Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your Dream Job

thecardigankid

One of the Regulars
Just curious what everyones dream job would be. The one job in the world where they would give up everything in a heartbeat in order to work it?

My dream job is to be a firefighter on the FDNY. Luckily I'm in sight of that job, taking the entrance exam this January.

What about you?

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
That is amazing. Good luck to you. My Grand Father started a fire department here in Michigan in the 1940's and was right out there on the job until he was almost 60 years old. I grew up watching firemen training and taking care of the equipment as a young child.

I currently have my dream job, as in the years of life have managed finance companies, been a machinist, build performance engines for professional race teams, and currently have a commercial building company and a manufacturing company that are both doing very well. I love what I do, and to me if you enjoy what you do for a living, that is a dream job.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Two, actually.

To be a published author.

To work at the National World War II Museum in New Orleans.

Since I am stuck at a job that I dislike immensely (and I'm not using my master's degree in history AT ALL), I keep telling my daughter to do what she loves so she's not stuck in my situation. If I had made better choices in school (for instance, went into a museum studies program instead of just a straight master's degree), things might have been different. Of course, everything happens for a reason. But I'm trying to get back into the history field now. Unfortunately, with the economy, that's tough. I'm thankful to have the job I do!

Dan'l

Practically Family
Either a wealthy antique collector or an actor. Acting in period, or Hollywood's version of period, films would be a lot fun.

There's a lot of things, I'd like to do. Restore Antiques, and teaching History at a College level both really appeal to me. I do restore antiques, but can't really make a living at it.

Own my own coffee shop. But it would also include tech and music. I would loved to have been the next Paul McCartney or Fran Tarkenton too, had I a magic jeanie. At least the first one is plausible :)

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Two, actually.

To be a published author.

To work at the National World War II Museum in New Orleans.

Since I am stuck at a job that I dislike immensely (and I'm not using my master's degree in history AT ALL), I keep telling my daughter to do what she loves so she's not stuck in my situation. If I had made better choices in school (for instance, went into a museum studies program instead of just a straight master's degree), things might have been different. Of course, everything happens for a reason. But I'm trying to get back into the history field now. Unfortunately, with the economy, that's tough. I'm thankful to have the job I do!
Please take this for some words of wisdom, about education versus where you can go in life. I have my Juris Doctorate in Law and never took the bar exam, and eventually found my course in life bringing me to having a commercial building company and a manufacturing company. So now, not always will our "degree" make things flow for our work, but what education you do have will always help you be smarter and it is something no one can take from you!

Me?
This will sound funny, but I LOVE BOOKS, and I always dreamed about having an old book shop.

That sounds like me, though I've been a book dealer for almost twenty years. I just don't have a physical brick-and-mortar book store (yet). Actually I'd love to have either a book store, antique shop, or a hobby shop. Though there's one field I wish I had gotten into: industrial design. I've always admired the work of such Golden Era designers as Norman Bel Geddes and Harley Earl.

PoohBang

Suspended
Writer and producer of a nightly fifteen-minute radio comedy serial. But it ain't gonna happen in this lifetime.

why not? Just do it. Write a season worth of shows, and then find some local talent. It's radio so you don't need a lot of equipment, just a few good mics and a computer. Record a few shows, put them together, and then send them to your local NPR... once you get picked up, record them in front of an audience.

Or even rent out a local theater and record a few shows there. You're dream is easily with in reach!

Pompidou

One Too Many
Own my own coffee shop. But it would also include tech and music...

Same here, though the tech is steampunk. I'm actually meeting my lender tomorrow at 2 to get that ball rolling. It's taken 3 years so far. My future landlord is off in Afghanistan right now, but supposedly his lawyer is going to help move things forward while he's away. It's just taking longer with the extra steps in communication.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
why not? Just do it. Write a season worth of shows, and then find some local talent. It's radio so you don't need a lot of equipment, just a few good mics and a computer. Record a few shows, put them together, and then send them to your local NPR... once you get picked up, record them in front of an audience.

Or even rent out a local theater and record a few shows there. You're dream is easily with in reach!

Been there. I did it at the local level in the '80s -- but radio is now dead, and it isn't coming back. I still write the occasional scripts for "reenactments" and the like, but it's not the same. The modern style of smirky ironic humor isn't something I'm interested in trying to write for.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany