Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

You Big Softy! - Your Favourite Soft Drinks

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Also, check out this report done recently on NPR:

Pepsi, Mountain Dew Launch Retro Drinks

All Things Considered, May 5, 2009 · Pepsi and Mountain Dew have both launched Throwback, two retro variations of the popular drinks that use sugar instead of high fructose corn syrup. Steve Tanner, of BevReview.com, a Web site that provides reviews of soft drinks, talks about what this means for the beverage industry and consumers.

No transcript of the report is available, but you can listen at http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=103825807

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
When I was growing up we would get Barq's Root Beer or other Barq's flavors. It was good stuff! In Louisville theres "Big Red" cream soda thats really, really good. I haven't ever found it elsewhere.
Central KY has Ale-8-1 which is a real stiff ginger ale kinda thing with enough caffine to keep you up at night!

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
KittyT said:
Also, check out this report done recently on NPR:

Pepsi, Mountain Dew Launch Retro Drinks

All Things Considered, May 5, 2009 · Pepsi and Mountain Dew have both launched Throwback, two retro variations of the popular drinks that use sugar instead of high fructose corn syrup. Steve Tanner, of BevReview.com, a Web site that provides reviews of soft drinks, talks about what this means for the beverage industry and consumers.

No transcript of the report is available, but you can listen at http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=103825807

Thanks for the link, veeery interesting.

Flivver

Practically Family
My favorite soft drink is still good old Moxie. My grandfather introduced me to Moxie 'n milk when I was about four and I still drink it.

But at home, my parents were more economical about soft drinks. My Mom often used Za-Rex flavoring syrup which could be mixed with either water or milk. It came in a small clear glass jug.

Does anyone else remember Za-Rex? Was it unique to New England?

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Favourite drinks...

- Sprite/lemonade/7-Up, Solo and other lemony-limey flavoured drinks.

- Sarsparilla. Don't drink this often, but I like it a lot.

- Sparkling mineral water. When I'm after a healthier alternative.

- Coca-Cola. I'm not a big fan of Coke, to be honest. I don't like the caffiene smell. And caffiene seems to stay in my breath for an embarrassingly LONG time.

pretty faythe

One Too Many
Ethan Bentley said:
For me my preference is a nice cool glass of ginger ale. I've always been a fan of Schwepps but have had some Canada Dry recently (I think they are now part of Schwepps).
I remember the first time I had a particular brand of ginger ale it was so fizzy that I couldn't take a sip without sneezing - very strange.

Have you had Hansons Gingerale? Its to die for!!
Other than gingerale I unfortunately have a caffiene habit that I am starting to wean myself off of today...tomorrow..today. lol
Coke Zero is my fav. Reg coke is now to sweet for me having drunk diet for so long, and on the rare occasion I do have a reg coke, boy the caffiene and sugar rush!!
Big Red is good too, I'll have it on occasion.

pretty faythe

One Too Many
KY Gentleman said:
When I was growing up we would get Barq's Root Beer or other Barq's flavors. It was good stuff! In Louisville theres "Big Red" cream soda thats really, really good. I haven't ever found it elsewhere.
Central KY has Ale-8-1 which is a real stiff ginger ale kinda thing with enough caffine to keep you up at night!

Barqs had bite...a caffiene bite that is. The only root beer, I believe, with caffiene. I remember looking at the ingredients years ago next to an A&W to see what the difference was.

I find Big Red in 7-11s.

If you're a fan of ginger ale you may like to try ginger beer. Ginger beer isn't a beer at all but it is a highly flavored version of ginger ale. IF you're in a place with a big soda selection see if they are carrying any.

I can't remember the brand name (may have been Cock and Bull) but the ginger is so strong it made my lips tingle.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
John in Covina said:
If you're a fan of ginger ale you may like to try ginger beer. Ginger beer isn't a beer at all but it is a highly flavored version of ginger ale. IF you're in a place with a big soda selection see if they are carrying any.

I love ginger beer, but don't drink it often because I usually don't think of it. Great to use as a cocktail mixer too! Dark and Stormys anyone?

ladybrettashley

One of the Regulars
KY Gentleman said:

Oh, i had forgotten about Ale-8-1! We always get some when i go visit my grandparents in KY. I'm not usually into ridiculously caffeinated drinks (anymore), but it's kind of a once a year treat.

Though i used to drink Big Red all the time as a kid (in Houston). My mom didn't know it was caffeinated, so i would get it when she said i could get "a soda, but nothing with caffeine." Wasn't i rebellious! ;) Now it's just too sweet for me.

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
John in Covina said:
Ginger beer is used in a cocktail called a moscow mule and you're supposed to drink it out of copper cups!

Very true, a great drink.

Kitty T - thanks again for that link, I've had a bit more time to read it an it is great! I'm going to try and find some Mountain Dew retro.

Yoghurt Pepsi though??

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Ethan Bentley said:
Kitty T - thanks again for that link, I've had a bit more time to read it an it is great! I'm going to try and find some Mountain Dew retro.

No problem! When I heard that on the radio, I originally thought of posting it here, and forgot. This is a great thread and was the reminder I needed! Glad you've enjoyed it.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
Does anyone else have available to them imports from Scotland from Barr's, Irn Bru and Dandelion and Burdock?

Irn Bru ("iron brew" - in fact, generic versions use this generic language) is orange in colour, but tastes a little like a cross between ginger ale and something I can't quite identify.

Dandelion and Burdock is quite tasty, notwithstanding the name, and like root beer, which it resembles in both colour and, somewhat, in taste, is made from, you guessed it, the roots of dandelion and burdock weeds.

YUM!

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
Raising The 'Barr'

Mister Cairo, both Iron Bru and Dandelion and Burdock are widely available in the UK, of course this due to the proximity to the factor. I didn't know that they were so widely available apart from niche stores, but I am very glad they are and that you enjoy them.

You may be interested in this Iron Bru related news article.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/8066968.stm

We also have an Iron Bru "chew bar" (piece of confectionary) and a drink called Tizer which is similar.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80