Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

World's Fairs...

Wild Root

Gone Home
Who here has a love or an interest in the World's Fairs of 1933-34 and 1939-40? These were some remarkable events in the early 20th Century! Most of any modern ideas were there and most large companies were their showing off their newest products. It was these were fairs of all fairs to ever happen! It was a very big thing to go and see! In 1939 RCA introduced their first TV. The first one most saw ever.

There really is a lot of interesting things about these two world's fairs. Here is a few photos for your enjoy meant.

Root.

PS. This is good shot of the grounds of the New York 1939 Fair.

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I sure am

I checked out a book at the library last year on the 1939 NY Worlds Fair. Wonderful book. Great pics and details of the entire fair, its history, construction, and events. It also clovers what happened to most of the stuff after the fair.

Last great fair in America, Im sure of that!

Wild Root

Gone Home
I agree! Also, what do you have hanging around San Fran? I know you have some cool stuff up there.

Tell me, what did you find that is still around over in New York?

Root.

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
1939 Worlds Fair

OK Root! I just drove down and got the book again:

THE WORLD OF TOMORROW: The 1939 New York World's Fair

This book has WONDERFUL pics and stories of the fair. The Du Pont Building, The Westinghouse, the GM, the Ford...you name it. High quality pictures of the wonderful people enjoying the event. Section on souvineers too.

My, how people dressed back then. Oh and the cars and displays and rides and ...wow. I wish I could go back to that time.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Andy, I have dreamed of going back to the fair my self! They also had some of the big name bands play there! I have a small clip of colored footage of lindy hoppers dancing at the fair! It's cool!

I'll look for that book! Sounds great!

Take care,

Root.

PS. Did you see the post of my 1933 worlds fair hat?

Canadave

One Too Many
Here are some pics of my one and only World's Fair souvenir, a matchbox cover...

wf.JPG

wf2.JPG

I love the logo shown on this shot -

wf3.JPG

wf4.JPG

David

Wild Root

Gone Home
Cool Dave! I as well as you do, love the logo! I have a very deco tie clasp that has that logo in cobalt blue and silver. I?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢ll take a photo of it soon

That is really a cool souvenir! It has the Science building and the Transport and Transpiration building on it! That?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s swell, thanks for sharing.

Root.

PS. I took that cool logo and made it into a wall paper for my desktop. I added the out side design around the fair?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s logo with Photoshop. What do you think?

Canadave

One Too Many
Pretty cool. What if you widened the white stripes and narrowed the blue to match the rings of Saturn? Just a thought.

Love to see that tie clasp.

David

Wild Root

Gone Home
Yeah, I thought of that, but I like this better. Wanted the logo to stand out. Looks like most Art deco I have seen. Thanks for the input;)

I'll take a photo of the two tie clasps I have! I have one for the two years of that fair. It lasted from 1933 to 1934! So, I have one with the rings of Saturn and one with the three towers.

I'll try and do it today some time.

Root.

Wild Root

Gone Home
WOW! I really like that one! I have never seen that style before. You have a rare one for sure!

You know, it?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s very hard to tell how early a tie is. I know which of mine are 30?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s but I don?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢t know how early some of mine are. I know that one of my ties are from 1934 because it has a National Recovery Act Tag on it.

I wear any 30?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s brocaded tie with my world?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s fair tie bars. So, I wouldn?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢t not wear it because you?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢re not sure of the age of the tie. I some times wear my tie bars with 40?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s clothes. It?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s a trinket from the fair and I think most men would have worn them if they had them.

Any way, I would like to see some more of your collection up here. You seem to have quite a collection.

Take care,

Root.

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Yes, we have just one left in stock!

Oh of dreams could come true. That photo of the cars in the parking lot! Just walk out and pick out the vintage ride of your dreams! And look how clean and perfectly aligned they are.

Do you think people took better care of their cars (and homes and clothes) back then?

I will have to check my World's Fair stuff out again. When your family lives in one place for so long they accumulate stuff. I think I have a program from 1915 when it was out here (maybe it was called the Panama Pacific Exposition then?) and 1939. There is tons of stuff to collect from the Fairs---coins, canes, ashtrays, silent butlers and programs: just to name a few. I will have to check what I have in the old trunk. We still have a few leftover buildings around San Francisco as well.
It was a big thing to go see the Fair in those days. Entertainment was not like it is today. You might have been able to see a play, listen to the radio or spend the night out on the town but 200 channels of TV was unheard of. LOL

Regards to all,

J

Wild Root

Gone Home
Well, 200 channels were unheard of, but they had maybe 4 or 5. RCA introduced TV to the world at the 39 fair in New York. Yes, entertainment is in ways better today, but I rather check out a play, or a live big band then kill hours on the chesterfield. Just me. Radio in lots of ways was SO much better back then! More to choose from and it was clean and no garbage! Commercials were not so ramped as well!

I?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢m used to having no cable, and the only reason I want it, is to see old movies. Well, there's nothing like seeing one of those films on the big screen and in a lovely art deco theater! Imagine, seeing Bogart, Gabel, Rogers, Astaire up there larger then life! With a live band supporting it as well! Man, who could beat that? Entertainment was full of live performances! Reruns were not heard of. It was a golden era! Think of it... driving in a nice car, say a 1939 Plymouth to the theatre, then smelling that fresh popcorn as you enter, having an usher in a red suit with buttons, a pill cap and a flashlight show you to your seat. You see a cartoon, say a Warner Bros toon. News real about world events... Then, the main feature! The band strikes up and the room is filled with excitement! Ahhh, then you see your favorite stars up there! What a way to spend the night!

I could go on, but I wouldn't.

Yes, I may have been born just too late.

Root.

PS. Now they did have lines then too! Movies were BIG! Even biger when a name band was in the house!

Trenter

New in Town
New York World´s Fair 1939 Official Guide Book Second Edition

I´m bumping this thread to show you some images of a book I found in a thrift shop this summer. It´s the second edition of the official guide book to the 1939 New York World´s Fair. The foreword states that it was printed before the Fair formally opened and that there were frequent revised editions of the guide throughout the exhibition.

The small images inside are mostly sketches, I guess because they were still constructing the buildings at the time. Still it is a thrilling experience to view all the futuristic art deco architecture.

If there is an interest in seeing more from the inside, let me know and I´ll try to upload some more images for you.

4938877578_e0c468d97a.jpg

4938293085_1687f919c5.jpg

4938292599_7ee0637077.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24