Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WTB: Original or reproduction Stratoliner pin

Banky

One of the Regulars
As title says wanting either the real pin or a reproduction there of. Please reply here or pm me and thanks for any help!

DJH

I'll Lock Up
I've had some of those guys pins as well as the vintage ones.
The 1903.com pins are pretty good; certainly worth the money.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
I've got a couple of originals and will shoot you a pm.

forgot the photo in the pm
here's the quick snap
DSCN6694_zps6a2bf728.jpg

Last edited:

Landman

One Too Many
Lefty, the pin in the middle of your photo is a reproduction, correct? Or did Stetson eventually make a pin that looked like a Stratoliner and not the DC-3?

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Mike, the Stetson hat shipped with the 2 engine DC3 pin. The 4 engine Stratoliner pins that Lefty finds are from the same period, but I don't believe were ever used by Stetson.

I currently have a pair of Stratoliner hats and one of each pin - both of which came from Lefty as it happens. I don't think it was ever determined why Stetson used a different model plane on the Stratoliner hat.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
That's correct. Stetson sold the Stratoliner hat with the wrong pin - a DC-3.
The pin in the center of the photo is of a Stratoliner. Some people prefer to "fix" Stetson's marketing mistake by wearing a Stratoliner pin on a Stratoliner hat.

All the pins in the photo are vintage/original.

Fed in a Fedora

Practically Family

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Yes.

I wouldn't put a repro pin on an original hat, but that's me. different strokes for different folks

Landman

One Too Many
His repro's are very good. I have both the DC-3 and 4 engine pin from him. They are very well made.

David & Lefty, thanks for the info about the pins. I knew Stetson erroneously put the DC-3 pin on the Stratoliner but I never knew there were vintage 4 engine pins. I just assumed any 4 engine pin was made recently by Joe at www.1903.com

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
The Strat pins do face backward, and the DC-3s look like they're going down. All of this seems to have been planned by the anti-Don Draper.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
John Frum