Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wow! Expensive hat

Al

One of the Regulars
Borsalino 100% Genuine Beaver Fedora Stingy, The Ultimo

Just came across one of these while surfing the net. $725. Does anyone in this forum own one of these and what's your take?! I think it is a really nice lid, but, way out of my financial range.

Also, what would a custom made fedora cost on average; say, like one of those Art Fawcett creations.

Just curious!

HungaryTom

One Too Many
Al said:
$725. .

Just curious!

If you are ready to spend that amount you can get a commissioned Montecristi hat from PanamaBobat and let Mr. Fawcett block it. Also worth of each cent;) .

Tom

Spellflower

Practically Family
I know how I'd spend a $700 hat coupon, and it wouldn't involve anything made in a factory in the last 50 years! For that kind of dough, you could have practically any vintage Borsalino on ebay, with the possible exception of one worn by Brando in The Godfather! And that's not to mention the custom possibilities.

Al

One of the Regulars
Spellflower said:
I know how I'd spend a $700 hat coupon, and it wouldn't involve anything made in a factory in the last 50 years! For that kind of dough, you could have practically any vintage Borsalino on ebay, with the possible exception of one worn by Brando in The Godfather! And that's not to mention the custom possibilities.

I wish I had a $700 coupon!

But, I guess you have a valid point there Spellflower. It's like buying a new car and taking the depreciation hit up front - let someone else take the hit.

Did you check out the picture of the "Manhattan" on the Optimo http://www.optimohats.com/felthats.htm website? Go ahead, take a peek. Oh man!, I'm in love with that hat, it's a beauty!

Spellflower

Practically Family
Yeah, all their hats look nice.

I don't have any coupons either- wait, let me check the couch cushions....

No. Not even a "K-Mart Straw Hat Special." Oh well.:(

animator

One of the Regulars
The Manhattan looks a fair amount like the hat Art made me, except mine has a dark ribbon and slightly taller crown.

The great thing about a custom hat is you can choose the look you like and the quality you want made by someone who knows what they are doing.

$700 for a production hat seems wrong.

Al

One of the Regulars
animator said:
The Manhattan looks a fair amount like the hat Art made me, except mine has a dark ribbon and slightly taller crown.

The great thing about a custom hat is you can choose the look you like and the quality you want made by someone who knows what they are doing.

$700 for a production hat seems wrong.

I hear you man!

Uncle Vern

One of the Regulars
I have a rabbit version of that Borsalino Ultima stingy, made in the early 40's. It's a great hat, but I woudn't pay 700 bucks for a beaver version of it!

johnnyphi

Sponsoring Affiliate
Aside from Borsalino

Which vintage hats would reach this level of quality, or... is it true that nothing made today can equal the hats of 50-60 years ago?

Vintage Borsalino obviously would be the cream of the crop, but who else is in this ball park?

mineral

One of the Regulars
Al said:
Borsalino 100% Genuine Beaver Fedora Stingy, The Ultimo

Just came across one of these while surfing the net. $725.

I wonder if it's the same thing as the Borsalino 100% beaver offered at Bencraft's (for significantly less)?

Anyway, a check on Google with "Borsalino beaver ultimo" will suggest another source selling the hat at $550, so the person selling it at $725 must be ... [words left out].

NonEntity

Suspended
The upper-end Borsalinos like the Ultimo are still very fine hats, but $725 is outrageous. There's a lot of mark-up in Borsalinos, so if you must have this particular hat, you could save a couple hundred bucks by shopping around.

The Ultimo is a great-looking hat, but personally, I'd prefer a vintage Borsalino, which will be of even better quality and far less expensive. The obvious problem with that route is finding one in the style you seek in excellent condition that fits.

My suggestion is to get Art or another reputable hat maker to custom-make a hat with the exact dimesnions of the Stingy Ultimo. You'll pay less and get a hat of the very finest quality in terms of beaver fur felt and construction.

Al

One of the Regulars
johnnyphi said:
Which vintage hats would reach this level of quality, or... is it true that nothing made today can equal the hats of 50-60 years ago?

Vintage Borsalino obviously would be the cream of the crop, but who else is in this ball park?

Good questions, I'm all ears!

Al

One of the Regulars
NonEntity said:
My suggestion is to get Art or another reputable hat maker to custom-make a hat with the exact dimesnions of the Stingy Ultimo. You'll pay less and get a hat of the very finest quality in terms of beaver fur felt and construction.

Great suggestion.

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Like modern suits. You can get a very decent one for $600 but there are $5,000 suits out there too. And obviously someone buys them [huh]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy