Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WW2 Coastal Command Irvin. Replacing a missing hood.

rick howarth

New in Town
This is an appeal for help with some measurements taken from an RAF WW2 Coastal Command Irvin hood. I recently purchased a size 6 Jacket [small grubby label tells me that] the hood of which has been cut off leaving just the short yellow collar. Uncommon larger size but not uncommon to find the hoods removed I understand. As I can't find any manufacturer who will make a replacement I have decided to make one myself. Devising a pattern is proving difficult and so far has been done on the basis of some excellent photographs on this site but if some kind person out there would provide me with a couple of crucial measurements and details I think I can do it.

Question one. Main measurement I need is the length of the edge of the front of the hood from the top of one half of the zip to the other ?

Question two. Looking at the hood from the back the two panels either side of the central seam each have a short seam at an angle from the main seam covering what I take to be a closed triangular cut out to give the hood curvature. Along the main seam how far up the panel are those cuts and still following the main seam what is the measurement from that cut to the front of the hood ?.

Final Question Three, are the two central panels the same width along their whole length.

If you aren't familiar with the jacket type all this will seem as clear as mud, and about as interesting !, but I know there are experts on this forum who can provide the information I need and I would be most appreciative of it.

Thankyou in advance

Last edited:

Otter

One Too Many
Rick, I do not post on here any more, Andrew is the font of all things to do with this, re-post on the outerwear forum, maybe in one of the continuing threads and he will see it. One of the other members is having a CC restored atm. Failing that the good folks over at the Vintage Leather Jackets Forum can probably help , good luck and toodle pip.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner