Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wormser

What a great time machine example of a fine Wormser.

Sure is pretty. That’s a dream hat in that condition and size. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Great hat, Mark I'm a Wormser fan and would love to find a Texan. I have an OR clone from the "Regency" series, whatever that means. That one looks soft where with mine I can prop up my truck hood.

Top of the heap there, Mark. Good get.Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
Yep, This is an awesome find....only it was found by fellow lounger Telemaster who got it overseas AND was in shock it was too big for him! So we made a deal! He has helped me locate a couple of good hats!
We have good people here!
M;)
PS And I now have another Wormser on it's way.........:eek::rolleyes:;):D:D:D:D:D
I had already found it by luck but was also alerted by another freind here!

Here is a Wormser three fold to show us how to tie our ties.....from late 40's prior to 1949. Includes store locations, note the planned opening of a Kansas City, MO location as well as a store in Buffalo, N. Y. in 1949. Also note on the reverse Windsor knot page it denotes some prices on hats AND ties, as well as a notation that neckwear is not available in all stores. Wormser was interesting in that their hats were solely available in their own branded stores......which by the way seemed to carry NO other brands.:eek:;)
I almost forgot I had this piece of Wormser history!
M
20190621_160401.jpg
20190621_160430.jpg
20190621_160512.jpg
20190621_160602.jpg

Last edited:
To add mine to the catalog here,
IMG_4320 by Michael A2012, on Flickr
IMG_4326 by Michael A2012, on Flickr
No model name that I've found yet,
IMG_4324 by Michael A2012, on Flickr
IMG_4322 by Michael A2012, on Flickr
Sweat barrier behind the leather, no tip protector.
IMG_4319 by Michael A2012, on Flickr
Sewn on trolly button
IMG_4317 crop by Michael A2012, on Flickr
100 grams even, 2 3/4" raw edge, 5 1/2" open crown, 7/8" grosgrain ribbon
IMG_4350 by Michael A2012, on Flickr
IMG_4348 by Michael A2012, on Flickr

Have a good one,
Michael
I keep going back and looking at this one......simply stunning!!

Great hat, Mark I'm a Wormser fan and would love to find a Texan. I have an OR clone from the "Regency" series, whatever that means. That one looks soft where with mine I can prop up my truck hood.
:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
Now THAT is stiff!
Well.....on this one.....the brim is rather stiff but flexible........the crown (whole hat really) has a sort of hard finish, not really soft but more malable than the brim AND dry creases with ease! It is a nice thin dense felt....a good example of the slightly stiffer but nice and thin felts of the time.......and it would NOT be able prop up up your truck hood!;) This hat is in absolutly "off the shelf yesterday new" condition and strikes me it would realy age well with daily wear, loose the stifness and end up with "that" feel and hand we all love!
M:)
20190620_151152.jpg

Michael A

I'll Lock Up
I keep going back and looking at this one......simply stunning!!
Thanks Mark. It is a gem. Sadly the sweat is having some aging going on now.

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
Now THAT is stiff!
Well.....on this one.....the brim is rather stiff but flexible........the crown (whole hat really) has a sort of hard finish, not really soft but more malable than the brim AND dry creases with ease! It is a nice thin dense felt....a good example of the slightly stiffer but nice and thin felts of the time.......and it would NOT be able prop up up your truck hood!;) This hat is in absolutly "off the shelf yesterday new" condition and strikes me it would realy age well with daily wear, loose the stifness and end up with "that" feel and hand we all love!
View attachment 174466
That looks like a very nice OR type you scored there. On mine the brim is relatively stiff and has an audible snap when you snap it down or back up. At the same time it is very thin felt. The crown is as soft to the touch as any felt I've handled, but at the same time dense enough to shape and hold it's shape with ease. Yours might end up being the same after some wear.

Michael

And THEN....... this non descript two tone grey box arrives.......the lid is lifted......and after the bright lights tone down, and the angels stop singing......he sees he scored ANOTHER Wormser, ALMOST as pristine as his first!:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
THIS one is circa 1950 Ten Star Quality OR clone.......:eek::rolleyes:;)
6 inch crown......3 inch brim...two inch sweat with onionskin protector...and the felt? .....WELL...it is thin and soft with that hand we all crave!!! I IMAGINE:rolleyes: as I do not have one to directly compare:(, it is like a 7X, YES...it is that nice!:eek:;):) It is DEFINITLY a step above ANY of the 3X I DO own!:eek::rolleyes:;)
But then I should not praise it too much......in fact.....I lied......it sucks....:eek::eek::eek:
With that in mind....if any of you see a Wormser 10 Star in my size....DO NOT BUY IT!
Just send it my way......I will buy it and relieve you from being disappointed in this piece of garbage......:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:;) What you see in the creased pictures is he result of my simply running my hands along the crown.....no steam what so ever.......YES....this hat sucks!:eek::rolleyes::D:D:D:D:D:D Oh yes....the button is sewn to the hat like all Wormsers of this period. I DID have to pay up a bit on this one....glad I did.....Oh, wait......no I am not.....piece of crap.....:cool:
20190625_142215.jpg
20190625_142029.jpg
20190625_163024.jpg
20190625_163137.jpg
20190625_163157.jpg
20190625_163229.jpg
20190625_163314.jpg
20190625_163648.jpg
20190625_163625.jpg
20190625_163524.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Mark. It is a gem. Sadly the sweat is having some aging going on now.

That looks like a very nice OR type you scored there. On mine the brim is relatively stiff and has an audible snap when you snap it down or back up. At the same time it is very thin felt. The crown is as soft to the touch as any felt I've handled, but at the same time dense enough to shape and hold it's shape with ease. Yours might end up being the same after some wear. Michael
Michael,
Yes, I think it will soften nicely over time too!

I must say.....between the two hats...while I like mine a lot......I really like yours better! That mid ribbon look is nice!
Mark

Michael A

I'll Lock Up
And THEN....... this non descript two tone grey box arrives.......the lid is lifted......and after the bright lights tone down, and the angels stop singing......he sees he scored ANOTHER Wormser, ALMOST as pristine as his first!:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
6 inch crown......3 inch brim.....and the felt? .....WELL...it is thin and soft with that hand we all crave!!! I IMAGINE:rolleyes: as I do not have one to directly compare:(, it is like a 7X, YES...it is that nice!:eek:;):) It is DEFINITLY a step above ANY of the 3X I DO own!:eek::rolleyes:;)
But then I should not praise it too much......in fact.....I lied......it sucks....:eek::eek::eek:
With that in mind....if any of you see a Wormser 10 Star in my size....DO NOT BUY IT!
Just send it my way......I will buy it and relieve you from being disappointed in this piece of garbage......:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:;) What you see in the creased pictures is he result of my simply running my hands along the crown.....no steam what so ever.......YES....this hat sucks!:eek::rolleyes::D:D:D:D:D:D Oh yes....the button is sewn to the hat like all Wormsers of this period. I DID have to pay up a bit on this one....glad I did.....Oh, wait......no I am not.....piece of crap.....:cool:
M:) View attachment 174472 View attachment 174473 View attachment 174474 View attachment 174475 View attachment 174476 View attachment 174477 View attachment 174478 View attachment 174480 View attachment 174481 View attachment 174482
Looks a treat, Mark. It's a pity it turned out to be a piece of junk. Haha.

M

Michael A

I'll Lock Up
Michael,
Yes, I think it will soften nicely over time too!

I must say.....between the two hats...while I like mine a lot......I really like yours better! That mid ribbon look is nice!
Mark
I generally favor a bound brim hat, but I think the mid ribbon and raw edge on mine is a really winning combo. And then I've got maybe a half dozen OR types and maybe only one other mid ribbon, so there is that too.

Thanks,
Michael

I generally favor a bound brim hat, but I think the mid ribbon and raw edge on mine is a really winning combo. And then I've got maybe a half dozen OR types and maybe only one other mid ribbon, so there is that too.

Thanks,
Michael
Yes......it is that way with me too...right down to bound brim hats....and yes...the OR types are more common......and that combo of raw edge and mid ribbon......IS a winner!

Perhaps it needs to go a walking more often.....and petted.....and brushed........and if all else fails......there is always the water trough.....:rolleyes:

Mark, you would have to handle this thing to understand how incredibly stiff it is. Just not what we expect from such a nice hat. I love it and wouldn't change a thing with the crease but having the option is always better.

6 inch crown......3 inch brim...two inch sweat with onionskin protector...and the felt? .....WELL...it is thin and soft with that hand we all crave!!! I IMAGINE:rolleyes: as I do not have one to directly compare:(, it is like a 7X, YES...it is that nice!:eek:;):) It is DEFINITLY a step above ANY of the 3X I DO own!:eek::rolleyes:;)
M:) View attachment 174472 View attachment 174473 View attachment 174474 View attachment 174475 View attachment 174476 View attachment 174477 View attachment 174478 View attachment 174480 View attachment 174481 View attachment 174482

Way to go, Mark! I’m glad you weren’t disappointed. Now for one in one size larger....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner