Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WWII RCAF E-1 Flight Jacket

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I just scored my first original WWII flight jacket, a 1943 dated Royal Canadian Air Force type E-1 Flying Suit, made by "Deacon" I haven't been able to find much information on it. According to the listing, the reverse of the liner is sheepskin. I like the cutaway, and the diagonal zipper.

d744_1.jpg

d804_1.jpg

d8c1_1.jpg

d9aa_1.jpg

daa6_1.jpg

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
The same seller also sold this one, several weeks ago, which is very similar, though it looks like it might be slightly later (though they're both dated 1943). Or it could just be that it's a different manufacturer.
122d_3.jpg

132f_3.jpg

1646_3.jpg

1750_3.jpg

181e_3.jpg

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I'm not sure if it was issue- I looked at old RCAF pictures, and there were a few shots with people wearing what looked to be the complete suit of this, but with the life vest over it, it was difficult to tell. Most look like they're wearing either just battle-dress jackets or there's a handful wearing irvins. There aren't the same resources for RCAF gear as there are for USAAF or RAF. Deacon did make issue flight gear during the war. Pics of the zips will follow whenever it shows up, which could be a while.

Nighthawk

One of the Regulars
From the book 'Canadian Forces in World War 2'
By Rene Chartrand, Ronald Volstad
Illustrated by Ronald Volstad
Published by Osprey Publishing, 2001
ISBN 1841763020, 9781841763026
48 pages

I think a lot of RCAF gear was similar to RAF gear.

2975864130066389805S600x600Q85.jpg

NH

Dudleydoright

A-List Customer
parasuits

Dinerman said:
I'm not sure if it was issue- I looked at old RCAF pictures, and there were a few shots with people wearing what looked to be the complete suit of this, but with the life vest over it, it was difficult to tell. Most look like they're wearing either just battle-dress jackets or there's a handful wearing irvins. There aren't the same resources for RCAF gear as there are for USAAF or RAF. Deacon did make issue flight gear during the war. Pics of the zips will follow whenever it shows up, which could be a while.

You're not getting confused with the Irvin Parasuit are you ? That was a really complicatd piece of hit that was like a pair of coveralls with the arms and legs removed, with a pair of full length zippers and had the parachute harness and mae west incorporated into it.
harnessuit01.jpg

harnessuit02.jpg

DDR

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I got the coat today. More pictures to follow, but I'll tell you this much, this is one warm coat.

Bellytank- here you go. Zippers. They're all over the place, on the pockets, on the collar, on the hood, the main diagonal one. All Dot.
IMG_2807.jpg

This one's different, smaller. It's on the yellow hood, which rolls up and goes inside the collar
IMG_2808.jpg

H.Johnson

One Too Many
Yeh, Ain't it!

That's a wartime 'indestructable' single trunnion slider (like some other flying gear) with civilian-type pullers. I like Canadian zippers - their Lightnings are cool, too.

We know there is a connection between Talon and Lightning (through Sundberg) - I wonder of there is a Dot connection, too?

H.Johnson

One Too Many
Why (or how) do you differentiate between military and civilian in terms of WW2 uniform and flying gear?

Most officers bought their dress uniforms (and even SD uniforms) by private purchase from their favourite tailor. Many 'Irvin' suits were private purchase, too (the company made civilian versions before the RAF adopted them and kept on throughout the war to maintain their rights) and 'prestige suits' were also civilian wear adapted to military use.

So, there isn't a clear 'boundary' between military and civilian wear. As it doesn't bear any of the usual military markings you could say it's a civilian item, but I'd bet that it was used by a RCAF serviceman.

devilish

A-List Customer
That is a very cool looking jacket. It really looks like something Mister Freedom would make. Especially with that curved cutaway hem line and the pinched in waist.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
From what little I know the RCAF was during the war more or less equipped the same as the RAF, so if I had to make a bet I'd bet that Dinerman's coat was private purchase. Deacon probably made up a bunch of them to flog to officers, some of whom bought them for their own use. It's an awesome coat and I think there's probably a bunch of hipster stores in NYC which would love to use that as a pattern. It reminds me of an H&M fashion trenchcoat I have which shares many details.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
This pattern was made by several different manufacturers during the war. Different manufacturer labels of course, but all with the "Type E-1" label.

Here are the matching pants, "Type E-4" made by Holden, but with a Deacon made "Type E-3" liner.
http://www.germanmilitaria.com/OtherNations/photos/C012368.html

Here's another set, also a combination of Holden and Deacon
http://www.germanmilitaria.com/othernations/photos/C074368.html

One piece Deacon flight suit
http://www.woodstockmuseum.ca/index.php?option=com_mtree&task=viewlink&link_id=14737&Itemid=138

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eltqt