Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WWII Reenactment Pics

Davep

One of the Regulars
PICT0339.JPG

http://picasaweb.google.com/2ndReconManchus/InfantryPhotos#5275828290065226258
What sort of boots is the guy wearing who is sitting down in the back?lol

DutchIndo

A-List Customer
Cool photo's, the Granada is similar to the Fox Theater here in Fullerton. Since you're a local you no doubt passed by it, its on Chapman I think. I had a boss who grew up in Fullerton who went there often. He remembers a lake where the overpass is. He went to Fullerton High and remembers competition against Garden Grove, Huntington Beach High School. (These "City" schools now have 6-7 newer schools in their cities). Back then Schools had to travel to other cities to compete. My boss got up to 11th grade and "was marching down in San Diego" to join the Coast Guard. He finished High School after the war. Fullerton years ago was going to tear down the Fox Theater. It was saved by the locals I hope it still there. Re-enactment photos are always cool. I recognize a couple old faces in your unit.

JennyLou

Practically Family
DutchIndo said:
Cool photo's, the Granada is similar to the Fox Theater here in Fullerton. Since you're a local you no doubt passed by it, its on Chapman I think. I had a boss who grew up in Fullerton who went there often. He remembers a lake where the overpass is. He went to Fullerton High and remembers competition against Garden Grove, Huntington Beach High School. (These "City" schools now have 6-7 newer schools in their cities). Back then Schools had to travel to other cities to compete. My boss got up to 11th grade and "was marching down in San Diego" to join the Coast Guard. He finished High School after the war. Fullerton years ago was going to tear down the Fox Theater. It was saved by the locals I hope it still there. Re-enactment photos are always cool. I recognize a couple old faces in your unit.
I used to live in Fullerton and I've seen the Fox Theater. I'm glad it got saved and can't wait for it to run again.

Davep

One of the Regulars
GranadaGuy617 said:
That was the guys first battle and we didn't have boots in his size. He's shaved and has a complete impression since then trust me.

So at the next event, the shave is done, but what about the plastic sunglasses that p51 mentioned?

Also that rifle? doesn't look like a M1 Garand. What's he doing with a British Enfield.[huh]

charles.jpg

FinalVestige79

Practically Family
2nd Battle- He bought a pair of original frames from me at his first and hadn't got them back from his optometrist. The Enfield was temporary as he doesn't have his medic impression together yet...hes just starting out. Like most of us reenacting is an expensive hobby, we aren't going to penalize someone who wants to fight and has paid their unit and CHG dues over an incorrect rifle even tho he caught hell for it. Hes bought a correct rifle since then and has gotten correct eye wear. I remember someone wearing blue jeans at the last West Coast Regional in November, it was a unit leader I think...not sure. For a unit leader to be wearing jeans is much worse than this FNG with farb eye wear and rifle.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Sounds like you're helping the new guy get sorted.

Isn't that what it's all about, helping each other out with advice, suggestions..etc, to encourage and motivate and generate camaraderie. Just as 'we' members on TFL try to help by providing suggestions and answers to those who want to learn and improve and in time help others ;)

Good to see we are 'all' here to help and encourage each other in here.

Thanks gentlemen ;)

FinalVestige79

Practically Family
That is correct, 85% of our individual impression is original, but in the case of this new kid we aren't going to send him. We didn't have a loaner M1 available because certain members didn't attend that battle. At the end of the day, we assess what needs to happen with a new guy and we help him through it as much as we can. Right now he has period correct eye wear and a rifle.

What about that guy at the last West Coast Regional wearing blue jeans?

FinalVestige79

Practically Family
Thank you for that Paddy, . That is what its about!

PADDY said:
Isn't that what it's all about, helping each other out with advice, suggestions..etc, to encourage and motivate and generate camaraderie. Just as 'we' members on TFL try to help by providing suggestions and answers to those who want to learn and improve and in time help others ;)

Good to see we are 'all' here to help and encourage each other in here.

Thanks gentlemen ;)

DutchIndo

A-List Customer
I remember my first battle, it was at Big Bear in the snow. I wore an original M-43 jacket repro M-42 Jump trousers and black Corcorans. I did not have all the correct equipment because I was still learning about unifroms. Up until a few years ago I was still learning about equipment. It is nice to have new "Shooters". They will get hooked and then they will do their own research. Period Eye Wear has always been a pain in the butt along with boots. Boots are easier to get as there are some good Repros. Glasses on the other hand....How can basic round lens frames be impossible to find ?? I'm still looking. One can find a myriad of shapes but not round. As for loaner weapons I always brought a couple of Rifles. I always ended up lending one out. Maybe this will be a new SOP for their Unit. An Enfield is not unheard in the hands of an American but a Kar 98 would have looked better.

Davep

One of the Regulars
GranadaGuy617 said:
What about that guy at the last West Coast Regional wearing blue jeans?

Yeah the blue jean issue was actually a women on the back of Hans Beerbaum's motorcycle. As it turns out there weren't blues jeans.

Authenticity is a big deal to a lot of people, it's not a good idea to claim the highest standard, let alone publish one.

Authenticity comes in shades and weights, there are major non-negotiable items and then there are less important areas. Such as the trigger guard on an M1 Garand, but no so for the bayonet lug on a M1 Carbine. One is allowed the other is not. Another one is the "sole pattern" on the bottom of a pair of Roughouts.

As for glasses here is a website for vintage frames
http://www.eyeglasseswarehouse.com/20th-century-eyeglasses.html

Davep

One of the Regulars
I'm sorry that you misunderstood my comments for politics. It was not intended that way, to bad the discussion became that way. :)

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Gentlemen - this has the potential to be a 'great' thread.

And it 'can be.' ;) And I think *we all know how* now. I get the impression that you gents are into performing reenactments 'to the best' of your ability (that time, knowledge and money will allow). Certainly 'in here' you can share any knowledge, experience, tips, sources, enthusiasm..etc, etc, in a positive and constructive way.

My contribution is keeping an easy hand on the tiller here and some judicious *edits* now, to allow you all to move on and make this thread something that others can use as future reference and possibly motivate others to look into reenacting.

***NO MORE COMMENTS ON THIS PLEASE - MOVE ON ***

FinalVestige79

Practically Family
Lets...

Revive this thread with really great reenacting pictures!!

I like this one because of the natural overcast type lighting effect, that makes it look like a late war color photograph And the sense of movement going on, the M3A3 Stuart on the right being a blur...then the dust cloud and then that GI with him helmet in his hand gives an emotional sense to the picture.

PICT0441.jpg

Heres a great one:

SN150691-copy.jpg

This one...is one of my ABSOLUTE FAVORITES!!! Me at the 4th of July Parade in Santa Barbara! :D ;)

0704081614.jpg

MPicciotto

Practically Family
A comment about authenticity. I don't do battle reenactments (Nobody wants to lend me their B-25 yet...) but in our unit we do sort of a big brother deal where somebody experienced takes the noob under their wing and coaches them. We promote improvement along with authenticity. My kit is coming together thanks to one of our more seasoned members helping me a lot and to the rest of the members for keeping after the details with me. We have one guy who is an actual AAF vet. He keeps our uniforms straight. I can always count on Colonel Shawn to tell me if my uniform is at all wrong, and to straighten my collar brass as needed. And not just me. EVERYBODY! At our last show Colonel straighted out the collar brass of the guy who is my mentor! It's good to have standards. It's even better to have people who will help you meet them. Kudos to your unit in helping the new guy out with loaner rifles etc.

Matt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy