Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WWII U.S. Uniform questions

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
I was watched the Tuskeegee Airmen, and Pearl Harbor today (the one with Ben Affleck) and noticed that the uniforms styles were all over the place. I am wondering what were the regulations back then for pinks and greens?

I saw:
pink shirt green tie green jacket.
green shirt tan tie green jacket.

There was obviously a standard. Where was the line drawn?

I do know that back then the standards were relaxed when it came to what and how they wore their uniforms (you find alot of store brand custom uniforms), hats pushed back and to the side and such. Today the US has strict rules on how a cover is worn, and they only allow Class-A uniforms from specific makers.

Tmac

New in Town
Up until Sept. 42 the authorized ties were a black silk and khaki, tied 4-in-hand. A white shirt could be worn under service dress when not in the field, at least in the 20's and 30's. In 1940 the black silk tie was changed to black worsted as an economy measure. In 09/24 the olive-drab shade 3 was the adopted as the only uniform tie. When the service coat was not worn the tie was to be tucked into the shirt between the first and third buttons.

indieflmkr

Familiar Face
Officers Uniforms and Uniformity

FYI -

There are Official variations - mainly due to numerous design chances form the 30's until just before the Vietnam war. Then there is the fact that, unlike enlisted uniforms, Officers had to buy their uniforms. As a result, they often had them made as "private purchase" items by personal tailors who incorporated a myriad of design and material changes to the regulation uniforms.

And finally -- depending on what unit or post you were assigned - there may be additional regulations. An example - when Patton was in charge of the 3rd Army - he required everyone under his command to wear a tie, even if you weren't in your class A's.

I would think that you can find copies of the Uniform regs from the National Archives or the Quartermaster museum in Philadelphia.

I hope this was helpful.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner