taught at home without our having to say so.

Days were when being able to receive a good education was a privilege, so every one concerned, teachers, students, parents, took the learning process seriously. Now that going to school is obligatory for everyone, there are people who think that they should be spoon fed all the learning there is, instead of exercising your brains, which is what learning is about.

If parents pay zillions for a child's education, and not give a hoot how he's doing, and not willing to give a hand to the kid, boy, that's :rage:

Michaelson

One Too Many
Short and sweet....I've been at this for 30 years as well...my wife and I raised two daughters to adulthood, and they're both out on their own, one married and running a business with her husband, the other getting married next month and finishing up two degrees herself through the University of Tennessee. My wife is a degreed engineer, but she decided 3 months after our first was born that there was NO way she was going to allow a stranger to 'raise' our children, and after discussion, we decided it best for our daughter that my wife stay at home. Needless to say, things have been tight financially, and when the girls were both in school, my wife worked as a teacher and aid in the school system the kids were in so she could bring in some income, and yet be off when the girls were out on vacation. There was, and never WILL be a 'bread winner/home maker' separation of duties. I was just the one that left the house and brought home the money. I changed diapers, cleaned up messes, washed dishes and clothes, etc. like she did/does, as we have always looked on the FAMILY as our job, and you do what ever duties are required. Whomever is the best qualified for a situation is the one who picks up the reins at any given moment. We still do that to this day.

Once the kids were up and grown, she has returned to the work force, though we're BOTH looking toward to a time where we'll be working for ourselves rather than someone else. Our daughters have turned out fine, and call home almost everyday, even though one lives in Houston, TX now...so was it a right call? Well, it worked for us...

Regards! Michaelson

Angelicious said:
In fact, sex education aimed at teens is a bit of a waste sometimes. Those who would be willing to listen probably already know, and act accordingly. Those who refuse to listen & think themselves 12 foot tall and bullet-proof wouldn't take any of the information in anyway...

This was my point of my whole message. It is a waste of time. I agree.

Regards to all,

J

elsewhere

Familiar Face
jamespowers said:
This was my point of my whole message. It is a waste of time. I agree.

Regards to all,

J

In a perfect world, parents would teach their kids about the responsibilities of sex. But they don't. Even the best parents are loathe to discuss it.
And even if some parents DO discuss it, they generally don't have all the facts, themselves because they were never taught all the facts.
*sigh* I don't know what the answer is. We have such a confused Victorian/hedonistic view of sex in this country. Everything is about sex, but we can't seem to talk about it.

I just fail to understand how some parents would prefer no education on the matter.

So... on many points we agree.. and on the others we can respectfully disagree. ;)

elsewhere said:
I just fail to understand how some parents would prefer no education on the matter.

I suppose those would be the parents that prefer to educate their children as they see fit with a moral and value based view of sex. Makes sense to me. I say let them do it and let them opt out of the school classes.

elsewhere said:
So... on many points we agree.. and on the others we can respectfully disagree. ;)

Sounds good to me. Now I am getting a headache. :p

Regards to all,

J

LaMedicine

One Too Many
elsewhere said:
In a perfect world, parents would teach their kids about the responsibilities of sex. But they don't. Even the best parents are loathe to discuss it.
And even if some parents DO discuss it, they generally don't have all the facts, themselves because they were never taught all the facts.
*sigh* I don't know what the answer is. We have such a confused Victorian/hedonistic view of sex in this country. Everything is about sex, but we can't seem to talk about it.

Speaking from the medical point of view, I would like at least for girls to have a place where they can be taught straigtforwardly and factually about their body and the functions in terms of reproduction and the reproductive cycle. After all, we females have a very physical indication of where our body stands in terms of reproductivity e.g. when you're primed, when you've "wasted" a cycle. Even as to the start of when you're ready to physically become a mom, though sometimes it's not really clear cut, and when you're let off. What comes with it all. I see too many women who neglect their overall health because of lack of this knowledge, and this is very sad.
Pregnancy obviously is a very impacting physical state for women, so every girl should be taught at some point how things are. How to merge into this the morality and responsibility of the relationships that can lead to pregnancies is a delicate process to say the least, and most likely, one method will work for some, while others will need a different approach, so as with all aspects of child-rearing, there is no common equation to satisfy all needs at once.

Here again, the most important, and probably the only common factor is the love and support parents need to give to their children.

elsewhere

Familiar Face
LaMedicine said:
Speaking from the medical point of view, I would like at least for girls to have a place where they can be taught straigtforwardly and factually about their body and the functions in terms of reproduction and the reproductive cycle. After all, we females have a very physical indication of where our body stands in terms of reproductivity e.g. when you're primed, when you've "wasted" a cycle. Even as to the start of when you're ready to physically become a mom, though sometimes it's not really clear cut, and when you're let off. What comes with it all. I see too many women who neglect their overall health because of lack of this knowledge, and this is very sad.
Pregnancy obviously is a very impacting physical state for women, so every girl should be taught at some point how things are. How to merge into this the morality and responsibility of the relationships that can lead to pregnancies is a delicate process to say the least, and most likely, one method will work for some, while others will need a different approach, so as with all aspects of child-rearing, there is no common equation to satisfy all needs at once.

Here again, the most important, and probably the only common factor is the love and support parents need to give to their children.

I agree, totally. The fact that most young girls (and indeed, women in general) are completely ignorant about the basic functioning of their bodies greatly disturbs me.

jamespowers said:
I suppose those would be the parents that prefer to educate their children as they see fit with a moral and value based view of sex. Makes sense to me. I say let them do it and let them opt out of the school classes.

IF those parents would actually fully educate their children beyond "just don't do it"... that'd be great. However, a great many of them leave that education to television and their peers. Most of the more religiously raised kids I knew growing up were generally the most promiscuous- although I doubt their parents knew it. Wish I could say it wasn't true.. but it was markedly so, at least in my experience.

Ahh well. It's just one of those things. My personal belief on the matter is that you can't give a child a pack of matches & not talk to them about what they are, what they do, the dangers they pose, and how to safely handle them.
Anyway... cheers! :cheers1:

IF those parents would actually fully educate their children beyond "just don't do it"... that'd be great. However, a great many of them leave that education to television and their peers. Most of the more religiously raised kids I knew growing up were generally the most promiscuous- although I doubt their parents knew it. Wish I could say it wasn't true.. but it was markedly so, at least in my experience. [/QUOTE]

The problem I see with this is that we are not the Brave New World. Telling parents how to raise their children and then using the power of government to enforce it is just not the way. I trust the parents more than I do the government to do the right thing. I find that telling a parent how to raise a child is a bit too distasteful for me. When there is obvious abuse and such that is a different thing. Telling parents exactly what to do, especially regarding sex education, just bothers me. They have been doing it for generations. I prefer they be the role models and not government, schools or Hollywood for that matter.

Regards to all,

J

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
My parents never had sex and neither will I!!
I'll have to teach the same to my children. (followed by a winking smiley face, sticking out its tongue and slapping its knee)

Confusedly,
The Wolf

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
scotrace -- thanks for the puppy photos. I am envious. I lost my little chihuahua-man last year and, at present, am unable to get a dog because of my transient situation. But, once I am ensconsed in a home, I plan to get a little dog.

At first I thought they were pit bull puppies, but did I not see an adult pug in one photo?

karol

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Neat!

Zach R. said:
Ah, English bulls, I have one myself.
That makes three of us Loungers with bullies.

Karol, no pugs - Bulldogs. Decidedly NOT pit bulls.
This is the seventh bully we've had over the last 16 years or so.

Michaelson - congrats!!

Sorry to hijack a great thread...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy