Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WWII Aviator Sunglasses

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
This thread was one of the first started by me when I joined the Fedora Lounge. This first post contained an eBay auction photograph, the auction prose, and an email exchange between me and the eBay seller about a pair of AAF sunglasses that sold for $154 on eBay. At the seller's request (Grifter) I have taken down the photo and description.

The Wingnut

One Too Many
The Wingnut made the following comments about the eBay price/value:

Not worth $154. $75, maybe. You can get brand new AO 'General' sunglasses that are correct to the original patterns - more so than any current offering from Ray-Ban - for around $55 if you do some decent shopping. If you're a collector with everything, yeah, the super rare stuff is a good addition, if you just want a nice example, get the stuff that's easier to get a hold of. I gave up on getting an A-4 flight suit after I found a nice AN-S-31 that fit well. (actually, I have an A-4, but it's tiny on me. I tossed it in a drawer in hopes that someday the right size WAC might latch onto me)

Nice to see someone else who gives the 56th and their Jugs some much-needed attention. Too many Mustang fans out there...I don't see the attraction of a combat aircraft that can be taken down with a single pinhole. ;)

Kay O'Hara

New in Town
Just thought I'd share this image..... these are the glasses our Canadian Aviators wore in 1944.... these in particular, worn by my Uncle Ken....

kens_glasses.jpg

Kay oxxo

Kay O'Hara

New in Town
Indeed I will...... they sit proudly on my family shelf.... in great company with my Grampa's medals from WWII :)

Kay xoxo

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
Spectacular pair of glasses, Kay!

Thanks for sharing. Just purchased a great set of RAF ribbons today on eBay. I think they were quite a steal at $11.50. Wish I had the BIG bucks for an RAF uniform! Got to love those American flyboys who went north of the border to join up with the RCAF. They were brave lads!

Baggers

Practically Family
Hey, Grifter, welcome to the Lounge! And, may I compliment you on the warm and engaging tone with which you introduced yourself to us. :rolleyes:

I'm looking forward to more of your witty and incisive commentary!

Cheers!

Robert C

New in Town
Willsonite Sunglasses

Willsonite made sunglasses for the USN during WWII. Have seen photos of USAAF personnel wearing them too. They had green lenses and acetate/celluliod frames. I picked up a pair on Ebay a few months back. Every now and then you can run across a pair of them on Ebay.

I can post a photo of them if you're interested...

Robert C

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
I don't have my camera at present but I'll takes ome pic's of few sunglasses when I am able.

Some of the 'issued' sunglasses weren't so great- AO and B&L(RayBan)were definitely the better made examples- frames and optics. I have a pair of pressed, anodized, 'issue' sunglasses, which are not very good quality.

Remember- many servicemen/officers/pilots liked to procure their own sunglasses.

Speaking of the Wilsonite glasses- I have seen some late-war USN sunglasses, which have a plastic frame and look a little more modern than mid '40s.
A guy was selling them on eBay for a while a good few years ago.

B
T

Grifter

New in Town
Robert C said:
Willsonite made sunglasses for the USN during WWII. Have seen photos of USAAF personnel wearing them too. They had green lenses and acetate/celluliod frames. I picked up a pair on Ebay a few months back. Every now and then you can run across a pair of them on Ebay.

I can post a photo of them if you're interested...

Robert C
Yes Willson did have a contract with the Navy, have several pair and have sold several pair on E-bay under the name LUFTGANGSTERS. But did you know that The Chas. Fischer Spring Co. (Makers of AN-6530 Goggles) also had a government contract to make aviator sunglasses and AN6531 lenses?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24