Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WWII US GI uniform advice requested

Badluck Brody

Practically Family
Ok I'm going to jump into a GI impression and would like both a combat uniform and also a sutable garrison uniform. If I'm correct, the Ike combo was often worn under the standard field jacket. which would allow this set...

http://onlinemilitaria.net/shopexd.asp?id=2363&bc=no

If not I would have to lean toward

http://onlinemilitaria.net/shopexd.asp?id=2528&bc=no

Any thoughts??

I would like to invest in a single set and build on. But the way typical supply runs who knows what was common!!!???

Thanks again

Teekay44

One of the Regulars
The Ike jacket was used as a dress uniform. The use of it as a layer in combat under the M43 jacket was extremely rare. The Ike was IMHO the uniform most of th GI's came home in. I believe that the 4 pocket service jacket was worn more during the war when a Class A was needed.

The wool shirt/pants was the standard combat gear in temperate climates. You see them in almost all the pictures of GI's from North Africa on to the end of the war. Those with leggings, service shoes (rough out or toe-caped), and a "41" field jacket was the standard combat wear for most GI. You can't go wrong with that for field wear.

The field jacket, no leggings (leggings were worn when on duty ie MP's), necktie and OS cap was worn for Class B. (toe-caped service shoes were worn when possible for this)

DutchIndo

A-List Customer
The "Class As" believe it or not was actually a combat uniform ! The M-41 Field Jacket replaced the "Service coat" which like the "Ike" Jacket was used for Garrison. The basic wool shirt and trousers were used for both combat and Garrison. Boots were also used in both situations but one had a good pair and a field pair. Read through WPG website he spells alot of this out. The American was the best dressed / supplied soldier in WWII. Look at the limey his gear was Basic Basic.

Badluck Brody

Practically Family
Thanks!

I'll be going with the wool then for an easy cross over from garrison to field!!

Thanks for the push in the right direction everyone!!

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Keep in mind that the Ike jkt wasnt issued til very late in the war. So if youre doing a reenactmnt that takes place in `41-43, the uniform would be anachronous.

It was also a concern by the Quartermaster that troops preferred to wear the Ike jkt out for drinks, so they usually wouldnt wear them in the field or under combat coats.

BTW, are you doing the ETO or the PTO. You could get khakis & services shoes w/ gaitors & the WWI style helmet for a PearlHarbor or Phillipine Island impression.

Badluck Brody

Practically Family
actually

I have some buddies I grew up, with who just put together a unit. I believe this will be their 2nd or 3rd year... and since loyalty is the best policy!!

Thanks for the referral!