Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WWII era US Navy Pea Coat size 44

pgoat

One Too Many
This is a World War II era mens US Navy issue pea coat. It is in fantastic shape, in a very hard to find larger size. There is no label for manufacturer or sizing but I have another Pea Coat for sale here which is labeled 44R and it fits identically. This one is a 4-button double breasted model typical of this era.

01212_70aetJ8IM8E_1200x900.jpg

More photos here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/44195255@N04/albums/72157686489667050

I am 5'8" and weigh 175 pounds, and normally take a 40-42 suit, and a medium in shirts and jackets, etc. The coat is definitely a bit long in the body and sleeves on me, with more than ample room in the chest and shoulders for a sport coat or my thickest sweaters underneath; I finally grabbed a few size 42 coats from this era and decided they fit me much better. I would recommend this for someone 5'10-6' who takes a 44-46 jacket. It could be a very roomy "Large" or a fitted XL.

CHEST: 48"
SHOULDERS: 21.5"
LENGTH w/ Collar: 33.5"
Sleeves: 25.25"

If you know vintage pea coats you are aware that the older wool (Vietnam era and earlier) was a "Kersey" Blue - this is a very dark but beautiful sapphire blue, not the very blackish wool of later coats. The main photo shows the coat using a flash, to showcase the very fine condition; it does NOT look light grey like that in person! The pocket photo is closer but you need to see the coat outdoors in natural light to appreciate the gorgeous deep blue.

The older coats were much better tailored - higher arm holes, and a more tapered waist for a more fitted look. The newer black wool coats are straighter and baggier by comparison.

This one is very well preserved; the lining is in great shape; it has one blemish, a small dime sized hole (see photo) where I believe a spare button may have been attached at one point. There are a few other areas of minor fraying (at the collar by the hook hang loop, at the cuff inner edges) or seams that need a few small stitches (inside the rear vent flap) but overall, this coat is in amazingly good shape.

The two side hand warmer pockets still have their ivory colored cotton corduroy lining, in excellent shape. The collar still has its two rear buttons and wool flap to fasten the collar shut when turned up against the bitter cold and wet.

I'm looking for $250 for this fine vintage piece.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner