Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Yo...Tex is in "da Lounge"

Tex

New in Town
Edited; stampede strings (for cowboy hats esp.), rodeo cords, wind cord, all the same.

Hi Loungers-

I'm a new member, but not for long 'cause my free AOL will soon expire. I just wanted to say thanks for the info on how to fix a mole hole, "rodeo cords", weather protection, resizing, and the whole beaver 3x, 5x, 1,000,000x (they're really, really expensive) thing.

I've been wearing cowboy hats for years, generally whatever's cheap, "3x beaver" (which i now find out is really rabbit, bummer), with a self-made rodeo cord made out of leather boot laces. Used'em as a river guide (Snake River, Grand Teton National Park). While on the river, i saw a lot of hats drown. Never saw one "swim for it." My Dorfman Pacific "Floater" has flotation sewn into the brim, has big mesh vents on side, and a rodeo cord. Definitely the "hot read" (ala football quarterback's read) for golf and warm days on the water.

I just got my "new", very slightly used, Stetson Sera, Silver Belly, "5x" in the mail from eBay; $35 to the door. Seller said it just had one hole and she was correct. I tried the Elmer's glue and hat shavings to fix my hat, but it ain't perfect. Still some dark discoloration. Probably should have, could have shaved that dark stuff off first. Duh! I'll shave the dark boojie next and try superglue. I temporarily resized it with cut-down 3x5 cards; i ordered some Cap-Ban-Nu's to downsize my hat.

Still bummed my hat ain't beaver, but it's gonna be a daily, kickaround hat, so, ...so what. But over 600 bones for 100% beaver felt is too much "cake" (money) for me. Some day, from a real hat maker. And how can they say "Beaver" on the hat if it ain't, yo? What up wid dat?

Anyhow, thanks again for the info, and if anybody gots some ideas about how to protect my rodeo cord brim holes ("natural" grommets) for my hat, let me know.

Fly low, be firm, stay cool-
Tex

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24