Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Worst insult

dr greg

One Too Many
As a writer of period fiction I'm always keenly interested in the slang of the past: an English friend of mine was telling me his father's worst insult was to call a man a 'ponce' which meant a man who lived off the prostitution of his wife/woman, as distinct from a pimp or brothel owner. The word has degraded over the years to colloquially mean an effeminate man, if used at all by Gen X Y or whatever arse-end of the alphabet is being used today. The word in Australia to describe this practise was 'bludger' a word my father used with great distaste also. This word has also degraded to mean any lazy person, particularly those supposed to be having a free ride on welfare, it is rarely used about the idle inherited rich though, gee what a surprise...anyway, point of the story...what is the US equivalent of the word, if indeed the practise is/was frowned upon:D

ortega76

Practically Family
dr greg said:
As a writer of period fiction I'm always keenly interested in the slang of the past: an English friend of mine was telling me his father's worst insult was to call a man a 'ponce' which meant a man who lived off the prostitution of his wife/woman, as distinct from a pimp or brothel owner. The word has degraded over the years to colloquially mean an effeminate man, if used at all by Gen X Y or whatever arse-end of the alphabet is being used today. The word in Australia to describe this practise was 'bludger' a word my father used with great distaste also. This word has also degraded to mean any lazy person, particularly those supposed to be having a free ride on welfare, it is rarely used about the idle inherited rich though, gee what a surprise...anyway, point of the story...what is the US equivalent of the word, if indeed the practise is/was frowned upon:D

Ha ha. I used the word "ponce" the other day to mean effeminate. I believe I used it as "F*$#ing Ponce".

Johnnysan

One Too Many
Ya learn somethin' new every day...

I thought I knew all of the derogatory words in the book, but "ponce" is a new one. Thanks for broadening my horizons, fellas! ;)

Tony in Tarzana

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I think I know what a "Four-flusher" is, although in this age of low-flow facilities, it may have a new meaning.

Another one is "Blackguard" of which I have no clue of the etymology.

Another one I'm not sure of is "Jackleg" which I've only seen P.J. O'Rourke use.

My Dad would refer to coarse young men as "Yobboes."

Mom had several choice words, but they were all in German and I never asked her to spell them. lol

LizzieMaine

Bartender
"Jackleg" is a dialect word that originally referred to a traveling preacher who had no formal ordination, and would go from town to town subsisting on the contributions of the faithful. Evidently enough of these guys were con artists that the word picked up the general connotation of a phony or a shyster. Thus, a "jackleg lawyer" or a "jackleg politician".

Me, I've always liked "muttonhead," which was my grandfather's word for anyone who annoyed him.

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
For further anthropology of the word ponce please see Withnail & I immediately.

_635264_withnail150.jpg

You'll like it.

In my neck of the woods the worst thing a guy could be called was a scab.

nightandthecity

Practically Family
Withnail! Great film! The most accurate representation of the 60s I've seen.

But I digress. In Britain "Ponce" can mean effeminate but it's got subtler nuances....it's more someone who is full of themselves, narcissistic (a bit like some of us here perhaps..but lets not follow that chain of thought....)

Funnily enough, I think most people in Britain are still aware of its original meaning (pimp).

Salv

One Too Many
There's also a UK insult that sounds like ponce but is IMO much worse: nonce, which means child-molester. I have no idea how this meaning of the word came about before anyone asks, but the Wikipedia claims it may be derived from nancy, as in an effeminate or homosexual man.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Food as Insult?

My brother uses "muttonhead."
Then there's chowderhead, fathead and meathead.
My best guy friend uses snacks rather than main courses to describe knuckleheads: nuts, ding dongs, and fruitcakes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot