Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WW2 A-8 pants

PaidInFull24

Familiar Face
Hey guys,

Got a nice pair of A-8 pants off ebay tonight to add to my growing collection. Can anyone shed any light on the A-8? They are down-filled and look to be in great shape. I have read in another spot that the A-8 were kindof an intermediate between shearling wool flight clothing and the later alpaca lined flight clothing. Is this correct? The pants that I bought don't have a label in them, but the style is consistent with Eddie Bauer A-8 pants. Was Eddie Bauer one of the only manufacturers of the A-8's, or like with most other things during wartime, were there other companies who also manufactured? Also, what would be the accompanying parka? As always, thanks in advance for all of your help. I know I ask some goofy questions, but you really don't know how much I, being a new collector, appreciate all the information that I gain from you guys.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Arm...ultDomain_0&hash=item19ca832c7e#ht_4121wt_943

Regards,
Nick

PaidInFull24

Familiar Face
In doing some of my own research, I found this link:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...-of-the-new-heritage-collection-62185622.html

Apparently, Eddie Bauer himself was the one to design the A-8 flight pants and B-9 parka for the USAAF in 1942. Here is a blip from another site:
"In 1942, Army Air Force fliers in Alaska were wearing the upper section of the Eddie Bauer cold weather suit, because its performance beat anything the Army was offering at the time. When command caught wind of this, they contacted Eddie and asked him to design a “cold weather buoyancy flight suit.” The two main criteria were that a flier had to remain warm while sitting still for up to three hours in -70°F, and that the garment also keep a flier plus 25 pounds of gear afloat in water for up to 24 hours – in case the plane got shot down. Berg stated that the down-insulated B-9 Parka and A-8 Flight Pants “passed every test, and saved many lives.”
source:http://blog.seattlepi.com/bellevue-...f-eddie-bauer-history-on-display-in-bellevue/

Any additional info is greatly appreciated!

normanf

One of the Regulars
In doing some of my own research, I found this link:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...-of-the-new-heritage-collection-62185622.html

Apparently, Eddie Bauer himself was the one to design the A-8 flight pants and B-9 parka for the USAAF in 1942. Here is a blip from another site:
"In 1942, Army Air Force fliers in Alaska were wearing the upper section of the Eddie Bauer cold weather suit, because its performance beat anything the Army was offering at the time. When command caught wind of this, they contacted Eddie and asked him to design a “cold weather buoyancy flight suit.” The two main criteria were that a flier had to remain warm while sitting still for up to three hours in -70°F, and that the garment also keep a flier plus 25 pounds of gear afloat in water for up to 24 hours – in case the plane got shot down. Berg stated that the down-insulated B-9 Parka and A-8 Flight Pants “passed every test, and saved many lives.”
source:http://blog.seattlepi.com/bellevue-...f-eddie-bauer-history-on-display-in-bellevue/

Any additional info is greatly appreciated!

Eddie Bauer still does make the B-9 Parka. Its a great vintage style parka:

EB11IC_0014139_100C1

normanf

One of the Regulars
One reviewer said this about the B-9 and its high praise:

est Parka - This is coming from a perfectionist
October 27, 2011
Customer Avatar
EddieBauerConsumer

Look:
5 / 5
5 / 5
Quality:
5 / 5
5 / 5
Value:
5 / 5
5 / 5
Fit:
true to size
I have been searching for the perfect parka for several years. During that time I have purchased and returned several parkas from all the major name brands and returned most. This is the first parka that met all my expectations:
- quilted inside liner
- adjustable hood
- high quality heavy duty large metal zipper
- NO bidirectional zipper (DOES NOT open at the bottom and top)
- no real or immitation fur (never looks as good as the picture)
- no velcro
- machine washable
- well insulated shell
- insulated pockets
- not too big
During my quest I was amazed to spend over $300 for a jacket with a cheezy zipper, or uninsulated pockets. And I absolutely can't stand velcro, which is only good while it's new. And the biggest bane of the jacket industry is the bi-directional zipper that opens at the bottom and the top. It's a great idea in theory but I'm so sick of fighting with those every time I put on a jacket. I have NEVER used that feature and it was an incredible bonus that this parka didn't have it! When I spend this much on a jacket I expect my grandchildren to be using it long after I'm gone -- this jacket is made with that level of quality. I very rarely give 5 star reviews but this parka fits the bill! NO NEGATIVES! ALL POSITIVES! RARE!

One tough critic!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff