Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WWII Army Field Jackets

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
Here's a question for the WWII jacket collectors; What can I expect to pay for a vintage army field jacket in wearable condition and what features do I need to look for to make sure it's a genuine article? Right now there are a number of dated field jackets available for auction and the usual going price doesn't seem too bad. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks for reading this. Cheers! Sefton

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
Well,one of the ones that I'm looking at is dated 1943 and the other is 1944. Size is listed as 36 L, although the measurements seem to indicate that they run large. I normally wear a size 38 jacket so I'm hoping that 36 will fit. Is there a particular year where the jackets are more collectable and would it be because of design of jacket or purely historical events? thanks!

edit: No, not the Ike jacket. It's the long jacket with two upper chest and two lower pockets.
Like this one except the lower pockets are a slightly different:
wwiifieldjacketwk7.jpg

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
Just as an aside to this; I was thinking about when I was 10 years old in 1975 my father used to take me to the Army surplus stores in San Francisco and I would get field jackets (Korean war) and helmets,belts,etc. for cheap. They had tons of great items then. Now it's all gone to ebay...see,I just found something good about the '70s.:) Maybe I should post this to Doran's anti-70s thread...;)

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Like MrBern said, they are still out there and can be pretty cheap. Most I've seen are smaller, though it always depends on where you look. I have two originals and I love 'em. Earlier production M43s are usually more desirable depending on condition.

And you are correct, a 36L should fit you, a 38. M43s were meant to be worn over multiple layers as well as a detachable alpaca liner. Both of my M43s are 38s and fit me, a 40, just fine.

OFAS usually has a good selection of them but they can go pretty high.

Here's one of them with a Marine HBT shirt:
DSCF1010-1.jpg

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
BTW, ATF does make a repro.
Probably preferrable if you wear a hard to find size...like anything over 40.
There's a nice little description on why the M43 wasnt widely distributed til later in the war.

http://www.atthefront.com/us_uni_M43Field_Uniform.htm

US Army
M1943 Field Jacket and Trouser
The M1943 Field Uniform was the result of several years of experimentation and development by the US Army Quartermaster. It replaced the completely inadequate M1941 Field Jacket (which was more suited to a day on the golf course than combat in the ETO.) It consisted of a 4 pocket jacket and matching trousers made from windproof sateen cotton. The uniform was designed as a layered system, meant to be worn over the wool shirt and trouser and in conjunction with a wool sweater and liners in colder weather. The uniform was first issued to elements of the 3rd Infantry Division fighting at Anzio in Italy in February/ March 1944 for field testing. Despite the high praise the jacket received from those who wore it, General Omar Bradley considered unsightly and inferior to the wool overcoat. Resistance by Bradley and other commanders in the ETO resulted in the uniform not being issued until shortages of all field jackets finally forced them to relent in the Fall of 1944. The supply situation for clothing for troops already in the ETO was described as "critical" and "very critical" until the end of January 1945. (Shipments of ammunition, fuel and food took precedence over clothing). Thus, troops fighting at Aachen, Hurtgen and the Battle of the Bulge will be seen wearing a mix of M41's, Tankers, M1943's and wool overcoats. The exceptions to this were the 101st and 82nd Airborne Divisions who were almost entirely re-equipped with the uniform just prior to operation "Market Garden" and troops in new units coming from the US. By February 1945, most troops in the ETO had finally been re-equipped with the new uniforms.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
M-43 Jacket.

The earlier ones are slightly more valuable/expensive(khaki lining?).
Look for a wartime date though, if you want a wartime example-
they were made postwar.

A s36 should fit a s38 because the M-43 jacket was made to fit over an insulated liner, or inner, so they were a little oversized.
I used to wear a 38 and I'm a 42.

Don't get a ladies model by mistake- chest pocket flaps but no pockets!

B
T

jeep44

One of the Regulars
Another confirmation that a 36 should fit a 38. As stated, they were intended for layering. Depending on the condition, the tag inside one of the lower pockets may still be readable, and will allow you to date it . I can't remember the particulars, but someplace out there on the web is a description of the changes made on each revision of the original design, when the changes were made,and so forth.

The original jackets were very glossy-often seen in photos of troops wearing just-issued coats. I was lucky to find a barely-worn sz42 in an antique store a number of years back that still retained this shiny finish. A few washings, and it is gone.

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
Thanks to all of you for the information. It turns out that I didn't win either of the WWII jackets. I did win a Korean War field jacket dated 1951 that looks to still have the shine to it. It should be here sometime this week. Wearing that with my usual heavy black eyeglasses I will prepare myself for the "you know you look like Woody Allen" comments...:rolleyes:

When it arrives I'll post some pictures. I may still try to get one of the WWII era ones also as I like the option of front buttons instead of zipper.BTW,the seller is throwing in a vintage pair of Army trousers that won't fit me so I'll put them up in the classifieds if anyone is interested. About a 27" waist and I can't go smaller than 31".

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Sefton, sounds like you got an M51 field jacket. Like you said, it has a zipper but other than that is the same as an M43. After the M51 came the M65 that was used in the Vietman War. The lineage these can easily be traced back to the M43. Enjoy your jacket, hope you can find a WW2-dated one.

Sam_Marlow, the Ikes didn't run large since they were originally meant to be worn in combat underneath the M43, though few if any were actually used in this way.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
ikes in the field

Actually, there are quartermaster reports that complained about GIs who were rendering the ike useless for fielding. Tailoring the jkt to fit as snug as possible. So they couldnt layer it w/ winter underwear & sweaters.
They preferred to just wear two sweaters & save the ike jkt for dances.

So its not uncommon to ike jkts that are a bit smaller than the labelled size tag.

Oh, go to this thread to see an example of an M43 cut down to an Ike Style:
CutDownJacketThread

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
There are also Dutch post-war jackets that are exact copies of the M43 but these are getting harder to find since reenactors like to use them.

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
BellyTank said:
The closest "non-original/non-repro" to a US M-43 is an older Norwegian field jacket-

M-43s were probably still made in 1951(?) I think so- M-51s will be later dated.
Should be way-post war M-43s without zipper front.

B
T

BellyTank's right, the Norwegian jacket is the closest, not the Dutch. My mistake, I was thinking of Dutch M-1 helmets. :eusa_doh:

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
BellyTank said:
The closest "non-original/non-repro" to a US M-43 is an older Norwegian field jacket-
B
T

AGREE!
I have one. They were still in use til th late `90s. Fabulous jkts.
The trousers are very nice too, tho they sometimes have reinforcemnts which altho helpful, are not `40s correct.
Far better than buying repros. They are solid garments.

I have a Norwegian pal who told me of being deployed in `80s Libya where the US troops were quite amused to see Norwegian troops outfitted like JohnWayne.

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
My Korean war field jacket fits and looks good but I just couldn't resist trying to snag one of the WWII era ones. I like the notched lapel and having buttons rather than zippers on a jacket anyway. Less expensive to replace (as I'm finding out now with my A-2!). I should know in a few days if I'm the owner of a 1940s model. "Luck be a lady (three days from now)!";).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Antonio925