Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WWII Airshow / Reenactment - PICS

MDFrench

A-List Customer
So there we were at Peachtree City Airport's Falcon Field for the Boots and Wings WWII Day. I finally had my RAF battledress uniform complete and Kathleen and I decided to spend the day at the supposed "airshow," but rain ruined that idea - so we stuck around and talked with veterans and reenactors, who put on a good skirmish later that day complete with an armored vehicle, a Willys Jeep and a German Horch! It was a great experience and the best way to spend a few hours before the evening's 1940s Swing Dance.

We received some funny comments during the day. Kathleen was looking splendid in her A-2 Wasp Jacket and Khaki aviator's cap and the best quote from one dad to his kindergarten-age son was, "Look, it's an RAF pilot...and Amelia Earhart."

I encountered two veteran RAF pilots, one a Mosquito flyboy and the other a Beaufighter and Wellington pilot. Capitol fellows, the both of them! They even gave us some great tea towels as souvenirs. I was one of only three RAF "reenactors" to show up - technically one of only two as one was WAAF. They had on hand a navy trainer, one of the three airworthy SBD Dauntless dive bombers left, two Japanese jobies (one a modified T-6 from Tora Tora Tora) and my personal favorite, an RAF Expeditor. They even had a Sperry ball turret on display - automated display.

While Kathleen was picking out a muffin, I was summarily accosted by a German in Afrika Corps togs with a Panzershreck who pulled his Walther sidearm upon seeing me and told me to get my hands up in German. He almost made me part of the reenactment battle later that day! Anyway, he frisked my holster and asked me where my own sidearm was - I quickly told him my Spitfire canopy was stuck and I had to shoot my way out of my falling aeroplane - I lost it in the jump, I said. He laughed.

Anyway, a great time and here's some photos of the RAF Expeditor and an American pilot who joined the RAF that you might recognize. Oh, please strain your eyes in the second photo to see the tops of my RAF flying boots (early 30s pattern, black leather jobs) I did have the proper and cool footwear and I want everyone to know that!

IMG_1940-600x450.jpg

IMG_1943-600x450.jpg

Tony in Tarzana

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Great pics and great stories! Next airshow I go to, I'll be sure to dress appropriately and carry a digital camera.

I'll be dressed as a civilian, though. The only military uniform that would fit me would be one of Hermann G??ring's. :eek:

J.B.Saxon

Familiar Face
I bet you both had a great day! Outstanding pictures - I love that way of showing ones impression. Do you have some more to share with us? Would like to see Kathleen in her WASP jacket, please.
I also will dress up for the next air show and take some pics for ya´ll.

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Creepy

MDFrench said:
..... I was summarily accosted by a German in Afrika Corps togs with a Panzershreck who pulled his Walther sidearm upon seeing me and told me to get my hands up in German.

I guess you'd have to be there to see how it went down, but NO one should pull any gun on ANYONE. If someone did it to me at an airshow, they would have something pointed right back at them for REAL.

We had our 4th of July parade, and I rode in a WWII Ford Jeep. There were reenactors, with M1 Garands, and Carbines. They didn't point their weapons at anyone.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Andykev said:
I guess you'd have to be there to see how it went down, but NO one should pull any gun on ANYONE. If someone did it to me at an airshow, they would have something pointed right back at them for REAL.

We had our 4th of July parade, and I rode in a WWII Ford Jeep. There were reenactors, with M1 Garands, and Carbines. They didn't point their weapons at anyone.

Would have been better had he pointed his panzershreck at our RAF friend instead of a Walther. lol
But I'm sure no harm was done, although it isn't exactly a good idea to point anything that resembles a functional weapon at anyone, anywhere, or at any time. I wouldn't even feel right carrying anything that resembled a weapon in today's world, unless I had a real use for it of course.

priestyboy

One of the Regulars
Good to see

Good to see you made a positive out of the rainy day. We were really disappointed in the wave after wave of rain. You should have seen us behind the scenes panicing that everybody would leave.

It worked out okay and was a marginal success.

As we said in the Dixie Wing that day, oh well there's next year...and/or Reading!

Great pictures!

Vladimir Berkov

One Too Many
Pulling the gun on you was bad form, considering at an airshow you have no clue if the thing is loaded or not. Maybe he just thought you were some sort of reenactor doing part of the public battle and thus knew the "rules" saying that all the weapons would safety-checked for blanks, etc.

Airshows and public battles always seem to bring out the worst "reenactors" it seems. I was at such an event a couple weeks ago and was appalled at the stupidity of some of the other German units.

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
MD, great gear! It looks really good, and spot on! It sounds like a good time despite the rain. Well, I guess it rained a lot in southern England, too, so just an added bit of realism.

And more photos would be awesome! Of you and your wife, of course, but most of all, the airplanes. :p

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
My point about pointing

Don't get me wrong. I think reenactors and participants at such events, involving gun pointing is fine as long as everyone is on the same page, is part of the show, and the crowd knows what is up.

Just 'cause an attendee at an airshow, or whatever, is dressed the part to "slip into the role" and enjoy the exerience.....shouldn't have some perfect stranger whip out his pistol......

Again, I prefaced it with "you might have had to be there" to see how it went down..but.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GilbertHit