Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WWII sweaters knitted for the service man...

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Hello all,

Well I've confounded myself. I had recently found a site (by sheer accident) that was offering a reproduction of a sleeveless v-neck sweater, similar to the style made by volunteers for the U.S. service man. But I broke my own rule and didn't write the site down or save the address. I think that they were offering a limited production because the sweater was a new offering. I think that it would make a swell addition to my U.S. Officer combat kit.

Ole-Barr%20&%20Matthews.JPG

If any of you have come across this site or something similar could you please post a link? My searches have been fruitless thus far.:(

Thanks a million!

Cheers!

Dan

Josephine

One Too Many
DanielJones said:
Hello all,

Well I've confounded myself. I had recently found a site (by sheer accident) that was offering a reproduction of a sleeveless v-neck sweater, similar to the style made by volunteers for the U.S. service man. But I broke my own rule and didn't write the site down or save the address. I think that they were offering a limited production because the sweater was a new offering. I think that it would make a swell addition to my U.S. Officer combat kit.

Ole-Barr%20&%20Matthews.JPG

If any of you have come across this site or something similar could you please post a link? My searches have been fruitless thus far.:(

Thanks a million!

Cheers!

Dan

How long ago was it? Within the week? You could go to your browser and hit Ctrl+H and bring up your browser history and see if you can find the site from that.

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Dan, did you ever end up getting this sweater? It's one of the many things that I have considered ordering from AEF Supply, but as you noted last fall, it seems to be on perpetual backorder. I've tried twice now to order one of their field shave kits, and have made numerous inquiries on other items, e.g. looking for details on the sleeve length of his OD Flannel Shirt. This last time I tried to order the field shave kit and the Reprint of the 1918 Sears Military Equipment Catalog. I hadn't heard anything in over a month after the PayPal payment cleared, and then about 3 weeks later I suddenly got a refund; no explanation, no e-mail, nothing. All of my other inquiries were ignored.

I was going to order his Summer Weight Model 1912 uniform set, but after the experiences I've had I don't think I'll be ordering anything from him! Is my experience unusual, or have others had problems with Mr. Crane?

Jedburgh OSS

One of the Regulars
DON'T ORDER FROM AEF SUPPLY!!!

I, too, am in the market for one of these sweaters. I called the number on the website (which hasn't been updated for almost 3 years) and a woman answered. She gave me another number for Alan Crane which I called and have never gotten an answer, just as with emailing him. I reverse searched the two numbers, and they're quite a few miles apart in Norwich, CT. This has divorce written all over it which will wreck a privately owned and operated business faster than a speeding bullet. I was recently visiting Great War Militaria in Chambersburg, PA, and one of the employees there told me Crane has quite a few people upset with him. Here's two websites with postings by people who have dealt with him:

http://www.militaryhorse.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=63654&sid=eb4ffd46e3e401e2ad7b4472e1ef5846

http://www.greendevils.com/greendevils/Consumer/vendor_list_reviews.asp?varID=83&varERAID=7

This is really too bad since he appears to have great merchandise and, in some cases, the only one offering some items.

You can try this vendor: http://www.quartermaster.be/ After you choose your language click on "the shop" then click on "uniforms" and you'll see four choices: high neck (5 button); V-neck (long sleeve); sleeveless (straight-cut neck); and sleeveless V-neck. I met these two guys from Belgium a few years ago at the Battle of the Bulge event at Fort Indiantown Gap, PA and their sweaters are very nice. They made them for Band of Brothers and Hart's War. By the time you convert euros to dollars and pay overseas shipping you'll need to take out a second mortgage.

One more alternative: Get a copy of "Knit for Defense" off of eBay (like I did), a booklet that was put out by Red Heart yarn in WWII and find a seasoned knitter to make you one. The patterns and pictures are in this booklet, and you can find olive green wool in craft stores, knitting supply shops, and online.

zaika

One Too Many
i was going to say, Jedburgh, those sweaters look pretty basic to knit. i'm going to see if i can get the pattern off eBay and try it out. if it turns out okay, i'll post it and see if anyone wants it. ;)

Jedburgh OSS

One of the Regulars
You can get these much cheaper

Story said:
I've got three of these, the last for $19 (altho that one is more acrylic than wool, methinks). Save for the buttons, they're nearly the same as late WWII.

http://www.armedforcesmcss.us/cart.php?target=product&product_id=905&category_id=48

I've picked up many of these at surplus stores, Goodwill, Salvation Army, etc. and resold them for never more than $10. This company has got some brass selling them for that much. Their color is more brown than olive compared to the originals I have. There're several on eBay cheap for both bid and buy it now; chances are you'll be the only bidder.

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Thanks for the tips, Jedburgh. I saw several references at the Society of the Military Horse, which is one of the things that gave me pause. Too bad, because that summer weight 1912 looks pretty good. [huh]

Zaika, looks like you have a small market right here! (I would be a size 42) ;)

Jedburgh OSS

One of the Regulars
Zaika, if you do knit some acrylic is okay if it means a better color match to the original mustard green/golden olive shade. The cost would be about one third of wool, too. I've been in a few knitting supply shops around here, old houses converted into businesses, and can't find anyone interested in trying these. I even have originals (small sizes, unfortunately) for them to look at. I don't know why they're so hesitant.

zaika

One Too Many
that's weird that no one wanted to help. the yarn ladies (and gents) are helpful out here.
once i get the pattern book, i'll do some shopping and some experimenting, see what i can come up with. :)

JG

New in Town
WWII Sweaters

Hi,

I got a repro 5 button wool job from these folks:

http://www.whatpriceglory.com/usunif.htm

I have a modern version as well and repro is substantially different in the weight and colour of wool. Also the weave of the knit is quite different. Mojave's right, $44 is out of line for the modern one considering what you can find it for on other surplus sites, ebay etc.

The sweater is pretty good value for the price as I wear it constantly in the winter. It's very warm and it doesn't look so specifically military that you can't wear it out socially. The hem around the waist has a tendancy to unravel a bit though. Not really noticable and, luckily for me, my girlfriend can knit it back up for me before it gets unseemly.

These guys in Britain also have the 5 button jobs and I'm sure I've seen the sleeveless v-necks on other WWII reenactor supply websites but can't think where now.

http://www.sofmilitary.co.uk/reenactors/index.asp

Zaika, sorry if I've mangled the knitting terminology.

Cheers,

Jim

leaette

A-List Customer
i agree...the one on top is a better choice. i have that same pattern book too :)
i'm not a big knitter, i prefer crochet. but i still wanted the pattern book for my collection.

i'll admit it...i'm a yarn snob when it comes to military colors. I like a yarn that has more of a mustard OD color to it. I found some at my local yarn store. it's pricey at $20 a hank but worth it because the color is dead on. it's from new zealand, 100% wool.

zaika

One Too Many
oh good...

it's Ella Rae Classic Worsted...in color 114, Forest Heather. 100% wool

i'll keep on with this one, then! although, i'm thinking of starting over in a larger size. it's been a surprisingly fast knit!

zaika

One Too Many
aw. that looks like so much fun! thanks for the links! it's great to at least see the photos. ;)

a friend of mine is moving to PA this fall...i guess i'll just have to make a trip in june next year to visit. hehe

until then...i'll continue to knit my bit! ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner