Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WWII Boots - Service, Jump, etc.

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
DiabolicalAngel said:
Nice boots Caledonia ! I have the gentlemans version and mine are called the 'Gentlemans's Field Boot', not strictly WWII but a mighty fine boot which gets regular use for riding and when I go on my safaris. I haven't seen these availible anywhere else since purchasing them about six years ago.

I last used them for riding around the Great Pyramids in Egypt, so excuse the dust and sand still on them !

Diabolical Angel, those are great boots! What's even better is the hear how you are using them! For those of you loving DA's boots, they have them at WPG, and at MotorCowboy.

And thanks for the compliments, Caledonia and Paddy! But, Paddy, I've seen your website. Style you have plenty of, my friend.

I actually got my boots though e-bay. My one and only really great deal, and they fit perfectly.

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Lawrance Ordnance Boots

Here's a great option for boots that I've been considering, too. Lawrance Ordnance has replica WWI boots and leather leggings or puttees that look spectacular. They're a natural light colored leather, which for most folks would probably mean you'd have to darken them a bit, but the combination of a low boot plus the leggings really gives some options for a variety of uniforms and period outfits.

Has anybody picked up either of these? I'm really curious as to how durable they would be, but I don't really have the spare cash to invest right now. Someday. Ah, someday.

I also want a pair of those suspenders!

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Jack...a favour please...(just putting the boot in here!)

Could you take photos of those boots please, eg: front, back, sides, soles and any close up details on laces, buckles, etc...please. I'd really appreciate that as it would make a great vintage reference for anyone wanting a boot maker to recreate a vintage inter-war period boot. Thanks in advance!!

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
This just in...

Got a chance to check out THESE shoes at the WWII Weekend in Reading, PA. The vendor is The Old Grouch Military Surplus.

THE PRICE IS: $89.50!!!

yhst-40864295455031_1898_579585

From his Web Site:

"Excellent reproduction of the Army roughout service shoes or "boondockers". The biggest difference in these is that the factory sends the wrong color laces, so I am including a set of NOS original laces with them. Great for reenacting or displays!"

These looked IDENTICAL to the originals he had on display in his booth. Current sizes listed on his site are 7, 9, 10, 12. Sadly, I am a 13 or would have bought a pair on the spot. He says that other sizes should be in within a month or so. He has these made "in Europe." (Eastern Europe, I presume?)

http://www.oldgrouch.com

ZF

DiabolicalAngel

One of the Regulars
Jack- nice boots, just seen your pic, for some reason no pics were coming up on my computer for the whole weekend. Very suave there old chap !

Zemke - what a bargin, have seen this chap sell them on ebay, what they like, good??

Cheers,

Roy ;)

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Darn Fred, why do this to me?

You just keep tempting me when I don't need tempting!!! Aaaaagh!!! Boondockers or Not Boondockers...that is the question..!!! Could I get away with them when in my USAAF kit? (please say NO)

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
Sadly, partner...

... the answer is yes. Whatever worked for the regular US Army forces also worked for the USAAF boys as well. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news! Will let you know how these work out as soon as the 13s are back in stock. OR, perhaps YOU will be the guinea pig (so to speak ;) ).

ZF

Caledonia

Practically Family
BellyTank said:
Those are late war Officers Boots- often mis-ID'ed as Dispatch Rider's boots.
I like them too- Want them...

B
T
Thanks for confirming that. I thought so, but wasn't totally sure. :)

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
PADDY said:
Could you take photos of those boots please, eg: front, back, sides, soles and any close up details on laces, buckles, etc...please. I'd really appreciate that as it would make a great vintage reference for anyone wanting a boot maker to recreate a vintage inter-war period boot. Thanks in advance!!

Sure, Paddy! More than happy to! It may take me a bit; the wife has the digital in Connecticut, but I'll put those up as soon as I can.

Baggers

Practically Family
Mojave, I have the Lawrance Ordnance boots. They're nicely made without any heel or toe irons and fit my size 12s quite well. I almost bought the leggings, but after a bit of questioning, I found out that the original they used to pattern them was a bit on the short side and was afraid that they might not be tall enough for my calves. I'm 5' 10" with a trouser inseam of 32", so be advised.

I also have russet service shoes from At The Front and roughouts from WWII Impressions, and can recommend both highly, although the service shoes will probably have to be bought one size smaller than what you normally wear. I first bought the 12s, and they're quite loose. I just bought another pair from them in size 11 and they fit perfectly. (anyone think they can wear my 12s? they're only lightly used and I'll make someone a good deal on them)

I'm also looking at WPG's cavalry boots, but I'm hesitating because I really want the "Patton" style boots he has in the works. That brass hardware completes the look!

Cheers!

desertweasel

New in Town
RAF flying boots

Just to clarify:

The 36 Pat. boots were superceded by the 39 pattern which had the green canvas uppers. These tended to absorb lots of morning dew which would then freeze at altitude making them unpopular with aircrew...

The 40/41 pattern were the brown suede boots, the 41 having a leather cinch strap around the ankle to tighten these rather loose fitting (but very comfortable) boots to the wearer and stop them from flying off the feet when your chute opened.

Speaking of downed aircrew, flying boots don't blend in well so the 43 pattern (the so-called 'escape boot') had a black suede, sheepskin lined upper attached to a oxford style shoe. The right boot had an inner pocket where a small folding knife was carried. The knife could be used to cut off the uppers leaving a pair of civilian looking shoes (to help disguise evaders)... too bad the shoe was lined with sheepskin - sweaty walking in mid-summer - and they still stood out like sore thumbs since they usually were in far better shape than the average civilian's shoes were near the end of the war.

Prairie Shade

A-List Customer
Dehner Co - Omaha NE

Believe it or not, a family biz for decades and maker of some of the finest riding boots and custom shoes to be found in the US (IMHO).. I have actually been a collector for 30 years and have 3 pairs custom made for me. My first pair was the 3 buckle field boots (180.00-1976) and now they go for around 6-800.00. All mine are brown naturally, and they ARE made exactly the way they were during the old horse cavalry days. Quality - quality - quality, price to go along with it. Also have the officers jodphurs, low quarters, etc etc. Give'em a Google and see what you think. Just an alternative if you want your own custom made :)

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
ATF on e-bay

I just picked up a pair of these that ATF had on their e-bay auctions site. Got them for 20 clams less then their site.
us_boot_serv_shoe_main.jpg

I'll let y'all know what I think once they arive.

Cheers!

Dan

Sam Cox

Familiar Face
>> Broken Photo Link <<

some of my second show cavalry boots
yes these are everyday knock around originals

Sam

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Well I got my ATF service shoes. I like them right out of the box. Good fit & feel. The leather is a tad stiff, but I'm sure they will break-in in due time. They feel fairly solid & indestructable yet weigh no more than my Banana Republic suede wingtips. Plus they look a lot dressier than my work boots could in the office. All in all a good purchase.

Cheers!

Dan

BigSleep

One of the Regulars
I just got the same shoes as DanielJones. Russet ankle boots from At the Front.

I love them!

I did a strip and polish job on them and they are now a deeper brown than they come from the factory.

I wear them all the time. I ride a motorcycle everyday and they are great for this kind of service.

Oh yeah and they have a cool vintage look too.

cowboy76

Suspended
SamMarlowPI said:
these are the WWII paratrooper jump boots right?
http://www.d-daykleding.nl/webshop/images/boots.jpg

but what kind of boots did the regular infantry wear, like the Rangers? M1943s?
what kind in Vietnam? don't worry i'm not being lazy, i am researching as i ask this...:)

As far as Vietnam, standard issue there were what was known as "Jungle Boots". See the link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jungle_boot

In the early parts of WWII you were issued what was called and known as "rough out" boots, this lasted up untill 1943, but many did not see actual use right away as supply was slow to get to the troops, most guys just kept their roughout boots, it was impractical to try and re-outfit with new boots plus it was not efficient. You were issued these with a set of leggings.
See link for exapmle (these are newly made from WWII Impressions, very well amde boot!!):
http://www.wwiiimpressions.com/images/200126profile.JPG

Then they came out with what was known as "Double Buckle Boots". (you already know these).

** Note, you also had what ws known as the Army "Service Russet Shoe" which was a short version of the paratrooper boots basically. these were primarily seen stateside in training boot camps,....they did see minimal use in the field early on as I remember being told.

The Marine Corps wore what was known as the "Boondocker" boot. Simiar to the roughout boot, but there ARE differences!!! (see pic)
http://www.wwiiimpressions.com/images/boondocker.JPG
As with the Army, you also had a cap-toed Marine Corps Service shoe (issued & used 1910-1940, yes these did see combat in the early part of the pacific theater!), which was dark cardovan color and also was different from the Army.

Here is a good site for reference material dealing specifically with WWII combat boots:
http://www.olive-drab.com/od_soldiers_clothing_combat_ww2_combatboots.php

Research is NEVER lazyness,....!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy