Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

You were all right; after time, I'm far more selective about my purchases now.

MattJH

One Too Many
Initially, due to my 7 5/8 head size, I'd jump at every single hat listed on eBay or other sites that would fit since the size is one of the more scarce ones to find in vintage hats. Now, I find myself passing up on several of them. I'm getting a better idea of what I feel looks good.

I also know, from a cost perspective, that unless I can get it absolutely dirt cheap, I'm not going to buy any hat that's going to require a reblock or a professional cleaning no matter how nice it would be afterwards.

I'm also very glad that stingy brims go for less than full brims because, while I look fine with a full brim, I definitely think I can pull off the stingy without much of a problem. My favorite hat that I own is a tawny brown Brooks Brothers stingy. It fits like it was custom made for my big, Polish head.

So anyway -- you were all right. Thank goodness, too. It can get expensive trying to win every single listed 7 5/8!

bolthead

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I couldn't agree more...

You said a mouthfull Dumbjaw.....:eusa_clap

I'm also very glad that stingy brims go for less than full brims because, while I look fine with a full brim, I definitely think I can pull off the stingy without much of a problem.

I couldn't agree more...:rolleyes:

A

Ande1963

I hear ya, brother. I'm just finishing up the same little arc myself. Now that I have a number of hats I like, in a variety of colors and styles, the fever is dying down.

Thank god!

Anj

Prairie Shade

A-List Customer
KNOX Open Crown 7 5/8 Camel

The Stetson Outlet in St. Joe MO has some larger size hats on sale for 10.00 plus shipping. I almost picked that Camel Open Crown up for JamesPowers but decided he already hat enough hats. Might want to give them a call. It was worth 10.00 for sure. Just a heads up if your interested. Also had a Black upper end hat for the same price.
a>

bolthead

Holy Cow.....

Prairie Shade said:
The Stetson Outlet in St. Joe MO has some larger size hats on sale for 10.00 plus shipping. I almost picked that Camel Open Crown up for JamesPowers but decided he already hat enough hats. Might want to give them a call. It was worth 10.00 for sure. Just a heads up if your interested. Also had a Black upper end hat for the same price.
a>
$10, for a Stetson, that's amazing....:eusa_doh:

MattJH

One Too Many
Prairie Shade said:

I've been looking for a Knox! That's fantasic and uncanny in its relevance and timing. I've already called them and the process is underway. I sincerely appreciate the heads up (no pun intended).

Prairie Shade

A-List Customer
Glad they still had it

If my head were larger, you wouldnt have a Knox. I dont think your going to be disappointed. When you go there, you never know what they are going to have. I picked up a 4X OR for 30.00. They also had more in larger sizes I believe.
jbrana

The OR's are on the left.

MattJH

One Too Many
An incredible deal: $20.00 TOTAL including shipping for three hats, all in 7 5/8.

One is camel, one is gray, and one is black. He said that none of them were Knox, though. I think two are Dobbs and one is Stetson. Either way, I don't care, the price is so extraordinary that it's a deal regardless. And I figure that if I'm not happy with one or two, they can be project hats. I did confirm that all three are fur felt.

There was a fourth 7 5/8 hat, but since the deal was buy one for $10, get two free and since they only ship three hats at once, the fourth hat would've doubled my cost to $40.00. It was another black hat but with a very wide 3 1/8" brim which I'm confident wouldn't look good on me.

I can't thank you enough, Prairie Shade! Nice photographs, too.

bolthead

No Way.....?

Dumbjaw said:
An incredible deal: $20.00 TOTAL including shipping for three hats, all in 7 5/8.

One is camel, one is gray, and one is black. He said that none of them were Knox, though. I think two are Dobbs and one is Stetson. Either way, I don't care, the price is so extraordinary that it's a deal regardless. And I figure that if I'm not happy with one or two, they can be project hats. I did confirm that all three are fur felt.

There was a fourth 7 5/8 hat, but since the deal was buy one for $10, get two free and since they only ship three hats at once, the fourth hat would've doubled my cost to $40.00. It was another black hat but with a very wide 3 1/8" brim which I'm confident wouldn't look good on me.

I can't thank you enough, Prairie Shade! Nice photographs, too.
That just totally blows me away....

Is this deal for larger sized hats only?

MattJH

One Too Many
The best I could tell from speaking with the gentleman, there is a small section of Buy One For $10 Get Two Free! hats. This is the selection I asked him to scour for 7 5/8 hats and he found me four, three of which I took.

You're a 6 7/8, right? It wouldn't hurt to call them and ask! They were very amenable, although the gentleman had a thick accent and at times it was difficult for me to understand what he was saying, but he was still extremely polite.

They also have sections of beaver hats ($100 each) and beaver/rabbit blend ($70) each. The $10 deals must be extreme surplus. Maybe minor defects? I won't know until I get them.

Prairie Shade

A-List Customer
Stetson Sale

Well, the hat in the foreground of my picture with an Open Crown was a Knox. That I know because I picked it up and put in on my head and to my ears. It was the only open crown I saw and I saw no defects on the Knox. They were clearing out larger size hats that they couldnt sell. Did you see the OR's or did my picture not come out? They were large sizes also I believe

MattJH

One Too Many
I saw the Open Roads in the picture but I don't really like them. I know I'm in the huge minority, though.

I'll definitely post pictures!

Maybe the open crown Knox sold between the time you saw it and the time I called this morning? Or maybe he read it wrong to me and it's a Knox after all.

Prairie Shade said:
a>

You didn't pick me up three? :p
Geez, how about making it easy and post the number? ;)

Regards,

J

Undertow

Yes, please share the number! I would be interested in at least calling. In fact, I would be willing to make a road trip just to see what they had.

A

Ande1963

I made the trip today. Pretty amazing place. They used to make Stetsons there, up to about three years ago. The people working in the outlet store used to all work in the factory next door. Everyone was as nice as they could be today... it was a great experience.

I bought 6 of the 7 5/8 fedoras for $20 total, two Dobbs dress straws for $40 (but one, get one), and a 10X Western straw (aw, hell... it's a cowboy hat) for $60. My digital camera is dead, but I'll share images sometime soon.

Overall, I was very pleased with the quality of the dress hats. I'm keeping 5 out of 6, I think. The lady was willing to go get more 7 5/8, but I felt bad bothering her all day. She said they have a lot more, along with a lot of 7 3/4. Dumbjaw, I think you'll be pleased with the size... these run a little large. The only sign that they were outlet hats was a slightly bulging sweat on one, and they punch through the sweats in the back, just to mark them as outlet hats, I suppose.

I tried on a 7 1/2 4X Open Road, which was $100, but my long oval head wasn't happy enough with the fit. They do have steam and some stretching ability there, but they couldn't get it just right for me.

You can get the number for the store HERE. I probably don't have to say as much here, as we're all cool, but I would encourage everyone to be reasonable. Don't buy a hundred of the things and set up an ebay store or something. It would be cool if everyone here got a shot at such an extraordinary sale.

I drove an hour and a half to visit the store, and I'm glad I did. If you're in the area, it's worthwhile. Even if you can only visit over the phone, I'm sure the folks there will treat you well.

Anj

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner