Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your favorite hat marketing terms

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
One term I do notice being done more than not with many "vintage" hats sales on eBay by people that just do not know much about hats, they have a hat that is really in very rough shape, and state it is in "never been worn" condition, regardless if it is already 50+ years old and looking like King Kong used it for a play toy. I personally will use the word, "clean" if something looks good, in good or better condition and does not need anything done to it.

HatsEnough

Banned
"Vintage" is hard to determine in the collectible market, though. Certainly hats are almost never "antiques." That is a century old or more and most soft hats just don't survive that long. But vintage? What is it, really? Is a 70s fedora "vintage"? Most fedora collectors would end "vintage" with 1960 and later hats would be just an old hat, not a vintage hat to hardcore collectors. Many fedora aficionados would consider all mass manufactured hats (not customs) made after 1960 to be junk. Then again, if you are collecting Denim jeans hats, why 70s would be vintage!

I would not say any fedora made in the 80s, 90s, or 2000s is "vintage," but I guess we are pretty close to vintage for 70s and 60s. I mean, 1960 is already 50 years ago! 50 sound vintage to me!

Me, I have less problem with "vintage" than I do "rare"," as randooch said.

Anytime you see "rare" it is almost never correct.

frussell

One Too Many
All this time I thought "mode edge" meant that the hat's edge was not overgrown or fuzzy, as in "my lawn is freshly mode." You learn a lot on this forum.

fmw

One Too Many
Or goon or gangster. What great terms to use to motivate people to buy something!

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
The adjective, "stunning" comes to mind. Just how is it that the item you're hawking will stun us?? Shipping costs? :confused:
I think a lot of people that think they have an item of value to sell on ebay simply don't know how to write a listing, so they copy others that came before them and use the same old trite words in their listings.

TCMfan25

Practically Family
I saw Pimp listed on some Homburgs a while back.
Pimp.jpg
I fail to see any real correlation between this Pimp's Polyester Velour Finish Gambler Thingie, and this
homburg.jpg
Let alone the people under them.

I do not know how "Pimp" could draw anyone into buying a hat... unless of course... you tune into this thing and his friends...
lil-wayne-yuma.jpg

Last edited:

_Nightwing

One of the Regulars
I love the term "Spaceweight" used on my early sixties Champ - it's such a cute pre-Apollo, rocket age, Disney's Futureland, George Jetson type term. "Have a look at my hat, Bill. Now have you ever seen anything like that before? It's a genuine Spaceweight." Such is how I annoy my friends with it. It really is a light hat though. I looked up the term on the internet a few weeks ago and found a marketing terms website which I can no longer rediscover, but it explained that the term came into use in the early sixties and died out by the seventies, and was used to describe all kinds of products from hats to bicycles. Very interesting stuff. Personally I'm trying to bring it back because I like the sense of engineering and optimism wrapped up in that word. My new suits are cheap anymore, they're Spaceweights.

HamletJSD

A-List Customer
Panama hats are full of marketing terms... Or at least terms aimed at confusion.

Sellers assume, maybe correctly so, that most of us can't tell the difference between a fino, sub-fino, super-fino, super-mega-ultra-fino-fino, etc.; so they just throw those terms around all over. It's great seeing something labeled "super fino" when you can tell even from the (blurry) photos that it has about 20 wpi... in fact it might have even been woven with those big bendy straws...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner