Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WW2 RAF Coastal Command Hood.

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Here are three pics of a CC jacket's hood.
P1100906_zpsa3b5ed8d.jpg

P1100905_zps28c2d167.jpg

P1100904_zps47cbe5a7.jpg

Here are answers to your questions.

Question one. Main measurement I need is the length of the edge of the front of the hood from the top of one half of the zip to the other ? 13"

Question two. Looking at the hood from the back the two panels either side of the central seam each have a short seam at an angle from the main seam covering what I take to be a closed triangular cut out to give the hood curvature. Along the main seam how far up the panel are those cuts and still following the main seam what is the measurement from that cut to the front of the hood ? They are 6.5" for both measurements.

Final Question Three, are the two central panels the same width along their whole length? No. They are 3" at the back of the hood and taper from the middle to 2".

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Jon from Aces High uses much more accurate zips based on Wartime Lightning zips. If he can source them I'm sure Aero can.

rick howarth

New in Town
Many thanks Andrew for responding so quickly and for the excellent photographs which clarify another area I was uncertain of, the shape of the side panels. On my pattern I got the angle far too acute at the little cut outs, the side panels are more curved than I had thought. What I obviously haven't explained properly is the measurement I need along the whole of the front edge of the hood, all the way round. On my "guessed" pattern it comes out at 26". Again sorry I haven't explained things too well.

Interesting. The hoods seem to be exactly the same size on different sizes of jackets. This seems odd to me. The hood on my size 1 jacket is very small - almost useless, tbh. I can't imagine what it ould be like to have that size hood on a larger jacket.

Yes, those short seams at the crown of the hood cover a dart.

rick howarth

New in Town
Actually Andrew I replied to your email immediately but I have just realised that reply is probably in your message box on this site. Sorry I am truly a "new boy".

I've put together a pattern which I'll scan and post. The numbers are essentially the same as Andrew posted. The only difference being that at the point of the small darts, the central panels measure 3.25", and at the front measure 2.5". At the rear they measure 3", like on Andrew's example.

Andrew - what size jacket is your hood on? I assume larger than mine (just about fits a 36 chest with just a shirt underneath)? It amazes me that a teeny tiny jacket like mine would have the same size hood as a larger one. Weird.

bk

rick howarth

New in Town
Andrew has sold me a genuine replacement hood so I'm in cloud cuckoo land.The offer of a pattern is still very much appreciated and with your permission and if its still available I will share it with others who are interested. Thankyou again to everyone who has been so helpful.

rick howarth

New in Town
Correction to the above. Aero contacted me today [ 8th Jan ] and informed me they could make a hood. Thanks to Andrew I no longer need one but perhaps someone else out there might and Aero seem to be the company to contact

Dumpster Diver

Practically Family
The hood on mine Looks Real nice when you fold it inside out, the Fleece of the Jacket is dark brown, but the hood is a nice golden fleece, gives a nice two-tone look, no other jacket in my oppinion is quite as unique. Im not sure about the desighn of the hood, As far as I presume, most Crew could fold the hood inside-out as it was patterned to do so. like a nice comfy collar, and only unfold it if they were being rescued from the Frigid atlantic drink, at least thats how I would have worn mine anyway. this is a good thread in my opinion!

I would like to see some more photographs if you please!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21