Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WWII Beacon Aero Leather B3?

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Found this pic in my archive. It was my first B3 and has a few repairs etc. the arm reinforcing panels come much lower than most popular designs and the side straps are of a thinner width. I can remember if these straps were replacements but the label was an Aero and did not look like it had been replaced.
Other details and repairs are: Behind left sleeve, a banana shaped patch covering a dark stained split. Rank tabs cut off, stubs remained at shoulder. Panel inserted to widen jacket and a non original(American style, puller on right side) zip is in place. Thin straps at the collar too.
I don't have it now, sold it years ago but saw someone wearing it a while back.
Any comments?

SCAN0068_zps40217e08.jpg

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The straps are original to the jacket and were a feature of Aero's last contract for B-3s, dating to 1943. The contract is 43-13616 AF.

Siggmund

One of the Regulars
It's a beautiful old jacket with well-preserved leather. No apparent cracking, peeling or leather failure as seems so common in American hides. If I am perceiving it correctly, the improvised size enlargement looks competently done and doesn't detract from the aesthetics of the design, imho.
Do you still collect B-3's as well as Irvins, Andrew?
John

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
It's a beautiful old jacket with well-preserved leather. No apparent cracking, peeling or leather failure as seems so common in American hides. If I am perceiving it correctly, the improvised size enlargement looks competently done and doesn't detract from the aesthetics of the design, imho.
Do you still collect B-3's as well as Irvins, Andrew?
John

I no longer collect original B-3s, only reproductions which I can wear without worrying about them ripping.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
I no longer collect original B-3s, only reproductions which I can wear without worrying about them ripping.

One of the main reasons I stopped collecting old sheepskins too. Irvin's always appear to outlast American fleeces which makes me wonder.
All those claims that the repro jackets are made using 100% authentic WWII tanning methods. Does that mean they will fall to bits in 70 years time? I think we now know that some of the chemicals used in the original process are probably on the banned list.

HPA Rep

Vendor
One of the main reasons I stopped collecting old sheepskins too. Irvin's always appear to outlast American fleeces which makes me wonder.
All those claims that the repro jackets are made using 100% authentic WWII tanning methods. Does that mean they will fall to bits in 70 years time? I think we now know that some of the chemicals used in the original process are probably on the banned list.

The sheepskin of the U. S. Army & USN didn't really present any significant problems (in terms of fragility) until the vast purchases that commenced in 1942. Problems manifested themselves at the time and investigations were enacted; the skins were problematic then and didn't take decades to become bad, though time and improper storage didn't help. There were three major factors contributing to the fragility of the skins: a change in the tanning process to hasten production (a specific chemical treatment that had been a separate process prior to 1942 was incorporated in the tanning process), a dearth of knowledgable inspectors who could discern good from bad, and a deliberate dumping by crooked contractors on the government of low-grade skins that would fail inspection if well-trained inspectors had been available in sufficient quantity. There were some other factors, but these three I cite were the major culprits responsible for the production and acceptance of fragile skins.

The unfinished skins (off-white), the "redskins," and those skins produced early in 1942 (especially those displaying the cross-checking indentation pattern of the drying racks in the skins themselves) were and remain quite solid, for the most part; garments made of these are usually safe investments for collecting, though I personally maintain that no serious preservationist should ever wear any of these items.

Repro garments can only get so close no matter how dedicated the efforts and no matter how much money someone wants to invest in making them as faithfully as possible, so it is absolutely true that many of the chemicals used both to tan and dye leather during WWII are now banned in most of the world, but the chemicals themselves didn't produce fragile sheepskins.

HPA Rep

Vendor
Found this pic in my archive. It was my first B3 and has a few repairs etc. the arm reinforcing panels come much lower than most popular designs and the side straps are of a thinner width. I can remember if these straps were replacements but the label was an Aero and did not look like it had been replaced.
Other details and repairs are: Behind left sleeve, a banana shaped patch covering a dark stained split. Rank tabs cut off, stubs remained at shoulder. Panel inserted to widen jacket and a non original(American style, puller on right side) zip is in place. Thin straps at the collar too.
I don't have it now, sold it years ago but saw someone wearing it a while back.
Any comments?

This represents that last modification to the original B-3 design, which is reflected in improvements and conservation measures that include the smaller belt adjusters and buckles on the hips that sit higher up on the body than on earlier B-3's and the smaller reinforcing facings on the sleeves. As previously mentioned by Andrew, these features are noteworthy to Aero's last B-3 contract, an example of which can be readily spotted in the classic film "Tora, Tora, Tora" from 1970, as worn by one of the aircrew in a B-17 inbound to Hawaii from the mainland. Though truly nice to see a vintage B-3 in a film vs. a cheesy studio design, it was not the correct B-3 type available on Dec. 7, 1941, but few, if any, possessed that level of detailed knowledge at the time of filming; I certainly didn't know it was erroneous for at least another 15 years.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
As previously mentioned by Andrew, these features are noteworthy to Aero's last B-3 contract, an example of which can be readily spotted in the classic film "Tora, Tora, Tora" from 1970, as worn by one of the aircrew in a B-17 inbound to Hawaii from the mainland. Though truly nice to see a vintage B-3 in a film vs. a cheesy studio design, it was not the correct B-3 type available on Dec. 7, 1941, but few, if any, possessed that level of detailed knowledge at the time of filming; I certainly didn't know it was erroneous for at least another 15 years.

I shall look for that next time it is on.
It is only since these forums and websites have emerged that folks allow simple oversights to spoil films they previously enjoyed. A good story will hold up against the odd wardrobe faux pas as long as it does not detract too much from the story.
So films such as Memphis Belle(the remake), Red Tails, Tora Tora, and even 12 O'clock High come across as enjoyable. What does spoil films is the increasing use of computer generated graphics and imaging which made 'Pearl Harbour' such an awful case with it's Star Wars like P40 aerobatics. OK for video games but for what could have been such an important film?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vladyslav