Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WTB: Al Capone Fedora

Flw Sock

New in Town
I'm not sure if this post is supposed to be here, but I don't know where else to put it. Please let me know if I did something wrong, I'm new here.

I'm looking for a fedora that would be similar to the one Al Capone is wearing in this picture:

capone.jpg

It doesn't have to be anything fancy, because I can only spend around $30. I just want it to look the same. I'm assuming that if I take care of it, it will last me. Please let me know if you have one you would be able to sell and for how much. As a final point, I would love to see a picture or two of what I'm buying before I actually make a big on it.

Edit regarding size:
After reading on how to find out my hat size, I simply measured my head with a tape measure and it came out to almost exactly two feet. According to this table: http://www.davidmorgan.com/hatsizing.html that makes me a size 7 3/4 or 62 metric.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Johnny J

Call Me a Cab
Hello and welcome to the lounge! I'm not sure if your going to be able to find something like Capone's hat for that price. All I can think of is for you saving up some money and letting Art Fawcett from Vintage Silhouettes custom make you one. You can see his work under the Hats section and then look for the "Art Fawcett Hall of Fame" thread. You might think its a little expensive, but you will not regret ordering one of his hats.

TomS

One Too Many
Hi:
You might try checking out ebay. I saw a couple of *gangster fedoras*. Good luck!!
Best,
Tom

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
If $30 is your absolute budget, you're going to have a tough time finding even a wool hat to fit the bill. My suggestion would be to save a lot more. The problem is that there aren't a lot of modern hats that look like Capone's.

Connoisseur_BP

Familiar Face
My first fedora was this one. It's the New Yorker by Bailey. It's no vintage Borsalino Alexandria or Cavanagh Edge, but it ain't bad for a first hat. It's wool felt which isn't as good as fur felt, but as I said above it's not a bad first hat. Problem is it'll still run you about $88.00 plus shipping.

Chief000731

Practically Family
Sock welcome to the Lounge what size are you looking for? I just sent 20 fedoras to Major Moore at Buckaroo Hatters here on The Fedora Lounge PM him and see if he has one that will work for you his prices are VERY reasonable, I'm sure he can fix you up... But back to my question what size hat do you wear [huh]? I'll look around here and see if I have something that will work for you also... Again welcome to the Lounge. Chief. :cool:

I'm not sure if this post is supposed to be here, but I don't know where else to put it. Please let me know if I did something wrong, I'm new here.

I'm looking for a fedora that would be similar to the one Al Capone is wearing in this picture:

capone.jpg

It doesn't have to be anything fancy, because I can only spend around $30. I just want it to look the same. I'm assuming that if I take care of it, it will last me. Please let me know if you have one you would be able to sell and for how much. As a final point, I would love to see a picture or two of what I'm buying before I actually make a big on it.

Thanks.

Connoisseur_BP

Familiar Face
Sock welcome to the Lounge what size are you looking for? I just sent 20 fedoras to Major Moore at Buckaroo Hatters here on The Fedora Lounge PM him and see if he has one that will work for you his prices are VERY reasonable, I'm sure he can fix you up... But back to my question what size hat do you wear [huh]? I'll look around here and see if I have something that will work for you also... Again welcome to the Lounge. Chief. :cool:

Chief, what sort of fedoras are we talking about here? Stetson, Dobbs, Borso?[huh]

Last edited:

Flw Sock

New in Town

Thanks a lot for your hospitality and willing to help, I will need it! I don't wear hats that often, and when I do it's usually just one of those baseball caps that have the adjustable back. After reading on how to find out my hat size, I simply measured my head with a tape measure and it came out to almost exactly two feet. According to this table: http://www.davidmorgan.com/hatsizing.html that makes me a size 7 3/4 or 62 metric.
Sorry it took me so long to reply, yesterday was hectic and I wasn't able to return back to the website.

Edward

Bartender
How much like Capone's hat do you want to get? You'll probably be able to find a nice wool hat in that general vein. you'll find that round here we much prefer fur felt, but most of us started with wool hats and when you accept them for different beasts as they are, you'll find they have their own merits too. The thing about wool is, if you want a hat shaped exactly like Capone's, you'll struggle... Wool hats don't take to home reshaping the way a felt does. The glib answer is to say wait until you have more to spend and then buy an open-crown Akubra Federation from www.hatsdirect.com. There is a thread on here somewhere with details of how to shape a hat into Capone's brim-one-side-up/ coffee-bean crown look. (Yes - here we are: http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?50044-quot-Chicago-Hook-quot-bash& ). I'd suggest you do just that, but in the meantime hit up eBay for a reasonable, used fur felt fedora that can be steamed and reshaped, because let's face it, you want a hat to wear now, while you save for a "better" one, right? Of course, if you're happy with a general era-shape fedora for now, you'll find that easily enough in wool, which will certainly let you keep saving for a Fed or other hat you can bash exactly like the Capone.

Edward

Bartender
Thanks a lot for your hospitality and willing to help, I will need it! I don't wear hats that often, and when I do it's usually just one of those baseball caps that have the adjustable back. After reading on how to find out my hat size, I simply measured my head with a tape measure and it came out to almost exactly two feet. According to this table: http://www.davidmorgan.com/hatsizing.html that makes me a size 7 3/4 or 62 metric.
Sorry it took me so long to reply, yesterday was hectic and I wasn't able to return back to the website.

Ah, that will make vintage difficult, as larger sizes are simply less common. I'd suggest a nice-enough wool fedora to have something to wear for now, and saving for something you can do the full Capone on in time.

Flw Sock

New in Town
So, what you're saying is that I have a huge head? Haha.

I'll check out what is around. Hopefully Chief or Major Moore will have something that fits, and looks nice.

Chief - I have tried to Message majormoore but I cannot send him a private message. Am I restricted to do so? I can't seem to find any other way to contact him.

Last edited:

Chief000731

Practically Family
Yeah hey no problem Sock... Ball Cap huh! Yeah I quit wearing a ball cap back in 62 when I grew up :D... No just kidding Sock I'll look around and see if I can find something.... Oh on the lounge we don't really mention ball caps unless we are hacking on someone :D.... We are big boys Fedora guys [huh]. Just havin fun Sock I'll get back too you after I see if I have anything... Chief

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran