Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

You can take my freedom, but you'll never have my haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat

ADHD librarian

One of the Regulars
Well,
OK I'm not in high school
nor am I in Minnesota.

But if I was I'd be upset right about now

"...students will find a new "no head-wear" policy in place when they return to school in September. The Prior Lake-Savage school board approved the policy on Monday as part of the 2008-09 school year's student handbook."

This is odd, because a lot of schools in Australia are enforcing a 'no hat no play' rule. Where students are not permitted outside without a lid.

DominusTecum

Familiar Face
As far as I'm concerned, this is just basic etiquette. You wear your hats outside, and you take them off inside, unless you're only inside for a second, or you're in a foyer-type corridor. It's always a bit subjective, but I think sitting in class with a hat on is rather rude to the instructor and the other students. When I was in high school, I'm sure I'd have been asked to remove my hat, had I dared wear it inside all day. Ladies, traditionally, have this privelege, but not gentlemen.

Besides, these aren't fedora-wearing youth, these are punks wearing that bane of hatters, the baseball cap, and many of them will use the inner brim to hold test answers.

Do tell though, I'm curious about this Aussie opposite trend! Do you live in one of the hot parts of the country, where it's for health or something? I have a friend in NSW, and she sent me pictures last year of the thermometer on a 53-degree day.... if that is at all common, I could see where hats might indeed BE a necessary health consideration lol

Feraud

Bartender
The schools are at fault for allowing students to wear hats indoors to begin with. This is a basic rule the school chose to not enforce.
Now they want to go back and ban/create policy with regards to hatwear. Very smart..:rolleyes:

MattJH

One Too Many
DominusTecum said:
Besides, these aren't fedora-wearing youth, these are punks wearing that bane of hatters, the baseball cap

Or fans of a specific sports team, brand, band, or design. The bias of this message board aside, a cap should not automatically brand the teenage wearer a punk or gang member. I've worn them all my life. I still do, especially at Phillies / Eagles events. I don't see what the big deal is. School is another matter, though. I attended public schools from 1983 through 1995 and was never, ever permitted to wear a hat in class.

Charlie Noodles

A-List Customer
What about outside during recess? I don't think I saw a distinction between outside or inside there. Just 'school hours'.

Or is no one generally out in the yard at a US school during those times?

MattJH

One Too Many
Charlie Noodles said:
What about outside during recess?

Still no hats permitted.

We were also not permitted to chew gum at any time, and we weren't permitted to eat or drink at our desks.

HamletJSD

A-List Customer
It's been 10 years since high school in Orlando ... but since I first started school we weren't even allowed to have hats on campus. There were plenty of rumorous explanations floated around, but I'm not sure anyone really knew why.

donCarlos

Practically Family
"Students at Prior Lake High School sometimes hide iPods under hooded sweat shirts to listen to music during class."
I´ve never understood why the teachers are dissapointed by that. Of course, it´s a sign of aboslute ignorance, but the students will be punished by their lack of knowledge. I know that teenagers are bunch of ignorants, who can´t see further than tommorow and they think that the things they learn are useless, but they would change their minds very soon after they get fired from the school. (I just ended the high school and some of my friends didn´t, so I know...) I have feedback from some of my friends who studied on american high schools for a year and all of them agreed that american schools provide quite poor education in comparison to our schools. One of them said that the students in the last grade didn´t know how to use a protractor... I guess there is nothing (except the legendary Nuremberg funnel) that can help these kids, so all these restrictions and limitations are kinda useless. That´s same all around the world - these who are interested do what they are supposed to do and those who are not interested do nothing but trouble.

The whole security cameras thing - that´s what the democracy leads to...

Watching students during tests - A teacher who is not able to compel students to remove their head-gear has apparently no respect at all, so the students will probably cheat anyway. Again, their problem.

And finally, about the hats - Seems to be trend. (I mean the issue with Yorkshire pubs) If they mount the cameras to the ground, they wouldn´t have to force people to remove the hats and the guards would get some more interesting points of view :) I think it would be best to learn the students to remove their hats inside, watch it and punish the violators - It´s basic etiquette, these things shall be taught in schools as well. About three weeks ago, I was doing an entrance examination to the university and one woman from the staff forced everyone to remove their head-gear inside. When one guy refused to, she came to him and did it herself. I was really amused lol

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I got caught by school security for being "on school property" (long story, there was a field trip that had a last minute change in plans) because I was wearing my hat.
On the cameras they couldn't tell who anyone else was, but they could see me in my vintage stetson and caught up with me later on.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Nice.
"Hey, obvious guy! Take off your hat so that you're not concealing your identity - that way you'll blend in with everyone else."

MattJH

One Too Many
DominusTecum said:
Besides, these aren't fedora-wearing youth, these are punks wearing that bane of hatters, the baseball cap

donCarlos said:
I know that teenagers are bunch of ignorants, who can´t see further than tommorow and they think that the things they learn are useless

What is going on in this thread?

DominusTecum

Familiar Face
Hey Dumbjaw, how do you quote two posts at once? I've never been able to figure out how to do that?

That aside, perhaps I should clarify that I don't have any real animosity towards the baseball cap, no matter how un-stylish I think it might be. On certain occasions, I myself have been known to don one (fishing at a pond in the woods 15 miles from the nearest civilization, for example, or at a tractor pull or similar event.) My father would be 80-something if he were still alive, and he abandoned fedoras back in the '40s in favor of the baseball cap. Nevertheless, my point was that it's not like these kids are dedicated hat-wearers who are being "forced to give it up," they're just wearing 'em because it's the "in" thing to do, in whatever circles they move in. If they resent being told to doff their hats, it's not because they actually really like and appreciate a hat, it's just because "somebody presumes to tell me what to do."

handlebar bart

Call Me a Cab
My son wears his fedora to elementary school everyday. The teacher even put up a special hook to hang his hat on in class. He gets to wear it to recess [huh]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner