Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WTB 1940's Stetson Fedora

Hunter Lomire

New in Town
Hello, i'm looking for a size 7 3/8 Stetson fedora like a whippet in grey or black with a wide brim from the 30's, 40's or 50's. I want to replicate the Bogart look. If not Stetson, any other brands work, i'm not very particular.

Last edited:

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
What is your price range? Do you want an orginal box included? Do you know your size for sure? Does it have to be a Stetson? Or a Dobbs? Mallory? An everyday "beater" or are you looking for "new old stock" which will be rather pricey.

Hunter Lomire

New in Town
What is your price range? Do you want an original box included? Do you know your size for sure? Does it have to be a Stetson? Or a Dobbs? Mallory? An everyday "beater" or are you looking for "new old stock" which will be rather pricey.
I have a baseball cap sized 7 3/8 that fits quite well. Any brand actually, I'm new to the whole fedora lounge thing. Everyday wear is my plan, It doesn't have to be mint just not in meh condition. Box would be cool but not necessary.

DanO

One of the Regulars
Check out ebay sounds like maybe an Akubra Stylemaster might be right. last one I bought for $50 in black. Look for size 59 or 60 in Akubra. Might also look for a modern Stetson Stratoliner I've picked them up for $100-$160 on the bay.

I have a baseball cap sized 7 3/8 that fits quite well. Any brand actually, I'm new to the whole fedora lounge thing. Everyday wear is my plan, It doesn't have to be mint just not in meh condition. Box would be cool but not necessary.

You're best bet is to hit estate sales and troll eBay for something you like. I'd also try to find a 7 3/8 "real" hat to try on and confirm my size. Baseball caps can fool you.

If price is no object (doubtful, right?), hit up timothiescloset on eBay and break out your checkbook. You'll find something, but you'll pay for it too!

moehawk

I'll Lock Up
If price is no object (doubtful, right?), hit up timothiescloset on eBay and break out your checkbook. You'll find something, but you'll pay for it too!

Or you could explore the bespoke option. There are some great custom hatters here on the Lounge and elsewhere. For the prices timothie wants for anyyhing remotely resembling what you are looking for, you could get a really nice Gannon, for example. You would wait, of course, but look at the M C Gannon thread and decide if it's worth the wait. Check out other custom makers too. Links should be in the hat forum stickies.

Or you could explore the bespoke option. There are some great custom hatters here on the Lounge and elsewhere. For the prices timothie wants for anyyhing remotely resembling what you are looking for, you could get a really nice Gannon, for example. You would wait, of course, but look at the M C Gannon thread and decide if it's worth the wait. Check out other custom makers too. Links should be in the hat forum stickies.

Without knowing the OP's budget, it's very hard to recommend. He can certainly get the style he wants from a modern hat - Akubra Stylemaster, Akubra Fedora on the low end, one of the newer Stetsons, such as a Stetsonian, at the high end. Or certainly one of our fine hatters can give him the look he wants. However, if he really wants vintage, we all know what that means: Estate sales, antiques shops, eBay, Etsy, Kajiji, etc.

Hunter Lomire

New in Town
Thank you everyone. I'm on a college student budget, although if something is worth the price, i'm willing to buy it. I always wonder where I can find an estate sale in southeast PA?

Thank you everyone. I'm on a college student budget, although if something is worth the price, i'm willing to buy it. I always wonder where I can find an estate sale in southeast PA?

www.estatesales.net

Also, if you're in a "college town" or a larger city, go check out the vintage clothing shops.

I guess what I'm getting at is if you want what you're looking for and are of limited means, you'll have to do some legwork, either for real or on the net. It's what most of us do. Some have more discretionary income than others (many of us are of a more seasoned age) and their potential pool is larger. However, take it from a cheapskate like me - you can find very nice hats in the styles you like for affordable prices, even in this competitive market.

And while you're out there, if you find any 7 1/4 Dalton Hats, PM me. ;)

Hunter Lomire

New in Town
www.estatesales.net

Also, if you're in a "college town" or a larger city, go check out the vintage clothing shops.

I guess what I'm getting at is if you want what you're looking for and are of limited means, you'll have to do some legwork, either for real or on the net. It's what most of us do. Some have more discretionary income than others (many of us are of a more seasoned age) and their potential pool is larger. However, take it from a cheapskate like me - you can find very nice hats in the styles you like for affordable prices, even in this competitive market.

And while you're out there, if you find any 7 1/4 Dalton Hats, PM me. ;)
Thanks for the tip. I'll be searching. Ebay seems to have a decent selection surprisingly.

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
You really do need to try on some fedoras. My size, for example, runs between 7-3/8 and 7-1/2. In new hats the 7-3/8 seems to be too small, but in vintage hats I have yet to try on a 7-3/8 that didn't fit passably, at the very least. With my 50's Cavanagh 7-3/8 long oval, it fits perfectly. On a 1980's Borsalino, it's absolutely too small. You can run into size differences even with the same company.

Experience can be expensive. Despite the best advice, we all have a learning curve. But I agree about finding some used hats at Goodwill or estate sales and the like...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21