Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Young Author

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
Many of you know that I am a humble elementary school teacher. Well, today we had a wonderful experience. The children's author, Patricia Polocco, came to our school and gave three riveting speaches intertwined with wonderful stories.

If any of your kids are LD, Special Education, Nerds, Geeks, overweight, or otherwise bullied you'd might want to look at some of her books. www.patriciapolocco.com

Some interesting facts:

Among her geek friends that overcame the bullying he received because of his unusual voice is none other than Frank Oz.

She babysat for a desparately poor family that lived in a rusty old boat on an estuary near Oakland...one Tom Hanks was her charge.

She talked about the three of them returning to their high school to face the "bullies." Guess what? Everyone wanted to be their friend. Irony or something less?

A little elementary? That is my life...elementary.

Biltmore Bob

Suspended
My son kicked a bullie's arse last year in school. The kid was so traumatized his mother had to put him in another school, The kid had been picking and tormenting my boy for a year. My son did all that is expected ie. walking away, running away, telling a teacher, blah blah blah. Nothing was ever done.
He had enough one day and could take no more. Of course he got introuble for defending himself, with the school not me. 2nd grade...

Biltmore Bob said:
He had enough one day and could take no more. Of course he got introuble for defending himself, with the school not me. 2nd grade...

Great. They punish the person who was getting picked and probably gave the other guy a medal of tolerance. :rolleyes: :rage:
Your kid did the right thing. That is the only way to face down bullies. His house of cards fell down.

Regards to all,

J

IndianaGuybrush

One of the Regulars
Not to go off on the subject of bullies, but there was a bully in my 1st grade class, and to this day I remember his name... Matthew McManus. he used to get me to go on the tire swing then spin it until I threw up, among other charming things.

I remember telling my Dad about it eventually and him teaching me how to defend myself, and also telling me that nothing sobers up a bully like a good sucker punch to the gut. He taught me how to stand (he boxed in college), how to punch, and how to fake with my left to the face, then uppercut with my right into the gut. I felt pumped, primed and ready.

Eventually the fateful day came when Matthew decided to pick on me again. As per my father's instructions, I told on him to the teacher first. I guess the old man felt it was always best to give the system a chance to work it out. Of course, Matthew persisted. Then, again due to my father's tutelage, I gave him a warning. I told him if he didn't stop picking on me he'd be sorry. This, predictibly, only spurred him further. At this point, I squared off, took my stance, and begin repeating "fake with the left, punch with the right, fake with the left, punch with the right..." in my head. Then my mind went blank, I panicked and punched him right, square in the face with my left. He started crying... then his nose started bleeding... then I started crying.

This story still brings roars of laughter at the thanksgiving table when I tell it. I can't imagine the story that Matthew tells about the tiny skinny kid with glasses who beat him up in the 1st grade. The best part of it is, Matthew never bothered me after that. The only thing you can do to a bully is show him what's what nice and early.

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
I know there are a few teachers here and, at least, in my area I'm not the only one who occasionally lets a few things go when the bully is getting his. I'm talking elementary school here....in Middle School I just jump right on in the middle ASAP.

BTW, nobody, and I mean nobody, fights as much nor as hard as a Junior High/Middle School girl. It has been my experience that boys are chickens...girls aren't!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner