Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Would you go to this event???

Badluck Brody

Practically Family
As a commercial photographer, I’ve become involved in various reenactment groups and events that range from the Civil War to the Wild West. However, growing up in Brew town (Milwaukee), I’ve always had a luv for classic cars, classic films and of coarse the Midwest gangland legends. Therefore, it’s only natural that I would want to find a way to roll all of this together and see what happens.

So here it is…

Take a Midwest town with a classic cobblestone main street, (Did I mention the wall to wall antique shops?). Throw in a corner bank- turned coffee shop (Exterior is intact, untouched and not farby) and an out of business Movie Theater… And what do you get?

An opportunity to bring the past alive!!!

I’m talking about bank robberies and shoot em-ups, by the likes of Dillinger and Bonnie & Clyde. Living history presentations by various WWI and WWII military reenactment units, a classic car show and parade, followed by a nighttime jazz or big band concert.

Would you go??

Badluck Brody

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender
I probably would...

.....depending on where it was.

Since you chose to put something clever in your "Location" field instead of where you really are......I have no idea what country you are in. We can probably assume you are in the USA since you wrote "midwest", so at least we can guess that.....but it is a big country.

Badluck Brody

Practically Family
Hey MK!

We're here in Wisconsin and since it's still in the works, I won't drop the name of the town. (Don't want to put the hex on the whole works.)

Any advice to make this a better event??

Brody

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender

There are a lot of things to consider. Do you have any experience in promoting an event? One thing that comes to mind right away is how do you create revenue? Are you going to charge tickets? What about the citizens of this community? Are you going to charge them also?

You probably could get a local oldies radio station envolved. They would promote it in exchange for being the main media sponsor and a presense at the events. If they are envolved you shouldn't have trouble booking a great band.

If you are going to have a car show, you could sell exhibit space to venders.

That's off the top of my head.

Badluck Brody

Practically Family
Good call

My cousin spins for one of the oldies stations in the area. This event is going to be pitched as an addition or possibly a replacement to a victorian weekend that is simply becoming a fleamarket stinkbomb.

As I said the street is practically wall to wall antique shops, book stores and ma and pa diners. My father n' law, is also very influential in the town council.

Our past event experience is to look for rev from local businesses and the chamber of commerce that sponsor the event. I know that my cousin has some pull with the stations, and I think we also have an army aircorps orchestra out of milwaukee that I'm going to look into.

I'm already touching base with some of the Classic Car Clubs (Model T, Model A) in the area. I've also begun talking with various WWII reenactor units for that American GI presence and attraction. I also have some great actors/reenactors that are just chomping at the bit to get into this gangland era for kicks.

Sure it will have to be pitched to the COC. But to bring people in you have to give em something more than "Joe the clown and his balloon animals" You also have to make em want to stay in the area long enough to see everything. And justify the local's investment.... I hate talking money stuff. But in order to have the fun stuff you do have to be realistic...

Brody

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buhles