Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Yoke

IXL

One Too Many
I'm in Oklahoma: yokes are mandatory here.
Seriously, they are such a common design feature in this part of the country that I don't really notice them.

dan_t

Practically Family
I never really cared for front yokes, then by a strange twist of fate, I ended up with this stunning early '90's zip sleeve highwayman.
I think it really works well with this style & provides a nice alternative to the plain front with a single chest pocket.
Aero%20Zip%20Sleeve%20Highwayman%201%20of%2026-1_zpsgwgxh1hc.jpg

Aero%20Zip%20Sleeve%20Highwayman%2026%20of%2026-15_zpsxhdcpzkb.jpg

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Re what I said earlier, I just checked and did find a few vintage examples with front yoke but no back yoke. The ones I found don't have a one-piece back, but some panels other than yokes - various sorts of vertical panels. It doesn't seem be a very common combination, though.

Here's another waist-length jacket with front and back yoke, similar to Dan's.

1930s German

g8enXwZ.jpg

9DRCTlu.jpg

Edward

Bartender
It depends on the jacket for me, really. None of my current jackets have a front yoke, which means I'd certainly consider one in future, just for difference. I am glad my HWM doesn't have one, because it's the standard pattern with no internal pockets - I'd miss the chest pocket terribly. I do like the look of a chest pocket, though I'd consider two internal pockets instead if I really liked the look of the front yoke on a particular model. I did once have a jacket that had a yoke detail on the front and a plain back. It was a cafe racer type, 90s manufacture, that had a long yoke going from the shoulders down the full front - yoke curved out and down from the shoulders, then about two inches from the zip, turned downwards and went straight down to the hem. Aero used to do one with this - I think it was a variation of the Hercules, but I don't see it on the website now. I was never quite sure if I liked it on me or not, but other folks seemed to think it looked good. That jacket had no chest warmer pockets, just handwarmers. I'd probably still have it if I hadn't decided that the mandarin collar look just wasn't for me.

If I was going for the 59er HWM, I'd probably stick with the yoke - it's one of the original details that sets it out as different that other, similar styles.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
I personally think if a jacket has both front and back yokes, then it should have no seam on top of the shoulder, otherwise it seams too busy or make the jacket looks cheap (made with smaller panels to minimize material)

jpk_NJ

One Too Many
What say the lounge on a longer jacket (30") that has a front horizontal yoke. Which back yoke style would look best ? and which would look out of place?

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
I don't think I've ever seen a vintage jacket made this way.
just my personal feeling, I didn't refer to what vintage construction were made, because with thick leather I wish I moved the stitching somewhere else, as it hurts from its weight. so when there is a design elements like front and back yokes, I'll certainly skip the shoulder seam because it is doable though wasting more material (round cutout for neck, and 2 cutouts for shoulder) but it is doable, and I imagine would wear and mould better on the shoulder.
ze6eI9D.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner