Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

X-MEN: The Last Stand

MelissaAnne

One of the Regulars
Ack! I didn't know it opened already! I thought it was slated for July.

I can't wait to see this movie - I'm a big fan. Of course, I was a geek and read the comics in college. :rolleyes:

Feraud

Bartender
I thought it was just o.k. Not great, not horrible. I did not feel much chemistry between the characters. Certain story elements felt rehashed from earlier films.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Took my kids Saturday...

I went in with low expectations after the mixed reviews, figuring that hack director Ratner was going to blow it. But I was pleasantly surprised: it's very much of a piece with the first two films. It felt a bit rushed, and some of the story elements were a little disturbing (there's a high body count of regular characters), but it's a great popcorn flick. X-Men purists may object to some things, but I'm old enough to be more a fan of the original Lee-Kirby team, so I'm not wedded to the original Dark Phoenix storyline, etc.

There is less character development this time around, and some of the actors didn't have much to do, but in some ways, I think it's actually a better story than the cliched crazed-military-guy-vs.-the-mutants we saw last time. And the Golden Gate Bridge scene is awesome... Kelsey Grammer is good. Ian McKellen chews the scenery like the consummate pro he is (it's obvious he's having a great time)... The "de-aging" software used for the opening flashback looks shockingly believable.

All in all, I think it is a nice last act: it finishes up the trilogy in style... or does it?!?

(Hint: Be sure to stay for a brief scene after the closing credits.)

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
So it's better than I would have guessed?

Brett Ratner = explosions + car chases + pole dancers

I'll check it out just as soon as I've seen The Proposition.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Yes, it fits with the other films more seamlessly than I expected. Even though they changed directors and writers, the producers seem to have kept a close watch over the making of the film. As I said, it's a little more action-oriented and less character-driven, but as the third act, that's not surprising - they're largely closing off storylines developed earlier. It's defnitely not as superficial/lightweight as I expected from Ratner... It's a solid X-Men flick.

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I agree with Dr Strange. It's entertaining, and really, there's nothing wrong with it at all. Many characters go undeveloped (many just getting 2 or 3 lines), and it did feel sort of rushed, so it doesn't feel like an "epic". Ratner is a hack, but I doubt the powers that be would have let him mess this one up! And now it's had the 4th largest opening in box office history. No one's complaining!
Make sure you wait til after the closing credits for a surprise!

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
Is this [The Proposition] out now?? I have wanted to see this since I saw the trailer.

It's out here in one theatre. Nick Cave, John Hillcoat and Ray Winstone are teaming up for another film together. It's to be a black comedy called Death of a Ladies Man (title stolen from L. Cohen). So, they must be pleased with it anyway.

Thanks for the X-scoop guys.

TheRetropolitan

New in Town
I'm pretty much in agreement with Doctor Strange. It was pretty flawed, but it was great fun -- probably more fun than the last two. And a lot less dull.

If only it were maybe a half-hour longer to give the characters some breathing room... coulda been great.

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Feraud said:
..and less Wolverine crying. Did he cry about 4 times in the film?lol
He used to be a toughguy when I read the comics.:eusa_doh:
Well, two of the scenes were pretty sad, no? It tugs at the heart strings a bit more when a tough guy cries I think. Plus, don't forget the next movie is a Wolverine movie, so he'll be carrying the whole thing. I'm not surprised that they attempted to humanize him!

Rosie

One Too Many
I normally don't go see movies in the theater

unless I REALLY want to see them. I might go see this. Anyway, how was Kelsey Grammer as Beast? I am really interested in seeing him play that role.

Jack Scorpion

One Too Many
Grammar as the Beast was flawless. He was as made to play that role as Patrick Stewart was made to play Prof X.

I went and saw it w/a bunch of X-Men fans. They hated it.

I thought it was the "best' of the three. Best as in most enjoyable. No stiff, imported hollywood plotline. Just a whole mess of subplots and action and jokes rolled into less than 2 hours. Sure, there was a lot of ridiculous emotional pauses inbetween scenes, but they didn't drag on.

Very silly and fun. Really felt like watching the cartoon as a kid.

Steve

Practically Family
I haven't seen it yet, but I've seen quite a few previews and clips, and I am completely on fire to go. Kelsey Grammer is so incredible as Beast, I doubt anyone else could pull it off half as well.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Went in w/o listening to reviews.
Didnt care much for it at all.

Thought the CGI facelifts for the flashback to th `80s were pretty distracting.

Oh, and be sure to sit thru allll the credits for a final scene hinting at a sequel.

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender

I just got back. I was very entertained. It fits well with the first two. There is a lot of CGI....which usually takes me out of the movie. I think because it is a comic book story it doesn't bother me in this film as much.....and the computer geeks are getting better (Have to give credit where credit is due).

I fun popcorn flick.

The trailer for Click looks dumb.

The trailer for Superman looks cool....and I didn't expect it to. Smart move casting Kevin Spacey as Lex. He can make any role great....and most movies better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy