Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

You Look It, But Do You Act It?

freebird said:
That's why they call this "Tornado Alley" lol. I suppose it's like everything else, whatever you get used to is what you're comfortable with. Not to say that I'm comfortable with tornado's, but I can deal with them on an occasional basis.lol

Occassionally!? Uh, no thanks. I've seen The Wizard of Oz enough times already.:p
Why is it that everytime I see your name it reminds me of this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mioGewkWVdo
lol :p ;)

freebird

Practically Family
jamespowers said:
Occassionally!? Uh, no thanks. I've seen The Wizard of Oz enough times already.:p
Why is it that everytime I see your name it reminds me of this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mioGewkWVdo
lol :p ;)

LOL that's good, that's where I got the name from rofl. After a rough patch with a girl, I felt so much like a Free Bird, that I started using the name.I'm also a big Skynyrd fan. (not too vintage I agree, but oh well lol) I found out later that my eldest Brother had went to College with Steve Gaines of Skynyrd...Steve and Cassie (his Sister) were two that were killed in the plane crash. Frank, said that he did some concert lighting work for Steve while they were in college, which would've been pretty cool. BTW Steve's the one that wails away on the Free Bird guitar solo.

Also like a little bit o' Dead as well, thus my Mr Saturday Night avatar.

PS

A-List Customer
SamMarlowPI said:
does this count?
last weekend i was watching a movie with this girl at her house...shes in my acting class...anyway she was stressing over her ex treating her terribly...i turned off the movie, put in a Brian Mcknight CD and asked her to dance...we did...very simple slow dance but really nice...to ease her mind i guess...
that count? ...for anything vintage? for anything, period?

i had this happen in college, his name was Stephen. we were both bored at a frat party we'd been lured into. instead he took photos of me all night and when we decided to chuck the whole event he took me back to his room and we danced to old records. i couldn't believe that in '00 someone thought to bring their record player to the dorms. its one of my loveliest memories. i wish i knew what happened to him. we were strictly platonic but he made me feel wonderful that night and on many occasions after. no one else understood the significance of just listening to those records or slow dancing with out ending up between the sheets. but i will always treasure that memory.

pgoat

One Too Many
PS said:
i had this happen in college, his name was Stephen. we were both bored at a frat party we'd been lured into. instead he took photos of me all night and when we decided to chuck the whole event he took me back to his room and we danced to old records. i couldn't believe that in '00 someone thought to bring their record player to the dorms. its one of my loveliest memories. i wish i knew what happened to him. we were strictly platonic but he made me feel wonderful that night and on many occasions after. no one else understood the significance of just listening to those records or slow dancing with out ending up between the sheets. but i will always treasure that memory.
That's so sweet! I had one or two of those experiences - you're right, they definitely are so much more special to remember.

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
PS said:
its one of my loveliest memories. i wish i knew what happened to him. we were strictly platonic but he made me feel wonderful that night and on many occasions after. no one else understood the significance of just listening to those records or slow dancing with out ending up between the sheets. but i will always treasure that memory.

there ya' go...:)
kids these days just don't get it...what am i saying...i am one of those kids...maybe i get it...lol

Smuterella

One Too Many
CharlesB said:
A bit of both...

If there's a dance floor I'm on it

If there's a gal in front of the door I'll open it

If theres a raunchy bawdy and inappropriate joke...I'll make it!

theres always room for bit of raunch and bawd!

Pip

A-List Customer
Hahaha, had a similar experience (although I imagine it looked hillarious) a few months back. I was walking back to a friends house after having dinner somewhere and a couple of drinks, realising I probably wouldn't see them for a long time.

Just before we got to the door, as she was just pulling out her keys, I asked herto pop them back in her pocket. I then turned on my Mp3 player (goes quite loudly without headphones), and simply danced out on the street to a gorgeous 1930's Czechoslovakian song.

This was about midnight, goodness knows what all her neighbours thought lol . Will always stick with me though.

I'm quite old fashioned/old school, but also very modern in my attitudes. So it creates a nice combination I believe. The politeness and "gentleman"ly'ness of old, with the fun loving, liberal etc attitudes of today, although this is quite possibly due to a fairly privelledged/proper upbringing....and that sounded terribly snotty :eek:

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
LizzieMaine said:
I don't consider myself "old fashioned" as much as I consider myself *square*, and proud of it. I still believe in all that stuff I learned in Girl Scouts, and I do so without a trace of irony. I do my duty, punch the clock, pay my taxes, take my responsibilities seriously, never try to cheat the system, obey the speed limit, and always vote. I've never been drunk, never used any illegal substance, don't believe in rebellion for the sake of rebellion, and never go over 14 items in the express line. I've got no interest at all in living on the edge -- I'd much rather stay in the reasonable middle. And I'm not trying to prove anything by this, challenge anyone, or make any grand social statement -- it's just the way I am. And if that makes me old-fashioned, well, go ahead and call me Grandma.

You're quite a woman, LizzieMaine...

For those that are proponents living in the present and fully embrace the fads and changes in values, attitudes, fashion and technology often place a high value on HIPNESS. With that they seem to often cut themselves off from the past and undervalue the past with a disdain for any sentimentality for the past. I think they lose history and can easily fall into the "doomed to repeat it" segment of humanity.

John in Covina said:
For those that are proponents living in the present and fully embrace the fads and changes in values, attitudes, fashion and technology often place a high value on HIPNESS. With that they seem to often cut themselves off from the past and undervalue the past with a disdain for any sentimentality for the past. I think they lose history and can easily fall into the "doomed to repeat it" segment of humanity.

Exactly. Santayana would be proud. ;) :p

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Late again...

Haven't seen this thread yet till now...

To answer the question... YES!

Old fashioned in the sense I act like an old man... even though I'm 30 years old.

I'm grateful for the advancements we have today but, I think people put way to much stock into it. Also, I don't listen to most of the doom and gloom that the modern media is spreading about our world.

My self, I listen to old music because it makes me happy, it's not overly sexed and isn't vulgar... in most ways anyway.

Style wise I'm 100% old fashioned! I just don't like or find attractive any fashion that has come out since I was a kid.

Also, I'm an old fashioned guy because I'll be square with anyone. If someone crosses me, I don't keep quiet, I'm very outspoken in many ways, and I believe in standing up for my rights... and for the rights of others. I'm a very loyal person... And I believe in a right and wrong way of living... that's old fashioned since so much of today it seems there's only gray and no black or white to things. I'm open minded but have my beliefs and I don't force them on anyone... however if someone tries to force their beliefs on me, I don't take it. I can be a tough guy... however; I can be a big softy too. I just don't take any guff that's about the size of it... I ain't afraid of much.

So, yeah, I'm old fashioned... a transplant from another era in a modern world.

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I feel that it's probably unnecessary for me even to reply to this, since I'm more modern than modern, and most of you have figured that out I'm sure. lol I have manners, but I'm hardly old-fashioned. But I'll say thanks if anyone holds the door for me, man or woman.

I've noticed there's a lot of discussion about whether or not it's ridiculous for a woman to be insulted when a man holds a door for her (or acts in a chivalrous manner generally). I don't personally feel that it is insulting, but I must say that I can understand why some women do, or did. I find that that kind of sentiment (HOW DARE YOU HOLD THE DOOR FOR ME) is outmoded these days. In the 80s there was very much a movement within feminism that a woman being treated as anything other than as a man by a man was condescending. Feminism is a bit more nuanced now, and I doubt many feminists would be insulted if a man held the door as a courtesy. However, if a woman was insulted, all a man has to do is apologize and not do it again. Manners go both ways after all.

Miss_Bella_Hell said:
However, if a woman was insulted, all a man has to do is apologize and not do it again. Manners go both ways after all.

Apologize for having good manners!? That's standing manners on their head it seems to me. ;) :p
I can see it now. "I apologize for having manners and openign this door for you. I'll try to be a boor next time and slam it in your face like I would anyone else.":rolleyes: :eusa_doh: :p

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
jamespowers said:
Apologize for having good manners!? That's standing manners on their head it seems to me. ;) :p
I can see it now. "I apologize for having manners and openign this door for you. I'll try to be a boor next time and slam it in your face like I would anyone else.":rolleyes: :eusa_doh: :p

So, if you have offended somebody without meaning to, don't apologize? Ok, I'm writing this all down. lol

Come on, that was exactly my point. Manners are not particularly universal, and you didn't mean to offend, so just say sorry and forget it. You think holding the door is having good manners. She thinks it's bad. You can immediately give her a lesson in why she's wrong, rather than apologizing, if you prefer. lol

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Having good manners doesn't exactly mean being old fashioned by any means! Watch any old movies and there's a lot who don't have manners! lol

Being old fashioned for me goes deeper then takin' a hat off in doors or trying to act like some fancy pants in a movie, I'm a genuine person meaning I'm down to earth and I'll be kind and honest and give most people a fare shake who I meet. I am a polite man and I believe treating a lady as one... That's just my nature and that's an old fashioned quality.

Bein' old fashioned also goes deeper then just the way I act, I try and cook at home and eat at home more then most. I don't eat out much anymore and I try and live within my means. I think that's an old fashioned thing most people today feel they can't do. Too busy and focused on other things around them to slow down and have a good square meal with the family or by them selves. Most people feel they have to be on the go every minute, that’s fine for them but, I can’t do it. I don’t want to be constantly distracted by cell phones and rushing around everywhere. I’m not really extravagant by any means… I like a few fancy things but, Bing Crosby sums it all up perfect in the lyrics of “Give Me The Simple Life”

I don't believe in frettin' and grievin';
Why mess around with strife?
I never was cut out to step and strut out.
Give me the simple life.

Some find it pleasant dining on pheasant.
Those things roll off my knife;
Just serve me tomatoes; and mashed potatoes;
Give me the simple life.

Bridge:

A cottage small is all I'm after,
Not one that's spacious and wide.
A house that rings with joy and laughter
And the ones you love inside.

Some like the high road, I like the low road,
Free from the care and strife.
Sounds corny and seedy, but yes, indeed-y;
Give me the simple life.